Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

FWIW I think the general idea of this feature (client-side resultset
"pivoting") is a good one, but I don't really have an opinion regarding
your specific proposal.  I think you should first seek some more
consensus about the proposed design; in your original thread [1] several
guys defended the idea of having this be a psql feature, and the idea of
this being a parallel to \x seems a very sensible one, but there's
really been no discussion on whether your proposed "+/-" syntax to
change sort order makes sense, for one thing.

I am sorry, but I disagree - the discussion about implementation was more than two months, and I believe so anybody who would to discuss had enough time to discuss. This feature and design was changed significantly and there was not anybody who sent feature design objection.

This feature has only small relation to SQL PIVOTING feature - it is just form of view and I am agree with Daniel about sense of this feature.

Regards

Pavel

So please can we have that wiki page so that the syntax can be hammered
out a bit more.

I'm closing this as returned-with-feedback for now.

[1] It's a good idea to add links to previous threads where things were
discussed.  I had to search for
www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/78543039-c708-4f5d-a66f-0c0fbcda1f76@mm
because you didn't provide a link to it when you started the second
thread.

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/