Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit
=============================

Call for Contributions
----------------------

The PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit will take place on July 8 and 9, 2006, in
Toronto, Canada.  We are planning for a gathering of about 50 hackers,
contributors, and other friends of the PostgreSQL project to celebrate the
project's 10th anniversary, reflect on the work accomplished, establish new
contacts, and plan for the future.  The summit will feature speaker sessions,
workshops, discussion groups, and social events.  We are now looking for
content proposals.  Topics can include:

- Development, how to and how not to

- Features for the future (or of the past)

- PostgreSQL-related research projects

- Issues relating to the project's organization

- PostgreSQL-related projects

- Legal issues

- Non-profit organizations

- Advocacy, marketing

- How to make PostgreSQL more appealing to $X

- Business aspects

- Other interesting event proposals such as discussions, contests, awards, question sessions, etc. will also be
consideredif you are prepared to organize them.

There is considerable freedom in developing the program.  Anything that is
important to you, of interest to others, and of value to the project can be
reasonable.  But remember that this is a conference of PostgreSQL
contributors, so user-level talks should normally not be submitted.

Submissions and the actual sessions should be in English.  Contributions
should generally use time slots of 45 minutes, but feel free to specify
otherwise if you have special requirements.  We are also welcoming "lightning
talks" of about 5 minutes.

Send submissions to conference-submissions@lists.pgfoundry.org in free form,
but include the following information:

- your name
- your e-mail address
- title of your contribution
- type of your contribution (talk, discussion, etc.)
- abstract of up to 100 words (for publishing in the program)
- extended description (for review by the organizers, not published)

The deadline for submissions is March 31st.

Speakers and other supporters of the conference program (exception: lightning
talks) will be offered free registration.  They will also be first in line to
receive financial assistance, but we cannot guarantee any such thing at the
moment, so be prepared to pay for your travel and accomodation.

--
Peter Eisentraut
on behalf of the conference team

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Peter,

I'd need an invitation to get a visa. Is't possible ?
    Oleg
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit
> =============================
>
> Call for Contributions
> ----------------------
>
> The PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit will take place on July 8 and 9, 2006, in
> Toronto, Canada.  We are planning for a gathering of about 50 hackers,
> contributors, and other friends of the PostgreSQL project to celebrate the
> project's 10th anniversary, reflect on the work accomplished, establish new
> contacts, and plan for the future.  The summit will feature speaker sessions,
> workshops, discussion groups, and social events.  We are now looking for
> content proposals.  Topics can include:
>
> - Development, how to and how not to
>
> - Features for the future (or of the past)
>
> - PostgreSQL-related research projects
>
> - Issues relating to the project's organization
>
> - PostgreSQL-related projects
>
> - Legal issues
>
> - Non-profit organizations
>
> - Advocacy, marketing
>
> - How to make PostgreSQL more appealing to $X
>
> - Business aspects
>
> - Other interesting event proposals such as discussions, contests, awards,
>  question sessions, etc. will also be considered if you are prepared to
>  organize them.
>
> There is considerable freedom in developing the program.  Anything that is
> important to you, of interest to others, and of value to the project can be
> reasonable.  But remember that this is a conference of PostgreSQL
> contributors, so user-level talks should normally not be submitted.
>
> Submissions and the actual sessions should be in English.  Contributions
> should generally use time slots of 45 minutes, but feel free to specify
> otherwise if you have special requirements.  We are also welcoming "lightning
> talks" of about 5 minutes.
>
> Send submissions to conference-submissions@lists.pgfoundry.org in free form,
> but include the following information:
>
> - your name
> - your e-mail address
> - title of your contribution
> - type of your contribution (talk, discussion, etc.)
> - abstract of up to 100 words (for publishing in the program)
> - extended description (for review by the organizers, not published)
>
> The deadline for submissions is March 31st.
>
> Speakers and other supporters of the conference program (exception: lightning
> talks) will be offered free registration.  They will also be first in line to
> receive financial assistance, but we cannot guarantee any such thing at the
> moment, so be prepared to pay for your travel and accomodation.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
oleg@sai.msu.su (Oleg Bartunov) writes:
> I'd need an invitation to get a visa. Is't possible ?

"Certainty" is difficult to promise, but there is a reasonable
population of relevant people here such that invitations can be
arranged.

In view of the fact that it can take a fair bit of time to arrange
visas, this is something we should watch for pretty early...

Now is not too early to be arranging for passports and visas...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/internet.html

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Chris Browne wrote:
> oleg@sai.msu.su (Oleg Bartunov) writes:
> > I'd need an invitation to get a visa. Is't possible ?
>
> "Certainty" is difficult to promise, but there is a reasonable
> population of relevant people here such that invitations can be
> arranged.

I suggest that everyone who needs invitations or other documentation, be
it for arranging a visa or getting a day off work or whatever, write to
conference-plan@pgfoundry.org and we'll work it out.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just curious, but what is involved in these "invitations"?  For instance,
is there a limit on # of invitations any one person(?) or company can
issue?  Are there any legal implications of issuing such an invitation?  I
could imagine some pretty hot water if "pre 9/11" someone were to invite
bin Laden to a conference, and had the twin towers go down while he was
here, for instance ...

----

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2006-03-02 kell 15:35, kirjutas Marc G. Fournier:
> Just curious, but what is involved in these "invitations"?  For instance,
> is there a limit on # of invitations any one person(?) or company can
> issue?  Are there any legal implications of issuing such an invitation?

Sure. The one who dares to invite anybody is called to an aeroport and
strip-searched as well, legal or not.

---------------
Hannu

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 11:51 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit will take place on July 8 and 9, 2006, in
> Toronto, Canada.  We are planning for a gathering of about 50 hackers,
> contributors, and other friends of the PostgreSQL project to celebrate the
> project's 10th anniversary, reflect on the work accomplished, establish new
> contacts, and plan for the future.

One thing I'd like to add: we're considering organizing a "code sprint"
for the days immediately following the conference. This would be an
opportunity for people interested in contributing to PostgreSQL to work
together in the same (large) room. I'm hoping that some of the major
contributors will be there, but anyone who's at the summit is welcome to
join us. We'll have a bunch of planned projects to work on, but I'd
encourage everyone to bring their own project ideas as well. You'll need
your own laptop, or have someone you can pair program with.

Before we go any farther organizing the sprint, I'd like to get an idea
how much interest there is. If you're likely to attend the summit and
would be interested in staying for the code sprint, please let me know.
You should include you how many days you'd be interested in sprinting
for (I'd like to do at least one day, and perhaps two).

Thanks,

Neil

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

Дата:
Yea, sure I would like to attend.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
FOlks,

> One thing I'd like to add: we're considering organizing a "code sprint"
> for the days immediately following the conference.

To add further.   There will probably be a "code sprint" AT the conference
as well.   Then Monday and Tuesday for an "extended code sprint".   We're
still discussing it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
The world rejoiced as scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier") wrote:
> Just curious, but what is involved in these "invitations"?  For
> instance, is there a limit on # of invitations any one person(?) or
> company can issue?  Are there any legal implications of issuing such
> an invitation?  I could imagine some pretty hot water if "pre 9/11"
> someone were to invite bin Laden to a conference, and had the twin
> towers go down while he was here, for instance ...

Here should be the authoritative information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html Countries/Territories Requiring Visas

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.html  Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a Temporary
ResidentVisa to Enter Canada

If an .se address implies Swedish citizenship, there's good news;
Swedes don't need a visa to come to Canada.  Ditto for pretty well all
of Western Europe, all of North America (including Mexico), and Japan.

I expect that most of those likely to need visas (and letters) will
hearken from Eastern Europe or Asia.

It's worth noting that whomever is providing that letter of invitation
has to be prepared to send, to our foreign friends, a photocopy of our
own Canadian birth certificate or some equivalent thereof.

Not to say that this is *spectacularly* intimate information, but I
daresay people would Not Be Pleased if such material got misused.

There is some fairness there; the requirements are nicely laid out,
and the "intimacies" go in both directions.

The other "pointy bit" is that the letter of invitation needs to
indicate the inviter's relationship to the person being invited.  I
expect that would need to be a tad more specific than merely "he's
some guy from Sweden that I heard about on the Internet"...

