Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit, Call for Contributions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> It's still not easy to come from Russia to Canada. I have to convince
> officer in canadian embassy that
>
> 1) I have enough money for living in Canada
> 2) I don't want to immigrate
> 3) I'm a loyal citizen
>
> Invitation from conference commitee could help me to get an official letter
> from my institute to embassy (1,2). But we still have 3)
> I should get references for all members of my family from our police
> department that we're not criminals :) There is no united database, so I
> should get references from all places I live ! This is awful and I'm about
> to  give up, even if I'd be able to afford tickets.

Yowch!  I know it must have improved somewhat since (doesn't it?),
post-Cold War Russia was well painted in the media as 'corrupt and heavy
crime rate' side of things (news rarely reports the good, since the bad is
what sells) ... and none of *that* helps make, *at least* 2 in the above
any easier ;(

----