Обсуждение: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"3rd."
Дата:
hello,

i've been trying now for the last hour to use your
sites search feature.

guess what it doesn't work.

i've tried with 2 different browsers about 20 times.

never once did your search feature work. it never
found anything let alone tell me it was even trying to
search. i only know it was trying to search from the
browser motion.

just now after waiting (again) i was notified your
website could not connect to whatever it has to.

i really need help with Postgresql and OS X terminal.
i cannot figure out how to create a new user. firstly
i cannot figure out how to get back into the
postgresql interactive terminal.

please help me

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, 3rd. wrote:

> hello,
>
> i've been trying now for the last hour to use your
> sites search feature.
>
> guess what it doesn't work.
>
> i've tried with 2 different browsers about 20 times.
>
> never once did your search feature work. it never
> found anything let alone tell me it was even trying to
> search. i only know it was trying to search from the
> browser motion.
>
> just now after waiting (again) i was notified your
> website could not connect to whatever it has to.
>
> i really need help with Postgresql and OS X terminal.
> i cannot figure out how to create a new user. firstly
> i cannot figure out how to get back into the
> postgresql interactive terminal.
>
> please help me

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
matt
Дата:
This is not facetious, honestly, but what about google?

site:archives.postgresql.org +"OS X" +terminal

returns just a couple of pages...

Of course there's no date ordering as such, although "+2003" works
fairly well, as does +"[ADMIN]".

Not a panacea I know, but it's quick, and it does have the whole of
archives indexed.

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 23:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...
>

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, 3rd. wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > i've been trying now for the last hour to use your
> > sites search feature.
> >
> > guess what it doesn't work.
> >
> > i've tried with 2 different browsers about 20 times.
> >
> > never once did your search feature work. it never
> > found anything let alone tell me it was even trying to
> > search. i only know it was trying to search from the
> > browser motion.
> >
> > just now after waiting (again) i was notified your
> > website could not connect to whatever it has to.
> >
> > i really need help with Postgresql and OS X terminal.
> > i cannot figure out how to create a new user. firstly
> > i cannot figure out how to get back into the
> > postgresql interactive terminal.
> >
> > please help me

> >                http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Wednesday 03 September 2003 00:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...

At a pinch and as an alternative there's always google: use

site:archives.postgresql.org "search terms here"

or similar and it does a very quick search. Unfortunately
index seems to be about a month behind.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Wednesday 03 September 2003 09:42, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 00:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing,
> > archives all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search
> > appears to be near impossible (anyone know something *better* then
> > mnogosearch that will handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried
> > ht/Dig before, and the resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...
>
> At a pinch and as an alternative there's always google: use
>
> site:archives.postgresql.org "search terms here"
>
> or similar and it does a very quick search. Unfortunately
> index seems to be about a month behind.

A more up-to-date alternative:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/index.php?hunt=pgsql-

Other possibilities:

  http://geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/
  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.databases.postgresql&hl=en
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ (see section "Databases")

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Dumping select tables (omitting tables)

От
Yuji Shinozaki
Дата:
I would like to dump select tables from a database (omitting some tables).

It looks like pg_dump only allows you to dump the entire database or
select single tables to dump.   Is there a way to specify to pg_dump a
list of tables to dump (or to omit)?

I can dump all the desired tables as single dumps, but
dump-many-single-tables approach is troublesome since I want to apply the
indexes at the end to make the restore more efficient (and to avoid
integrity checking until the entire database is restored)

Wouldn't that mean hand-editing the dumps to apply the indexes separately
(or at least last)?  Or can I simply concatenate all these single-table
dumps and tell pg_restore to apply the indexes last?

Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki                            Computer Systems Senior Engineer
ys2n@virginia.edu            Advanced Technologies Group
(434)924-7171                Information Technology & Communication
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ys2n    University of Virginia

Re: Dumping select tables (omitting tables)

Дата:
Yuji Shinozaki wrote:

> I would like to dump select tables from a database (omitting some tables).
>
> It looks like pg_dump only allows you to dump the entire database or
> select single tables to dump.   Is there a way to specify to pg_dump a
> list of tables to dump (or to omit)?
>
> I can dump all the desired tables as single dumps, but
> dump-many-single-tables approach is troublesome since I want to apply the
> indexes at the end to make the restore more efficient (and to avoid
> integrity checking until the entire database is restored)
>
> Wouldn't that mean hand-editing the dumps to apply the indexes separately
> (or at least last)?  Or can I simply concatenate all these single-table
> dumps and tell pg_restore to apply the indexes last?
>
> Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

You can just concatenate them, I think.  The only thing I don't know is
how referential integrity constraints will be handled because the
primary table might not exist when you create the foreign table.