What this all implies is that these Letters of Invitation do indeed
impose a certain degree of legal burden (whether highly formalized or
not) such that I'm sure NOT going to be heading to the printers so I
can send them out by the gross...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/languages.html

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

>   Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a
>   Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada

I missed that this was happening up here in Canada. How exclusive is the guest
list for this? Like, are you only expecting 50 top contributors by invitation
only or is anyone who can make it welcome? What kind of costs are anticipated?

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark) writes:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
>
>>   Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a
>>   Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada
>
> I missed that this was happening up here in Canada. How exclusive is
> the guest list for this? Like, are you only expecting 50 top
> contributors by invitation only or is anyone who can make it
> welcome? What kind of costs are anticipated?

It's not intended to be punitively high priced, so as to keep it
exclusive, but the more expensive you find it to travel to Toronto,
the more you'll find it costs, naturally...  I'll probably grouse
about parking costs a bit, at some point, but I won't have a thousand
dollar plane ticket to pay for, to be sure... ;-)

I think there is some desire to have some amount of funding provided
for travel/accomodations based on what can be raised thru SPI; that's
certainly still a matter in flux.  The answers aren't clear yet...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
btw,

how expensive is to go to the Niagara waterfall from Toronto ?
I'd like to take an opportunity to see it.

Oleg

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Chris Browne wrote:

> gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark) writes:
>> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
>>
>>>   Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a
>>>   Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada
>>
>> I missed that this was happening up here in Canada. How exclusive is
>> the guest list for this? Like, are you only expecting 50 top
>> contributors by invitation only or is anyone who can make it
>> welcome? What kind of costs are anticipated?
>
> It's not intended to be punitively high priced, so as to keep it
> exclusive, but the more expensive you find it to travel to Toronto,
> the more you'll find it costs, naturally...  I'll probably grouse
> about parking costs a bit, at some point, but I won't have a thousand
> dollar plane ticket to pay for, to be sure... ;-)
>
> I think there is some desire to have some amount of funding provided
> for travel/accomodations based on what can be raised thru SPI; that's
> certainly still a matter in flux.  The answers aren't clear yet...

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:07:06 +0300 (MSK)
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> how expensive is to go to the Niagara waterfall from Toronto ?
> I'd like to take an opportunity to see it.

If you are driving, Niagara Falls is about one hour from Toronto.  Cost is a tank of gas and parking.  Looking at the
fallsis free.  There are special tours like the Maid of the Mist (a boat that goes to the base of the falls) and a tour
throughthe tunnels behind the falls which have some cost.  Not a particularly expensive side trip.

Those of us who live here should think about some entertainment possibilities.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Here should be the authoritative information:
>
> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html
>   Countries/Territories Requiring Visas
>
> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.html
>   Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a
>   Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada

Wow, this is a great deal of burden that for sure I didn't have to do
last time :-(  Not sure why, maybe the laws changed or something.  It is
crystal clear that I have to do it this time however.

Thanks for the pointers.  I'm looking forward to finding somebody who
wants to "sponsor" me on this issue ... or maybe get me a passport from
the Holy See.

> The other "pointy bit" is that the letter of invitation needs to
> indicate the inviter's relationship to the person being invited.  I
> expect that would need to be a tad more specific than merely "he's
> some guy from Sweden that I heard about on the Internet"...

Rats :-(

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
> Wow, this is a great deal of burden that for sure I didn't have to do
> last time :-(  Not sure why, maybe the laws changed or something.  It is
> crystal clear that I have to do it this time however.

I think you're overreacting guys... I would first try and go to the
nearest Canadian embassy and try to get the visa. I bet in most of the
cases they will just issue it without any invitation letter and the
like... if not, only then worry about it ;-)

I'm also citizen from one of the countries (Romania) which require visas
to most of the world (or it required, the situation's relaxing in this
respect), and I never had any problems getting one. Or maybe it changed
after 9/11 ?

Cheers,
Csaba.

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Csaba Nagy wrote:
> > Wow, this is a great deal of burden that for sure I didn't have to do
> > last time :-(  Not sure why, maybe the laws changed or something.  It is
> > crystal clear that I have to do it this time however.
>
> I think you're overreacting guys... I would first try and go to the
> nearest Canadian embassy and try to get the visa. I bet in most of the
> cases they will just issue it without any invitation letter and the
> like... if not, only then worry about it ;-)

Yeah, you may be right, sorry.  The .gc.ca page says "updated
2004-02-17" so it must be the same page that was in place when I
solicited the visa last year.  However, the invitation letter was very
simple, didn't include any of the confidential information, and actually
it wasn't issued by a Canadian person at all!  It was signed by the
EnterpriseDB guys.

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for

От
"Luke Lonergan"
Дата:
Peter,

I'm asking our performance lead, Ayush Parashar, to develop a talk proposal
that will discuss performance of Postgres, including enhancements like the
on-disk bitmap index, sort improvements, etc.  We'd also like to discuss the
business intelligence use-cases and where parallelism is applicable.

Where would such a talk fit in the program?

- Luke

On 3/1/06 2:51 AM, "Peter Eisentraut" <petere@postgresql.org> wrote:

> PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit
> =============================
>
> Call for Contributions
> ----------------------

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Greg Stark
Дата:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> > http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.html
> >   Letter of Invitation for Countries Whose Citizens Require a
> >   Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada
>
> Wow, this is a great deal of burden that for sure I didn't have to do
> last time :-(  Not sure why, maybe the laws changed or something.  It is
> crystal clear that I have to do it this time however.

Are you sure that "Temporary Resident Visa" is what you need?
Isn't the regular visa people get called just a "Guest Visa"?

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 07:50:51AM -0800, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I'm asking our performance lead, Ayush Parashar, to develop a talk proposal
> that will discuss performance of Postgres, including enhancements like the
> on-disk bitmap index, sort improvements, etc.  We'd also like to discuss the
> business intelligence use-cases and where parallelism is applicable.
>
> Where would such a talk fit in the program?

On a related note, I'm wondering if there's any non-technical
business-oriented things folks would be interested in hearing about,
perhaps stuff relating to corporate support and use of PostgreSQL.

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for

От
Ned Lilly
Дата:
I'm interested in such a discussion, at least informally.  I'd probably
even sit politely and listen to a presentation ;-)

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 07:50:51AM -0800, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I'm asking our performance lead, Ayush Parashar, to develop a talk proposal
>> that will discuss performance of Postgres, including enhancements like the
>> on-disk bitmap index, sort improvements, etc.  We'd also like to discuss the
>> business intelligence use-cases and where parallelism is applicable.
>>
>> Where would such a talk fit in the program?
>
> On a related note, I'm wondering if there's any non-technical
> business-oriented things folks would be interested in hearing about,
> perhaps stuff relating to corporate support and use of PostgreSQL.

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark) wrote:
> Are you sure that "Temporary Resident Visa" is what you need?
> Isn't the regular visa people get called just a "Guest Visa"?

That's possible too...  It is probably a good idea to contact a local
Canadian embassy to see what they think will be required.  This may be
"tilting over windmills" a bit.

Checking early is still a good idea, after all, if you haven't got a
passport, it may take some time to get that.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:
> I missed that this was happening up here in Canada. How exclusive is
> the guest list for this? Like, are you only expecting 50 top
> contributors by invitation only or is anyone who can make it welcome?

Everyone is hereby invited.

> What kind of costs are anticipated?

We don't know that yet.  We're going to tell as soon as we have a
reliable calculation.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> I'm asking our performance lead, Ayush Parashar, to develop a talk
> proposal that will discuss performance of Postgres, including
> enhancements like the on-disk bitmap index, sort improvements, etc.
> We'd also like to discuss the business intelligence use-cases and
> where parallelism is applicable.

That sounds reasonable.  Please feel free to use the published
submissions address to discuss your proposal if you're not sure about
it.  But I must point out that everyone who copies replies to this
thread to the announce mailing list will be required to attend a
mandatory mailing list conduct seminar on Friday July 7, 20:00. :-)

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> > What kind of costs are anticipated?
>
> We don't know that yet.  We're going to tell as soon as we have a
> reliable calculation.

However, it's looking like registration will be around $175-$200 USD per
developer.  Sponsorships may bring that down, but I'm not counting on it.

Accomodations will range between $50/night to $110 per night depending on
where you want to stay.  Airfare is your own lookout; again, we're looking to
get help for airfare for important speakers coming from very far away, but I
don't have money in the bank yet.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Accomodations will range between $50/night to $110 per night depending on
> where you want to stay.

Sometime you ought to clue us in on where the event is being held.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Dienstag, 7. März 2006 08:50 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Sometime you ought to clue us in on where the event is being held.

It's at Ryerson University in downtown Toronto.  There will be a web site with
further information Real Soon Now.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"Dave Page"

Do you have someone with some local knowledge who can recommend some nearby hotels?

Regards, Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:

> However, it's looking like registration will be around $175-$200 USD per
> developer.  Sponsorships may bring that down, but I'm not counting on it.

I suppose that's about as cheap as one can expect for this kind of thing.

> Accomodations will range between $50/night to $110 per night depending on
> where you want to stay.

Uh oh, $50 sounds light for downtown; you aren't thinking of doing this
thing somewhere out in Toronto's nigh infinite suburbs are you?

(I have a personal reason for hoping it's downtown -- I have basically free
accomodations downtown:)

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:04 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> Uh oh, $50 sounds light for downtown; you aren't thinking of doing
> this
> thing somewhere out in Toronto's nigh infinite suburbs are you?

The Bay Street Hotel has rooms for about $60/night and is located within
a 7 minute walk of Ryerson.

http://toronto.hotelguide.net/data/h100246.htm

But yes, a larger brandname hotel will be closer to the $200/night mark
and the luxury suites top out at about $5000/night.

In short, there is a fairly wide range of accommodations.
--

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Josh Berkus
People:

> > Uh oh, $50 sounds light for downtown; you aren't thinking of doing
> > this
> > thing somewhere out in Toronto's nigh infinite suburbs are you?

Since Ryerson is a university, they will rent us some dorm rooms for a cost
below that of nearby hotels for the budget-conscious.

BTW, the web site is up, it's just not fully populated yet:
conference.postgresql.org

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:56:23AM -0000, Dave Page wrote:

> Do you have someone with some local knowledge who can recommend
> some nearby hotels?

Yes.

If you go to <http://conference.postgresql.org/Location/>, I've put
up some information about this.  I'll be expanding those pages as
things move along.

BTW, now that we seem to be really underway, I'll also likely be
contacting known-to-be-local people and hitting them up for specific
things we might need.  The organisers group was (at my insistence, so
you all can blame me) kept small initially because the timeline for
this was, I thought, extremely compressed (so I thought we had to
nail down some things before we started getting too many people
involved).  If you are local to the Toronto area, are willing to help
with the many on-the-ground things that are likely needed to be done,
and will be available to do so, I eagerly solicit your help.  Please
contact me off list in that case.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.    --Roger Brinner

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:13:54 -0500
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> BTW, now that we seem to be really underway, I'll also likely be
> contacting known-to-be-local people and hitting them up for specific
> things we might need.  The organisers group was (at my insistence, so
> you all can blame me) kept small initially because the timeline for
> this was, I thought, extremely compressed (so I thought we had to
> nail down some things before we started getting too many people
> involved).  If you are local to the Toronto area, are willing to help
> with the many on-the-ground things that are likely needed to be done,
> and will be available to do so, I eagerly solicit your help.  Please
> contact me off list in that case.

What type of things will you be needing?  I can probably spare some time.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 16:18:43 -0500
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
> What type of things will you be needing?  I can probably spare some time.

Doh!  Sorry about that.  I did reply instead of reply all thinking it would only go to Andrew.  I didn't meant to send
tothe list.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

> Thanks for the pointers.  I'm looking forward to finding somebody who
> wants to "sponsor" me on this issue ... or maybe get me a passport from
> the Holy See.
>
> > The other "pointy bit" is that the letter of invitation needs to
> > indicate the inviter's relationship to the person being invited.  I
> > expect that would need to be a tad more specific than merely "he's
> > some guy from Sweden that I heard about on the Internet"...
>
> Rats :-(

This isn't going to be a problem for you.   We'll put your stuff in the
works; Andrew or Neil will have to invite you.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just curious, but how do ppl come to Canada as tourists from other
countries?  I don't imagine they need to be "invited" by a Canadian, do
they?

