Обсуждение: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
Hello,

I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently running on top
of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and API one could imagine.

I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
psql) with:

- C code to run SQL commands from char strings
- ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
- JDBC

To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):

# zypper search postg
   | libgda-5_0-postgres          | PostgreSQL Provider for GNU Data Access-> | package
i+ | postgresql-init              | Init script and other infrastructure fo-> | package
   | postgresql-init              | Init script and other infrastructure fo-> | srcpackage
i+ | postgresql-jdbc              | Official JDBC Driver for PostgreSQL       | package
   | postgresql-jdbc-javadoc      | API docs for postgresql-jdbc              | package
   | postgresql-unit10            | SI Units for PostgreSQL                   | package
   | postgresql10                 | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | srcpackage
i+ | postgresql10                 | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | package
i+ | postgresql10-contrib         | Contributed Extensions and Additions to-> | package
i  | postgresql10-devel           | PostgreSQL development header files and-> | package
i+ | postgresql10-docs            | HTML Documentation for PostgreSQL         | package
   | postgresql10-libs            | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | srcpackage
i+ | postgresql10-libs            | The shared libraries required for any P-> | package
   | postgresql10-odbc            | PostgreSQL ODBC driver                    | package
   | postgresql10-plperl          | The Perl procedural language for Postgr-> | package
   | postgresql10-plpython        | The Python procedural language for Post-> | package
   | postgresql10-pltcl           | The Tcl procedural language for Postgre-> | package
i+ | postgresql10-server          | The Programs Needed to Create and Run a-> | package
   | postgresql10-tcl             | A Tcl client library for PostgreSQL       | package
   | postgresql10-test            | The test suite distributed with Postgre-> | package
   | postgresql96                 | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | package
   | postgresql96                 | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | srcpackage
   | postgresql96-contrib         | Contributed Extensions and Additions to-> | package
   | postgresql96-docs            | HTML Documentation for PostgreSQL         | package
   | postgresql96-libs            | Basic Clients and Utilities for Postgre-> | srcpackage
   | postgresql96-server          | The Programs Needed to Create and Run a-> | package
   | postgresql_anonymizer10      | Anonymization & Data Masking for Postgr-> | package
   | split_postgres_dump          | Break a PostgreSQL dump file into pre-d-> | package

What I do missing to get 'pg_config'? Thanks

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
> for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently running on top
> of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and API one could imagine.
>
> I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
> psql) with:
>
> - C code to run SQL commands from char strings
> - ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
> - JDBC
>
> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):

[...]
> i  | postgresql10-devel           | PostgreSQL development header files and-> | package

That would be the one with pg_config in it.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 12:41:07 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Matthias Apitz wrote:
>> I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
>> for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently
>> running on top
>> of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and
>> API one could imagine.
>>
>> I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
>> psql) with:
>>
>> - C code to run SQL commands from char strings
>> - ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
>> - JDBCuruu
>>
>> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
>> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
>> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):
>>
> [...]
>> i  | postgresql10-devel           | PostgreSQL development
>> header files and-> | package
>
> That would be the one with pg_config in it.

But, thid is installed .... I will later unpack its RPM and have a look.

matthias

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device
http://www.unixarea.de/    +49 176 38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día sábado, abril 27, 2019 a las 11:00:53a. m. +0000, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> >> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> >> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> >> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):
> >>
> > [...]
> >> i  | postgresql10-devel           | PostgreSQL development
> >> header files and-> | package
> >
> > That would be the one with pg_config in it.
> >

> But, this is installed .... I will later unpack its RPM and have a look.

# rpm -q --list postgresql10-devel-10.4-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64 | grep pg_config
/usr/pgsql-10/include/ecpg_config.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/ecpg_config_x86_64.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/pg_config.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/pg_config_ext.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/pg_config_manual.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/pg_config_os.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/pg_config_x86_64.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/server/pg_config.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/server/pg_config_ext.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/server/pg_config_manual.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/server/pg_config_os.h
/usr/pgsql-10/include/server/pg_config_x86_64.h
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo
/usr/pgsql-10/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/pg_config-10.mo

There is no cmd 'pg_config'. Can I compile this from source?

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/27/19 12:58 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
> for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently running on top
> of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and API one could imagine.
>
> I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
> psql) with:
>
> - C code to run SQL commands from char strings
> - ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
> - JDBC
>
> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):

Did the compile process complain about not finding pg_config?

What happens if you run?:

whereis pg_config

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día sábado, abril 27, 2019 a las 06:22:00a. m. -0700, Adrian Klaver escribió:

> On 4/27/19 12:58 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
> > for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently running on top
> > of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and API one could imagine.
> >
> > I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
> > psql) with:
> >
> > - C code to run SQL commands from char strings
> > - ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
> > - JDBC
> >
> > To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> > but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> > with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):
>
> Did the compile process complain about not finding pg_config?

Yes:

Running Makefile.PL
Path to pg_config?
Configuring DBD::Pg 3.7.4
PostgreSQL version: 0 (default port: 0)
POSTGRES_HOME: /usr/pgsql-10
POSTGRES_INCLUDE: /usr/pgsql-10/include
POSTGRES_LIB: /usr/pgsql-10/lib
OS: linux
Could not determine the PostgreSQL library version.

> What happens if you run?:
>
> whereis pg_config

whereis pg_config
pg_config:

I also looked as root with find from / ... there is no pg_config
o the server and not in the installed RPM.

Meanwhile I fetched the full source of 10.4 and can build it, but ofc
this shows the data of *my* build and not the installed version:

apitzm@srap16dxr1:~/Postgres/postgresql-10.4> ./src/bin/pg_config/pg_config
BINDIR = /home/apitzm/Postgres/postgresql-10.4/src/bin/pg_config
DOCDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/share/doc
HTMLDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/share/doc
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include

But, I have an idea, I will write a simulated 'pg_config' which punches
the values of the installation when asked :-)

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:

 Matthias> There is no cmd 'pg_config'. Can I compile this from source?

Some distros separate out a 'libpq' package, and have a 'libpq-devel'
package with pg_config in it. Did you look for that?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Дата:
## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):

> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):

Um. Which postgresql10-* packages are that?
SLES12SP4 has "postgresql10" and friends:
Information for package postgresql10:
-------------------------------------
Repository     : SLES12-SP4-Updates
Name           : postgresql10
Version        : 10.6-1.6.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : SUSE LLC <https://www.suse.com/>

And there are the PGDG packages:
cmt@squirrel:/tmp$ rpm -qp --info postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm
warning: postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
Name        : postgresql10
Version     : 10.7
Release     : 1PGDG.sles12
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: (not installed)
Group       : Applications/Databases
Size        : 15066385
License     : PostgreSQL

If you are on a SLES without postgresql10 packages and use the PGDG
packages, you'll find pg_config in the "postgresql10" package (at
least it's in that postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm I used above,
and the spec file shows the same...), the full path would be
 "/usr/pgsql-10/bin/pg_config".

If you're on SLES12 with Suse's postgresql10 packages, you'll find
pg_config in "postgresql10-devel" - which you only get if you have
activated/installed the "SDK" repositories. The full path for pg_config
with this package is
  "/usr/lib/postgresql10/bin/pg_config".

If you are on a SLES with postgresql10 packages and are mixing that
with the PGDG packages, you might be in a mess. And as far as I know
there's no good way to make sure which packages you get, as zypper
tells me "Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories
share the same priority.".

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día sábado, abril 27, 2019 a las 02:39:54p. m. +0100, Andrew Gierth escribió:

>  Matthias> There is no cmd 'pg_config'. Can I compile this from source?
>
> Some distros separate out a 'libpq' package, and have a 'libpq-devel'
> package with pg_config in it. Did you look for that?

