Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    Pavel Stehule wrote:

> the name "rotate" is not correct - maybe "\cross" ?

I'm not dead set on \rotate and suggested other names
previously in [1], but none of them seems decisively
superior.

The rationale behind rotate is that, it's a synonym of pivot
as a verb,  and it's not already used for other things in SQL.

Incidentally I'm discovering by googling that people actually
searched previously for that feature with that name:
http://postgresql.nabble.com/rotate-psql-output-td3046832.html

OTOH "cross" is already used in the database vocabulary for
cross joins. Also I find it used too in "cross-db queries" or the
"cross apply" of other engines.
I think  that plays against it for choosing it to designate
something different again.

However, maybe \across may be a better fit, or "cross"
combined with some other word, as in \crossview .
Not sure how that sounds to a native english speaker.

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cd521513-1349-4698-b93c-693199962e23@mm

Best regards,
--