We can dump specific schemas in 7.4beta.  You can do a full dump and use
pg_resetore to pull out specific tables, but then again, I don't know
how it handles referential integrity.

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...

Hi Marc, I use htdig at work to index a rather large web site and it
doesn't use resources all that bad.   My htdig db directory is only 250
megs and it screams.  Are you sure it was that bad?

Would it be ok if I pointed a test instance of htdig at postgresql.org at
night and indexed it to get an idea of how much space it'll take to index
it?  I'm a huge fan of htdig/ warts and all, so I'd kinda like to see if
it can be made to work.

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
go for it, point it at archives.postgresql.org though, since that is the
major part of the search engine

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

> > okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> > all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> > near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> > handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> > resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...
>
> Hi Marc, I use htdig at work to index a rather large web site and it
> doesn't use resources all that bad.   My htdig db directory is only 250
> megs and it screams.  Are you sure it was that bad?
>
> Would it be ok if I pointed a test instance of htdig at postgresql.org at
> night and indexed it to get an idea of how much space it'll take to index
> it?  I'm a huge fan of htdig/ warts and all, so I'd kinda like to see if
> it can be made to work.

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
k, try the search engine now ... I just found a 'missing index' on one of
the critical tables, and I'm getting more realistic speeds on search
results ...

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> go for it, point it at archives.postgresql.org though, since that is the
> major part of the search engine
>
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >

> > > okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> > > all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> > > near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> > > handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> > > resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...
> >
> > Hi Marc, I use htdig at work to index a rather large web site and it
> > doesn't use resources all that bad.   My htdig db directory is only 250
> > megs and it screams.  Are you sure it was that bad?
> >
> > Would it be ok if I pointed a test instance of htdig at postgresql.org at
> > night and indexed it to get an idea of how much space it'll take to index
> > it?  I'm a huge fan of htdig/ warts and all, so I'd kinda like to see if
> > it can be made to work.

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
Ang Chin Han
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...

(I assume we're talking about the email archives).

How about a quick and dirty script (perl, maybe) that grabs everything,
"intelligently" chucks the pseudo contents (stripping message quotes for
instance) into a pgsql table, and then see if tsearchv2 can be used to
search it via another quick and dirty CGI? Have to find some place to
host it though, the db might be huge.

Eating our own dog food and all that.

--
Linux homer 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Вложения

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Personally I'd like to see effort go into getting fts.postgresql.org
back up and going; I've always had better results searching their.

Robert Treat

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> Personally I'd like to see effort go into getting fts.postgresql.org
> back up and going; I've always had better results searching their.

As far as I know, the database side is ready for them, and Teodor has the
information, but I suspect that beta is bogging them down also ...

Fixing the index on the url table in mnogosearch appears to have made an
immense difference ... by factors of 10 ...

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

check the archive search now and let me know if you find it still doesn't
work ...

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Ang Chin Han wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > okay, first off ... what URL?  I've been working on, and testing, archives
> > all week, and altho getting things down below a 2min search appears to be
> > near impossible (anyone know something *better* then mnogosearch that will
> > handle >250k URLs and growing ... ?  we tried ht/Dig before, and the
> > resources it suck'd were outrageous) ...
>
> (I assume we're talking about the email archives).
>
> How about a quick and dirty script (perl, maybe) that grabs everything,
> "intelligently" chucks the pseudo contents (stripping message quotes for
> instance) into a pgsql table, and then see if tsearchv2 can be used to
> search it via another quick and dirty CGI? Have to find some place to
> host it though, the db might be huge.
>
> Eating our own dog food and all that.
>
> --
> Linux homer 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>    6:30pm  up 253 days,  9:51,  5 users,  load average: 5.00, 5.00, 5.00

Re: YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Can't help with the search engine, but the answer to your question is: psql
<database name>.

I'd recommend starting with the tutorial in the docs for questions like
this.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/tutorial-start.html

I can also confirm that the search engine in the docs area
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/index.html) is working. I just
used it moments ago.

-Nick

"Glenn Wiorek"
Дата:
These links might also be of help.  Found then on the Postgres Techdoc
Site -  http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/postgres.html
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/06/07/postgresql.html

> Can't help with the search engine, but the answer to your question is:
psql
> <database name>.
>
> I'd recommend starting with the tutorial in the docs for questions like
> this.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/tutorial-start.html
>
> I can also confirm that the search engine in the docs area
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/index.html) is working. I just
> used it moments ago.
>
> -Nick

Дата:
What URL are you using?  I just went to archives.postgresql.org, typed in
'mvcc' for a search and it came back in <10 seconds ...