Yes, it isn't there either. Meanwhile I wrote my own 'pg_config' as:

$ cat /opt/bin/pg_config
#!/bin/sh

test $1 = '--version'   && echo 'PostgreSQL 10.4'
test $1 = '--bindir'    && echo '/usr/pgsql-10/bin'
test $1 = '--configure' && echo ''
exit 0

and with this the building went fine:

$ /usr/local/sisis-pap/perlbrew/bin/cpanm DBD::Pg
--> Working on DBD::Pg
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/T/TU/TURNSTEP/DBD-Pg-3.8.0.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring DBD-Pg-3.8.0 ... OK
Building and testing DBD-Pg-3.8.0 ... OK
Successfully installed DBD-Pg-3.8.0
1 distribution installed

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/27/19 6:33 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día sábado, abril 27, 2019 a las 06:22:00a. m. -0700, Adrian Klaver escribió:
>
>> On 4/27/19 12:58 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm investigating on a SuSE Linux SLES 12 server if we could add support
>>> for PostgreSQL 10 to our Library Management System (currently running on top
>>> of Oracle 12 and Sybase 15.7) using all kind of languages and API one could imagine.
>>>
>>> I've up and running the server and figured out how to connect (apart of
>>> psql) with:
>>>
>>> - C code to run SQL commands from char strings
>>> - ESQL/C code to embed SQL statements into C
>>> - JDBC
>>>
>>> To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
>>> but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
>>> with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):
>>
>> Did the compile process complain about not finding pg_config?
>
> Yes:

> Running Makefile.PL
> Path to pg_config?
> Configuring DBD::Pg 3.7.4
> PostgreSQL version: 0 (default port: 0)
> POSTGRES_HOME: /usr/pgsql-10
> POSTGRES_INCLUDE: /usr/pgsql-10/include
> POSTGRES_LIB: /usr/pgsql-10/lib
> OS: linux
> Could not determine the PostgreSQL library version.

I am on openSUSE LEAP and I see the package:

perl-DBD-Pg                                   | PostgreSQL database
driver for the DBI module

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día sábado, abril 27, 2019 a las 04:11:06p. m. +0200, Christoph Moench-Tegeder escribió:

> ## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):
>
> > To get Perl's DBD::Pg compiled now I really do need the pg_config tool,
> > but I can't figure out how to get it. I see the following RPM (the ones
> > with an 'i' or 'i+' are installed):
>
> Um. Which postgresql10-* packages are that?
> SLES12SP4 has "postgresql10" and friends:
> Information for package postgresql10:
> -------------------------------------
> Repository     : SLES12-SP4-Updates
> Name           : postgresql10
> Version        : 10.6-1.6.1
> Arch           : x86_64
> Vendor         : SUSE LLC <https://www.suse.com/>
>
> And there are the PGDG packages:
> cmt@squirrel:/tmp$ rpm -qp --info postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm
> warning: postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
> Name        : postgresql10
> Version     : 10.7
> Release     : 1PGDG.sles12
> Architecture: x86_64
> Install Date: (not installed)
> Group       : Applications/Databases
> Size        : 15066385
> License     : PostgreSQL
>
> If you are on a SLES without postgresql10 packages and use the PGDG
> packages, you'll find pg_config in the "postgresql10" package (at
> least it's in that postgresql10-10.7-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64.rpm I used above,
> and the spec file shows the same...), the full path would be
>  "/usr/pgsql-10/bin/pg_config".
>
> If you're on SLES12 with Suse's postgresql10 packages, you'll find
> pg_config in "postgresql10-devel" - which you only get if you have
> activated/installed the "SDK" repositories. The full path for pg_config
> with this package is
>   "/usr/lib/postgresql10/bin/pg_config".
>
> If you are on a SLES with postgresql10 packages and are mixing that
> with the PGDG packages, you might be in a mess. And as far as I know
> there's no good way to make sure which packages you get, as zypper
> tells me "Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories
> share the same priority.".

Hello Christoph,

The server in question is SLES12-SP3 and I can't update to SP4 at the
moment. I have installed the following pkg:

# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="SLES"
VERSION="12-SP3"
VERSION_ID="12.3"
PRETTY_NAME="SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3"
ID="sles"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:suse:sles:12:sp3"

# rpm -qa | egrep 'postgre|libpq' | sort
libpq5-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
libpqos1-0.1.4-3.1.x86_64
libpqxx-5.0.1-2.sles12.x86_64
libpqxx-devel-5.0.1-2.sles12.x86_64
postgresql-init-10-17.20.1.noarch
postgresql-jdbc-9.4-1.1.noarch
postgresql10-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql10-contrib-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql10-devel-10.4-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64
postgresql10-docs-10.6-1.6.1.noarch
postgresql10-libs-10.4-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64
postgresql10-server-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64

How can I activated/installed the "SDK" repositories to get rid of the
PGDG packages? Thanks in advance.

Regards

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Дата:
## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):

> The server in question is SLES12-SP3 and I can't update to SP4 at the
> moment. I have installed the following pkg:

> # rpm -qa | egrep 'postgre|libpq' | sort
> libpq5-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64

Ah, right, there's also a postgresql10 in SP3.

> How can I activated/installed the "SDK" repositories to get rid of the
> PGDG packages? Thanks in advance.

Use SUSEConnect... "SUSEConnect --list-extensions" will show all available
extensions and the command lines to activate/deactivate them (the SDK
would be registered by running "SUSEConnect -p sle-sdk/12.3/x86_64", but
check first...). Alternatively you could use yast and friends.
You might have to deactivate the PGDG repos and remove those rpms, else
zypper might try to "upgrade" the Suse packages with the PGDG ones.

Else: get PostgreSQL 11 from the PGDG repos and hope Suse doesn't
give you their own postgresql11 packages sometime soon.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día Monday, April 29, 2019 a las 10:24:34AM +0200, Christoph Moench-Tegeder escribió:

> ## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):
>
> > The server in question is SLES12-SP3 and I can't update to SP4 at the
> > moment. I have installed the following pkg:
>
> > # rpm -qa | egrep 'postgre|libpq' | sort
> > libpq5-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
>
> Ah, right, there's also a postgresql10 in SP3.
>
> > How can I activated/installed the "SDK" repositories to get rid of the
> > PGDG packages? Thanks in advance.
>
> Use SUSEConnect... "SUSEConnect --list-extensions" will show all available
> extensions and the command lines to activate/deactivate them (the SDK
> would be registered by running "SUSEConnect -p sle-sdk/12.3/x86_64", but
> check first...). Alternatively you could use yast and friends.
> You might have to deactivate the PGDG repos and remove those rpms, else
> zypper might try to "upgrade" the Suse packages with the PGDG ones.

Thanks. This gives:

# SUSEConnect --status
[{"identifier":"SLES","version":"12.3","arch":"x86_64","status":"Registered"}]
# SUSEConnect --list-extensions
AVAILABLE EXTENSIONS AND MODULES

MORE INFORMATION

You can find more information about available modules here:
https://www.suse.com/products/server/features/modules.html

# SUSEConnect -p sle-sdk/12.3/x86_64
Error: Registration server returned 'Product not (fully) mirrored on
this server.
Mirroring of the following repos has to be enabled on the SMT server:
  * SLE-SDK12-SP3-Updates (sle-sdk,12.3,x86_64)
  * SLE-SDK12-SP3-Pool (sle-sdk,12.3,x86_64)
' (422)
# SUSEConnect --list-extensions
AVAILABLE EXTENSIONS AND MODULES

MORE INFORMATION

You can find more information about available modules here:
https://www.suse.com/products/server/features/modules.html

I have to check with our IT department about this.

Regaars

    matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: Missing pg_config on SuSE SLES 12 for PostgreSQL 10

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día lunes, abril 29, 2019 a las 10:24:34a. m. +0200, Christoph Moench-Tegeder escribió:

> > How can I activated/installed the "SDK" repositories to get rid of the
> > PGDG packages? Thanks in advance.

Our IT department added these two repos on the server:

* SLE-SDK12-SP3-Updates (sle-sdk,12.3,x86_64)
* SLE-SDK12-SP3-Pool (sle-sdk,12.3,x86_64)

and I run:

# zypper remove postgresql10-libs-10.4-1PGDG.sles12.x86_64
# zypper install postgresql10-devel

and have now:

# rpm -aq | egrep 'postgres|libpq' | sort
libpq5-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
libpqos1-0.1.4-3.1.x86_64
libpqxx-5.0.1-2.sles12.x86_64
postgresql-init-10-17.20.1.noarch
postgresql-jdbc-9.4-1.1.noarch
postgresql10-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql10-contrib-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql10-devel-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql10-docs-10.6-1.6.1.noarch
postgresql10-server-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64

$ which pg_config
/usr/bin/pg_config

and all (C, ESQL/C, ...) seems to be fine.

Why exists this mess with the 'PGDG' packages at all? Thanks for your help in
any case.

Regards

    matthias

--