----

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Quoth scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier"):
> Just curious, but how do ppl come to Canada as tourists from other
> countries?  I don't imagine they need to be "invited" by a Canadian,
> do they?

Well, the "invitation" thing doesn't apply at all to people from North
America or Western Europe; it's generally just applicable to those
coming from Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America.

Much of those regions represent "developing countries," where the
notion of "middle class" is emerging as opposed to being a mature
thing.

Absent of "middle class," you generally have the other two ends,
namely lower-lower class, who can't conceivably afford to be
"tourists," and "upper class," who can certainly arrange invitations
(if not diplomatic status :-) !).

In my lifetime, the world has quite changed.  Thirty years ago, the
only way Russians would be coming to Canada would be under pretty
strict scrutiny of the apparatus of the former Soviet Union, which
would definitely elicit suspicion.  Either you'd be of
governmental/diplomatic status, an athlete/performer, or, well, quite
likely you're an undeclared spy...

It's quite an enormous change for relatively ordinary people (well, if
they're working on PostgreSQL, they've got to be at least a little
extraordinary! ;-)) to be "just visiting" from such places.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
It's still not easy to come from Russia to Canada. I have to convince
officer in canadian embassy that

1) I have enough money for living in Canada
2) I don't want to immigrate
3) I'm a loyal citizen

Invitation from conference commitee could help me to get an official letter
from my institute to embassy (1,2). But we still have 3)
I should get references for all members of my family from our police
department that we're not criminals :) There is no united database, so I
should get references from all places I live ! This is awful and I'm about
to  give up, even if I'd be able to afford tickets.
    Oleg

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Quoth scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier"):
>> Just curious, but how do ppl come to Canada as tourists from other
>> countries?  I don't imagine they need to be "invited" by a Canadian,
>> do they?
>
> Well, the "invitation" thing doesn't apply at all to people from North
> America or Western Europe; it's generally just applicable to those
> coming from Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America.
>
> Much of those regions represent "developing countries," where the
> notion of "middle class" is emerging as opposed to being a mature
> thing.
>
> Absent of "middle class," you generally have the other two ends,
> namely lower-lower class, who can't conceivably afford to be
> "tourists," and "upper class," who can certainly arrange invitations
> (if not diplomatic status :-) !).
>
> In my lifetime, the world has quite changed.  Thirty years ago, the
> only way Russians would be coming to Canada would be under pretty
> strict scrutiny of the apparatus of the former Soviet Union, which
> would definitely elicit suspicion.  Either you'd be of
> governmental/diplomatic status, an athlete/performer, or, well, quite
> likely you're an undeclared spy...
>
> It's quite an enormous change for relatively ordinary people (well, if
> they're working on PostgreSQL, they've got to be at least a little
> extraordinary! ;-)) to be "just visiting" from such places.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> It's still not easy to come from Russia to Canada. I have to convince
> officer in canadian embassy that
>
> 1) I have enough money for living in Canada
> 2) I don't want to immigrate
> 3) I'm a loyal citizen
>
> Invitation from conference commitee could help me to get an official letter
> from my institute to embassy (1,2). But we still have 3)
> I should get references for all members of my family from our police
> department that we're not criminals :) There is no united database, so I
> should get references from all places I live ! This is awful and I'm about
> to  give up, even if I'd be able to afford tickets.

Yowch!  I know it must have improved somewhat since (doesn't it?),
post-Cold War Russia was well painted in the media as 'corrupt and heavy
crime rate' side of things (news rarely reports the good, since the bad is
what sells) ... and none of *that* helps make, *at least* 2 in the above
any easier ;(

----

Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Oleg,

> Invitation from conference commitee could help me to get an official
> letter
> from my institute to embassy (1,2). But we still have 3)
> I should get references for all members of my family from our police
> department that we're not criminals :) There is no united database,
> so I should get references from all places I live ! This is awful and
> I'm about
> to  give up, even if I'd be able to afford tickets.

Can we take this to an appropriate place to deal with it, rather than
the -Hackers list?   Like -advocacy?

Of course we, the conference organizers will do what we can to help you
come over to the conference.  I take it that you need that invitation
letter sooner rather than later?

--Josh

informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com  and data management solutions       (415) 752-2500 for law firms, small
businesses       fax 752-2387   and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco