Обсуждение: Contrib modules documentation online

Contrib modules documentation online

От
Albert Cervera i Areny
Дата:
I've been working on converting the current README files for all contrib
modules into sgml and add it to the documentation. There are still some fixes
to do but i'd like to have some feedback. Indeed, it wasn't agreed to have
all if any of the modules together with the core documentation.

You can see the docs on [1] in chapter VIII. If you think these could be a
good addition, please fill free to comment on how you think sections should
be organized to be consistent and easy to read.

[1] http://www.nan-tic.com/ftp/pgdoc

Re: Contrib modules documentation online

От
"Nikolay Samokhvalov"
Дата:
There is a problem with line feeds for contrib/xml2:
http://www.nan-tic.com/ftp/pgdoc/xml2.html

As for idea itself, I find it very useful (besides usability
improvements, it would help to promote Postgres advanced features).

On 8/29/07, Albert Cervera i Areny <albert@nan-tic.com> wrote:
> I've been working on converting the current README files for all contrib
> modules into sgml and add it to the documentation. There are still some fixes
> to do but i'd like to have some feedback. Indeed, it wasn't agreed to have
> all if any of the modules together with the core documentation.
>
> You can see the docs on [1] in chapter VIII. If you think these could be a
> good addition, please fill free to comment on how you think sections should
> be organized to be consistent and easy to read.
>
> [1] http://www.nan-tic.com/ftp/pgdoc

Best regards,
Nikolay

Re: Contrib modules documentation online

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Albert,

(crossed over to -docs, where it really belongs)

> I've been working on converting the current README files for all contrib
> modules into sgml and add it to the documentation. There are still some
> fixes to do but i'd like to have some feedback. Indeed, it wasn't agreed to
> have all if any of the modules together with the core documentation.
>
> You can see the docs on [1] in chapter VIII. If you think these could be a
> good addition, please fill free to comment on how you think sections should
> be organized to be consistent and easy to read.
>
> [1] http://www.nan-tic.com/ftp/pgdoc

Wow, this is really, really cool!  You're my hero.

I'm very strongly in favor of having this documentation.  However, I think it
might make sense to put "Contrib Modules" as a section under either
"Reference" or "Appendices".  Also, I don't think it's necessary to make each
command option a separate subchapter, but I can see how that would be hard to
avoid in an automated system.

Guys, would it be out of the question to do this in 8.3?  Please please?

If we go ahead with this, I'll commit to doing a contrib README cleanup so the
doc system works better.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Contrib modules documentation online

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:09:07AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Albert,
>
> (crossed over to -docs, where it really belongs)
>
> > I've been working on converting the current README files for all contrib
> > modules into sgml and add it to the documentation. There are still some
> > fixes to do but i'd like to have some feedback. Indeed, it wasn't agreed to
> > have all if any of the modules together with the core documentation.
> >
> > You can see the docs on [1] in chapter VIII. If you think these could be a
> > good addition, please fill free to comment on how you think sections should
> > be organized to be consistent and easy to read.
> >
> > [1] http://www.nan-tic.com/ftp/pgdoc
>
> Wow, this is really, really cool!  You're my hero.
>
> I'm very strongly in favor of having this documentation.  However, I think it
> might make sense to put "Contrib Modules" as a section under either
> "Reference" or "Appendices".  Also, I don't think it's necessary to make each
> command option a separate subchapter, but I can see how that would be hard to
> avoid in an automated system.
>
> Guys, would it be out of the question to do this in 8.3?  Please please?
>
> If we go ahead with this, I'll commit to doing a contrib README cleanup so the
> doc system works better.

One question... would there still be a README in each contrib directory?
I think getting this stuff in the docs is great, but the README in the
source is also very valuable and I'd hate to lose it.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: [DOCS] Contrib modules documentation online

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> If we go ahead with this, I'll commit to doing a contrib README
> cleanup so the doc system works better.

Why wouldn't we just remove the README files altogether?  I can't
see maintaining duplicate sets of documentation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Contrib modules documentation online

От
"Joshua D. Drake"