Обсуждение: pg_archivecleanup bug

pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
An EDB customer reported a problem with pg_archivecleanup which I
have looked into and found a likely cause.  It is, in any event, a
bug which I think should be fixed.  It has to do with our use of
the readdir() function:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/readdir_r.html

These are the relevant bits:

| Applications wishing to check for error situations should set
| errno to 0 before calling readdir(). If errno is set to non-zero
| on return, an error occurred.

| Upon successful completion, readdir() returns a pointer to an
| object of type struct dirent. When an error is encountered, a
| null pointer is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.
| When the end of the directory is encountered, a null pointer is
| returned and errno is not changed.

Here is our current usage:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=contrib/pg_archivecleanup/pg_archivecleanup.c;h=8f77998de12f95f41bb95c3e05a14de6cdf18047;hb=7800229b36d0444cf2c61f5c5895108ee5e8ee2a#l110

So an error in scanning the directory will not be reported; the
cleanup will quietly terminate the WAL deletions without processing
the remainder of the directory.  Attached is the simplest fix,
which would report the error, stop looking for WAL files, and
continue with other clean-ups. I'm not sure we should keep the fix
that simple.  We could set a flag so that we would exit with a
non-zero code, or we could try a new directory scan as long as the
last scan found and deleted at least one WAL file.  Perhaps we want
to back-patch the simple fix and do something fancier for 9.4?

I would also add a few comment lines before committing this, if we
decide to go with the simple approach -- this is for purposes of
illustration; to facilitate discussion.

Thoughts?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> An EDB customer reported a problem with pg_archivecleanup which I
> have looked into and found a likely cause.  It is, in any event, a
> bug which I think should be fixed.  It has to do with our use of
> the readdir() function:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/readdir_r.html
>
> These are the relevant bits:
>
> | Applications wishing to check for error situations should set
> | errno to 0 before calling readdir(). If errno is set to non-zero
> | on return, an error occurred.
>
> | Upon successful completion, readdir() returns a pointer to an
> | object of type struct dirent. When an error is encountered, a
> | null pointer is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.
> | When the end of the directory is encountered, a null pointer is
> | returned and errno is not changed.
>
> Here is our current usage:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=contrib/pg_archivecleanup/pg_archivecleanup.c;h=8f77998de12f95f41bb95c3e05a14de6cdf18047;hb=7800229b36d0444cf2c61f5c5895108ee5e8ee2a#l110

> So an error in scanning the directory will not be reported; the
> cleanup will quietly terminate the WAL deletions without processing
> the remainder of the directory.  Attached is the simplest fix,
> which would report the error, stop looking for WAL files, and
> continue with other clean-ups. I'm not sure we should keep the fix
> that simple.  We could set a flag so that we would exit with a
> non-zero code, or we could try a new directory scan as long as the
> last scan found and deleted at least one WAL file.  Perhaps we want
> to back-patch the simple fix and do something fancier for 9.4?

A directory that you can't read sounds like a pretty bad thing.  I'd
be inclined to print an error message and exit forthwith.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> | Applications wishing to check for error situations should set
> | errno to 0 before calling readdir(). If errno is set to non-zero
> | on return, an error occurred.

> So an error in scanning the directory will not be reported; the
> cleanup will quietly terminate the WAL deletions without processing
> the remainder of the directory.  Attached is the simplest fix,
> which would report the error, stop looking for WAL files, and
> continue with other clean-ups. I'm not sure we should keep the fix
> that simple.  We could set a flag so that we would exit with a
> non-zero code, or we could try a new directory scan as long as the
> last scan found and deleted at least one WAL file.  Perhaps we want
> to back-patch the simple fix and do something fancier for 9.4?

A quick grep shows about ten other readdir() usages, most of which
have a similar disease.

In general, I think there is no excuse for code in the backend to use
readdir() directly; it should be using ReadDir(), which takes care of this
as well as error reporting.  It appears that src/backend/storage/ipc/dsm.c
didn't get that memo; it certainly is innocent of any error checking
concerns.  But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In general, I think there is no excuse for code in the backend to use
> readdir() directly; it should be using ReadDir(), which takes care of this
> as well as error reporting.

My understanding is that the fd.c infrastructure can't be used in the
postmaster.

I agree that sucks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> In general, I think there is no excuse for code in the backend to use
>> readdir() directly; it should be using ReadDir(), which takes care of this
>> as well as error reporting.

> My understanding is that the fd.c infrastructure can't be used in the
> postmaster.

Say what?  See ParseConfigDirectory for code that certainly runs in the
postmaster, and uses ReadDir().
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> In general, I think there is no excuse for code in the backend to use
>>> readdir() directly; it should be using ReadDir(), which takes care of this
>>> as well as error reporting.
>
>> My understanding is that the fd.c infrastructure can't be used in the
>> postmaster.
>
> Say what?  See ParseConfigDirectory for code that certainly runs in the
> postmaster, and uses ReadDir().

Gosh, I could have sworn that I had calls into fd.c that were crashing
and burning during development because they happened too early in
postmaster startup.  But it seems to work fine now, so I've pushed a
fix for this and a few related issues.  Please let me know if you
think there are remaining issues.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
> will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
> have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
> should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
> duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?

If there's enough uniformity in all of those places to make that
feasible, it certainly seems wise to do it that way.  I don't know if
that's the case, though - e.g. maybe some callers want to exit and
others do not.  pg_resetxlog wants to exit; pg_archivecleanup and
pg_standby most likely want to print an error and carry on.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Thu, Dec  5, 2013 at 12:06:07PM -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> An EDB customer reported a problem with pg_archivecleanup which I
> have looked into and found a likely cause.  It is, in any event, a
> bug which I think should be fixed.  It has to do with our use of
> the readdir() function:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/readdir_r.html
>
> These are the relevant bits:
>
> | Applications wishing to check for error situations should set
> | errno to 0 before calling readdir(). If errno is set to non-zero
> | on return, an error occurred.
>
> | Upon successful completion, readdir() returns a pointer to an
> | object of type struct dirent. When an error is encountered, a
> | null pointer is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.
> | When the end of the directory is encountered, a null pointer is
> | returned and errno is not changed.

Wow, another case where errno clearing is necessary.  We were just
looking this requirement for getpwuid() last week.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Mon, Dec  9, 2013 at 11:27:28AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
> > will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
> > have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
> > should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
> > duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?
>
> If there's enough uniformity in all of those places to make that
> feasible, it certainly seems wise to do it that way.  I don't know if
> that's the case, though - e.g. maybe some callers want to exit and
> others do not.  pg_resetxlog wants to exit; pg_archivecleanup and
> pg_standby most likely want to print an error and carry on.

I have developed the attached patch which fixes all cases where
readdir() wasn't checking for errno, and cleaned up the syntax in other
cases to be consistent.

While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:48 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec  9, 2013 at 11:27:28AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> > But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
>> > will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
>> > have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
>> > should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
>> > duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?
>>
>> If there's enough uniformity in all of those places to make that
>> feasible, it certainly seems wise to do it that way.  I don't know if
>> that's the case, though - e.g. maybe some callers want to exit and
>> others do not.  pg_resetxlog wants to exit; pg_archivecleanup and
>> pg_standby most likely want to print an error and carry on.
>
> I have developed the attached patch which fixes all cases where
> readdir() wasn't checking for errno, and cleaned up the syntax in other
> cases to be consistent.

Thanks!

> While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
> some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.

While I haven't read the patch, I agree that this is a back-patchable bug fix.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> I have developed the attached patch which fixes all cases where
> readdir() wasn't checking for errno, and cleaned up the syntax in other
> cases to be consistent.

1. One common thing missed wherever handling for errno is added
is below check which is present in all existing cases where errno
is used (initdb.c, pg_resetxlog.c, ReadDir, ..)

#ifdef WIN32
/*
* This fix is in mingw cvs (runtime/mingwex/dirent.c rev 1.4), but not in
* released version
*/
if (GetLastError() == ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES)
errno = 0;
#endif

2.
! if (errno || closedir(chkdir) == -1) result = -1; /* some kind of I/O error? */

Is there a special need to check return value of closedir in this
function, as all other uses (initdb.c, pg_resetxlog.c, pgfnames.c)
of it in similar context doesn't check the same?

One thing I think for which this code needs change is to check
errno before closedir as is done in initdb.c or pg_resetxlog.c

> While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
> some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.

+1

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:25:46AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > I have developed the attached patch which fixes all cases where
> > readdir() wasn't checking for errno, and cleaned up the syntax in other
> > cases to be consistent.
>

> 1. One common thing missed wherever handling for errno is added
> is below check which is present in all existing cases where errno
> is used (initdb.c, pg_resetxlog.c, ReadDir, ..)
>
> #ifdef WIN32
> /*
> * This fix is in mingw cvs (runtime/mingwex/dirent.c rev 1.4), but not in
> * released version
> */
> if (GetLastError() == ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES)
> errno = 0;
> #endif

Very good point.  I have modified the patch to add this block in all
cases where it was missing.  I started to wonder about the comment and
if the Mingw fix was released.  Based on some research, I see this as
fixed in mingw-runtime-3.2, released 2003-10-10.  That's pretty old.
(What I don't know is when that was paired with Msys in a bundled
release.)  Here is the Mingw fixed code:
http://ftp.ntua.gr/mirror/mingw/OldFiles/mingw-runtime-3.2-src.tar.gz    {      /* Get the next search entry. */
if(_tfindnext (dirp->dd_handle, &(dirp->dd_dta)))    {      /* We are off the end or otherwise error.         _findnext
setserrno to ENOENT if no more file         Undo this. */      DWORD winerr = GetLastError();      if (winerr ==
ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES)       errno = 0;

The current code has a better explanation:
http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mingw-org-wsl/ci/master/tree/src/libcrt/tchar/dirent.cif( dirp->dd_private.dd_stat++ > 0
){   /* Otherwise...    *    * Get the next search entry. POSIX mandates that this must    * return NULL after the last
entryhas been read, but that it    * MUST NOT change errno in this case. MS-Windows _findnext()    * DOES change errno
(toENOENT) after the last entry has been    * read, so we must be prepared to restore it to its previous    * value,
whenno actual error has occurred.    */    int prev_errno = errno;    if( DIRENT_UPDATE( dirp->dd_private ) != 0 )    {
      /* May be an error, or just the case described above...        */        if( GetLastError() ==
ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES)        /*        * ...which requires us to reset errno.        */        errno = prev_errno;

but it is basically doing the same thing.  I am wondering if we should
back-patch the PG code block where it was missing, and remove it from
head in all places on the logic that everyone running 9.4 will have a
post-3.1 version of Mingw.  Postgres 8.4 was released in 2009 and it is
possible some people are still using pre-3.2 Mingw versions with that PG
release.

> 2.
> ! if (errno || closedir(chkdir) == -1)
>   result = -1; /* some kind of I/O error? */
>
> Is there a special need to check return value of closedir in this
> function, as all other uses (initdb.c, pg_resetxlog.c, pgfnames.c)
> of it in similar context doesn't check the same?
>
> One thing I think for which this code needs change is to check
> errno before closedir as is done in initdb.c or pg_resetxlog.c

Yes, good point.  Patch adjusted to add this.

> > While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
> > some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.
>
> +1

The larger the patch gets, the more worried I am about backpatching.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
> Very good point.  I have modified the patch to add this block in all
> cases where it was missing.  I started to wonder about the comment and
> if the Mingw fix was released.  Based on some research, I see this as
> fixed in mingw-runtime-3.2, released 2003-10-10.  That's pretty old.

Yeah.  I would vote for removing that code in all branches.  There is no
reason to suppose somebody is going to install 8.4.22 on a machine that
they haven't updated mingw on since 2003.  Or, if you prefer, just remove
it in HEAD --- but going around and *adding* more copies seems like
make-work.  The fact that we've not heard complaints about the omissions
is good evidence that nobody's using the buggy mingw versions anymore.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Very good point.  I have modified the patch to add this block in all
>> cases where it was missing.  I started to wonder about the comment and
>> if the Mingw fix was released.  Based on some research, I see this as
>> fixed in mingw-runtime-3.2, released 2003-10-10.  That's pretty old.
>
> Yeah.  I would vote for removing that code in all branches.  There is no
> reason to suppose somebody is going to install 8.4.22 on a machine that
> they haven't updated mingw on since 2003.  Or, if you prefer, just remove
> it in HEAD --- but going around and *adding* more copies seems like
> make-work.  The fact that we've not heard complaints about the omissions
> is good evidence that nobody's using the buggy mingw versions anymore.

I don't think it is.  Right now we're not checking errno *at all* in a
bunch of these places, so we're sure not going to get complaints about
doing it incorrectly in those places.  Or do I need more caffeine?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03:46AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >> Very good point.  I have modified the patch to add this block in all
> >> cases where it was missing.  I started to wonder about the comment and
> >> if the Mingw fix was released.  Based on some research, I see this as
> >> fixed in mingw-runtime-3.2, released 2003-10-10.  That's pretty old.
> >
> > Yeah.  I would vote for removing that code in all branches.  There is no
> > reason to suppose somebody is going to install 8.4.22 on a machine that
> > they haven't updated mingw on since 2003.  Or, if you prefer, just remove
> > it in HEAD --- but going around and *adding* more copies seems like
> > make-work.  The fact that we've not heard complaints about the omissions
> > is good evidence that nobody's using the buggy mingw versions anymore.
>
> I don't think it is.  Right now we're not checking errno *at all* in a
> bunch of these places, so we're sure not going to get complaints about
> doing it incorrectly in those places.  Or do I need more caffeine?

You are correct.  This code is seriously broken and I am susprised we
have not gotten more complaints.  Good thing readdir/closedir rarely
fail.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03:46AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah.  I would vote for removing that code in all branches.  There is no
> > > reason to suppose somebody is going to install 8.4.22 on a machine that
> > > they haven't updated mingw on since 2003.  Or, if you prefer, just remove
> > > it in HEAD --- but going around and *adding* more copies seems like
> > > make-work.  The fact that we've not heard complaints about the omissions
> > > is good evidence that nobody's using the buggy mingw versions anymore.
> >
> > I don't think it is.  Right now we're not checking errno *at all* in a
> > bunch of these places, so we're sure not going to get complaints about
> > doing it incorrectly in those places.  Or do I need more caffeine?
>
> You are correct.  This code is seriously broken and I am susprised we
> have not gotten more complaints.  Good thing readdir/closedir rarely
> fail.

I think we need to keep the check for old mingw runtime in older
branches; it seems reasonable to keep updating Postgres when new
versions come out but keep mingw the same if it doesn't break.  A good
criterion here, to me, is: would we make it a runtime error if an old
mingw version is detected?  If we would, then let's go and remove all
those errno checks.  Then we force everyone to update to a sane mingw.
But if we're not adding such a check, then we might cause subtle trouble
just because we think running old mingw is unlikely.

On another note, please let's not make the code dissimilar in some
branches just because of source code embellishments are not back-ported
out of fear.  I mean, if we want them in master, let them be in older
branches as well.  Otherwise we end up with slightly different versions
that make back-patching future fixes a lot harder, for no gain.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 18 March 2014 14:15, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escribió:

>> > I don't think it is.  Right now we're not checking errno *at all* in a
>> > bunch of these places, so we're sure not going to get complaints about
>> > doing it incorrectly in those places.  Or do I need more caffeine?
>>
>> You are correct.  This code is seriously broken and I am susprised we
>> have not gotten more complaints.  Good thing readdir/closedir rarely
>> fail.

> back-patching

Some commentary on this...

Obviously, all errors are mine.

If pg_archivecleanup is a problem, then so is pg_standby a problem.

Given the above, this means we've run for about 7 years without a
reported issue on this. If we are going to "make this better" by
actually having it throw errors in places that didn't throw errors
before, are we sure that is going to make people happier? The archive
cleanup isn't exactly critical in most cases, so dynamic errors don't
matter much.

Also, the programs were originally written to work as standalone
program as well as an archive_cleanup_command. So we can't use
PostgreSQL infrastructure (can we?). That aspect is needed to allow
testing the program before it goes live.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Given the above, this means we've run for about 7 years without a
> reported issue on this. If we are going to "make this better" by
> actually having it throw errors in places that didn't throw errors
> before, are we sure that is going to make people happier? The archive
> cleanup isn't exactly critical in most cases, so dynamic errors don't
> matter much.

We report errors returned by system calls in many other places.  I
can't see why this place should be any different.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 18 March 2014 15:50, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Given the above, this means we've run for about 7 years without a
>> reported issue on this. If we are going to "make this better" by
>> actually having it throw errors in places that didn't throw errors
>> before, are we sure that is going to make people happier? The archive
>> cleanup isn't exactly critical in most cases, so dynamic errors don't
>> matter much.
>
> We report errors returned by system calls in many other places.  I
> can't see why this place should be any different.

Sure. Just wanted to make sure it's a conscious, explicit choice to do so.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 13 March 2014 05:48, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec  9, 2013 at 11:27:28AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> > But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
>> > will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
>> > have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
>> > should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
>> > duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?
>>
>> If there's enough uniformity in all of those places to make that
>> feasible, it certainly seems wise to do it that way.  I don't know if
>> that's the case, though - e.g. maybe some callers want to exit and
>> others do not.  pg_resetxlog wants to exit; pg_archivecleanup and
>> pg_standby most likely want to print an error and carry on.
>
> I have developed the attached patch which fixes all cases where
> readdir() wasn't checking for errno, and cleaned up the syntax in other
> cases to be consistent.
>
> While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
> some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.

pg_resetxlog was not an offender here; its coding was sound.

We shouldn't be discussing backpatching a patch that contains changes
to coding style.

ISTM we should change the code with missing checks to adopt the coding
style of pg_resetxlog, not the other way around.

I assume you or Kevin have this in hand and you don't want me to apply
the patch? (Since it was originally my bug)

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 04:17:53PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
> > some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.
>
> pg_resetxlog was not an offender here; its coding was sound.
>
> We shouldn't be discussing backpatching a patch that contains changes
> to coding style.

I was going to remove the coding style changes to pg_resetxlog from the
backpatched portion.

> ISTM we should change the code with missing checks to adopt the coding
> style of pg_resetxlog, not the other way around.
>
> I assume you or Kevin have this in hand and you don't want me to apply
> the patch? (Since it was originally my bug)

I know the email subject says pg_archivecleanup but the problem is all
over our code.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 18 March 2014 18:01, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 04:17:53PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> > While I am not a fan of backpatching, the fact we are ignoring errors in
>> > some critical cases seems the non-cosmetic parts should be backpatched.
>>
>> pg_resetxlog was not an offender here; its coding was sound.
>>
>> We shouldn't be discussing backpatching a patch that contains changes
>> to coding style.
>
> I was going to remove the coding style changes to pg_resetxlog from the
> backpatched portion.

Why make style changes at all? A patch with no style changes would
mean backpatch and HEAD versions would be the same.

>> ISTM we should change the code with missing checks to adopt the coding
>> style of pg_resetxlog, not the other way around.
>>
>> I assume you or Kevin have this in hand and you don't want me to apply
>> the patch? (Since it was originally my bug)
>
> I know the email subject says pg_archivecleanup but the problem is all
> over our code.

Yes, understood.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 06:11:30PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> >> pg_resetxlog was not an offender here; its coding was sound.
> >>
> >> We shouldn't be discussing backpatching a patch that contains changes
> >> to coding style.
> >
> > I was going to remove the coding style changes to pg_resetxlog from the
> > backpatched portion.
>
> Why make style changes at all? A patch with no style changes would
> mean backpatch and HEAD versions would be the same.

The old style had errno set in two places in the loop, while the new
style has it set in only one place.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 06:11:30PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > I was going to remove the coding style changes to pg_resetxlog from the
> > > backpatched portion.
> >
> > Why make style changes at all? A patch with no style changes would
> > mean backpatch and HEAD versions would be the same.
>
> The old style had errno set in two places in the loop, while the new
> style has it set in only one place.

I think it makes more sense to have all callsites look the same in all
supported branches.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 18 March 2014 18:18, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 06:11:30PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > I was going to remove the coding style changes to pg_resetxlog from the
>> > backpatched portion.
>>
>> Why make style changes at all? A patch with no style changes would
>> mean backpatch and HEAD versions would be the same.
>
> The old style had errno set in two places in the loop, while the new
> style has it set in only one place.

Seems better to leave the previously-good coding in place. ISTM to be
clearer to use simple C.

You're doing this anyway for the backpatch, so I'm not causing you any
more work. Better one patch than two.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Simon Riggs escribió:
> On 18 March 2014 18:18, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 06:11:30PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> >> Why make style changes at all? A patch with no style changes would
> >> mean backpatch and HEAD versions would be the same.
> >
> > The old style had errno set in two places in the loop, while the new
> > style has it set in only one place.
>
> Seems better to leave the previously-good coding in place. ISTM to be
> clearer to use simple C.

If you're saying we should use that style in all readdir loops, with the
errno=0 before the loop and at the bottom of it, I don't disagree.
Let's just make sure they're all safe though (i.e. watch out for
"continue" for instance).

That said, I don't find comma expression to be particularly "not
simple".

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 18 March 2014 18:55, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> That said, I don't find comma expression to be particularly "not
> simple".

Maybe, but we've not used it before anywhere in Postgres, so I don't
see a reason to start now. Especially since C is not the native
language of many people these days and people just won't understand
it.

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 03/18/2014 09:04 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 18 March 2014 18:55, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> That said, I don't find comma expression to be particularly "not
>> simple".
>
> Maybe, but we've not used it before anywhere in Postgres, so I don't
> see a reason to start now. Especially since C is not the native
> language of many people these days and people just won't understand
> it.

Agreed. The psqlODBC code is littered with comma expressions, and the
first time I saw it, it took me a really long time to figure out what
"if (foo = malloc(...), foo) { } " meant. And I consider myself quite
experienced with C.

- Heikki

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:13:28PM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 03/18/2014 09:04 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >On 18 March 2014 18:55, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> >>That said, I don't find comma expression to be particularly "not
> >>simple".
> >
> >Maybe, but we've not used it before anywhere in Postgres, so I don't
> >see a reason to start now. Especially since C is not the native
> >language of many people these days and people just won't understand
> >it.
>
> Agreed. The psqlODBC code is littered with comma expressions, and
> the first time I saw it, it took me a really long time to figure out
> what "if (foo = malloc(...), foo) { } " meant. And I consider myself
> quite experienced with C.

I can see how the comma syntax would be confusing, though it does the
job well.  Attached is a patch that does the double-errno.  However,
some of these loops are large, and there are 'continue' calls in there,
causing the addition of many new errno locations.  I am not totally
comfortable that this new coding layout will stay unbroken.

Would people accept?

    for (errno = 0; (dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL; errno = 0)

That would keep the errno's together and avoid the 'continue' additions.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
> Would people accept?

>     for (errno = 0; (dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL; errno = 0)

It's a bit weird looking, but I agree that there's value in only needing
the errno-zeroing in precisely one place.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 03/19/2014 02:30 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:13:28PM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>>> Maybe, but we've not used it before anywhere in Postgres, so I don't
>>> see a reason to start now. Especially since C is not the native
>>> language of many people these days and people just won't understand
>>> it.
>>
>> Agreed. The psqlODBC code is littered with comma expressions, and
>> the first time I saw it, it took me a really long time to figure out
>> what "if (foo = malloc(...), foo) { } " meant. And I consider myself
>> quite experienced with C.
>
> I can see how the comma syntax would be confusing, though it does the
> job well.  Attached is a patch that does the double-errno.  However,
> some of these loops are large, and there are 'continue' calls in there,
> causing the addition of many new errno locations.  I am not totally
> comfortable that this new coding layout will stay unbroken.
>
> Would people accept?
>
>     for (errno = 0; (dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL; errno = 0)
>
> That would keep the errno's together and avoid the 'continue' additions.

That's clever. A less clever way would be:

for (;;)
{  errno = 0;  if ((dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL)    break;
}

I'm fine with either, but that's how I would naturally write it.

Yet another way would be to have a wrapper function for readdir that
resets errno, and just replace the current readdir() calls with that.

And now that I look at initdb.c, walkdir is using the comma expression
for this already. So there's some precedence, and it doesn't actually
look that bad. So I withdraw my objection for that approach; I'm fine
with any of the discussed alternatives, really.

- Heikki

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 09:59:19AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >Would people accept?
> >
> >    for (errno = 0; (dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL; errno = 0)
> >
> >That would keep the errno's together and avoid the 'continue' additions.
>
> That's clever. A less clever way would be:
>
> for (;;)
> {
>   errno = 0;
>   if ((dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL)
>     break;

> }
>
> I'm fine with either, but that's how I would naturally write it.
>
> Yet another way would be to have a wrapper function for readdir that
> resets errno, and just replace the current readdir() calls with
> that.
>
> And now that I look at initdb.c, walkdir is using the comma
> expression for this already. So there's some precedence, and it
> doesn't actually look that bad. So I withdraw my objection for that
> approach; I'm fine with any of the discussed alternatives, really.

OK, let's go with the comma.  Ironically, the for() loop would be an odd
way to avoid commas as 'for' uses commas often:

    for (i = 0, j = 1; i < 10; i++, j++)

The attached patch is slightly updated.  I will apply it to head and all
the back branches, including the stylistic change to pg_resetxlog (for
consistency) and remove the MinGW block in head.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения

Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

Дата:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 02:02:50PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The attached patch is slightly updated.  I will apply it to head and all
> the back branches, including the stylistic change to pg_resetxlog (for
> consistency) and remove the MinGW block in head.

Patch applied back through 8.4.  I had the closedir() tests backwards
and that was fixed.  I also went over all the readdir/closedir() calls
in all back branches to make sure they were properly handled.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +