Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> Interesting feature, but it's not very obvious how to use it. I'd like to
> see  some example(s) in documentation.

I'm thinking of making a wiki page, because examples pretty much
require showing resultsets, and I'm not sure this would fly
with our current psql documentation, which is quite compact.

The current bit of doc I've produced is 53 lines long in manpage
format already. The text has not been proofread by a native
English speaker yet, so part of the problem might be that
it's just me struggling with english :)

> And I see an implementation of AVL tree in psql source code
> (src/bin/psql/crosstabview.c). Postgres already has a Red-Black tree
> implementation in src/include/lib/rbtree.h and
> src/backend/lib/rbtree.c. Is any advantage of using AVL tree here? I
> have some doubt about that and this implementation, obviously, will
> not be well tested. But I see in comments that implementation is
> reduced to insert only and it doesn't use the fact of ordering tree,
> so, even hash could be used.

Yes. I expect too that a RB tree or a hash-based algorithm would do
the job and perform well.

The AVL implementation in crosstabview is purposely simplified
and specialized for this job, resulting in ~185 lines of code
versus ~850 lines for rb-tree.c
But I understand the argument that the existing rb-tree has been
battle-tested, whereas this code hasn't.

I'm looking at rb-tree.c and thinking what it would take to
incorporate it:
1. duplicating or linking from backend/lib/rb-tree.c into psql/
2. replacing the elog() calls with something else in the case of psql
3. updating the crosstabview data structures and call sites.

While I'm OK with #3, #1 and #2 seem wrong.
I could adapt rb-tree.c so that the same code can be used
both client-side and server-side, but touching server-side
code for this feature and creating links in the source tree
feels invasive and overkill.

Another approach is to replace AVL with an hash-based algorithm,
but that raises the same sort of question. If crosstabview comes
with its specific implementation, why use that rather than existing
server-side code? But at a glance, utils/hash/dynahash.c seems quite
hard to convert for client-side use.

I'm open to ideas on this. In particular, if we have a hash table
implementation that is already blessed by the project and small enough
to make sense in psql, I'd be happy to consider it.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite