Обсуждение: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
Hello!

May we please have the following lists created:

pgsql-us-general (public)
pgsql-us-board (private)

We'd like them to be linked from the "Regional" sections of the
Archives and Mailing lists pages.

Thank you!!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 21:13 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> My understanding is that pgsql-eu-general == postgresql.eu == the
> association

No, they are different lists. As Marc stated, pgsql-eu-general is a
regional list.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  > pgsql-eu-general is a regional group, not the association ... if that
>  > isn't the case, then that needs to be renamed to pgeu-general also ...
>
>  My understanding is that pgsql-eu-general == postgresql.eu == the
>  association. I could be wrong.. Of course if I am, the eu-general
>  list has been way off topic for the last couple of months :P Dave,
>  Magnus, Ads?

Yes, pgsql-eu-general is the regional list, as should be
pgsql-us-general. pgeu-board was actually a typo when requested. It
should have been pgsql-eu-board as the regional board for Europe.

So pgsql-us-general and pgsql-us-board seem correct to me.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  O.k. that is what I was thinking as well. So marc if you could correct
>  the list names that would be great. Dave do you want eu board fixed
>  too? (Just for consistency sake)

*I* do, but we should probably ask the PGEU board seeing as it's their list :-p

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:05:35AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:01:44 +0000
> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake
> > <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  O.k. that is what I was thinking as well. So marc if you could
> > > correct the list names that would be great. Dave do you want eu
> > > board fixed too? (Just for consistency sake)
> >
> > *I* do, but we should probably ask the PGEU board seeing as it's
> > their list :-p
>
> Doh! good point :) Magnus?

Sure, I can live with changing that. It's only the four of us on it.

Just make sure things don't suddenly appear in the archives when it's done.

//Magnus

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake escribió:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:22:18 +0100
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> > Sure, I can live with changing that. It's only the four of us on it.
> >
> > Just make sure things don't suddenly appear in the archives when it's
> > done.
>
> Of course. I will ping alvaro to add it to the blacklist this morning
> (before creation)

Done.

I notice that Marc failed to set pgus-board to private archives,
apparently (though it's empty) ... I blacklisted that one, too.

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> May we please have the following lists created:
>
> pgsql-us-general (public)
> pgsql-us-board (private)

Why are you not using your own domain postgresql.us for this?

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> pgsql-us-general (public)

Maybe I ask why you need a "general" U.S. list?  What is supposed to be
discussed on there?

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>  > May we please have the following lists created:
>  >
>  > pgsql-us-general (public)
>  > pgsql-us-board (private)
>
>  Why are you not using your own domain postgresql.us for this?

We're joining the pgsql-eu group in this same mailing list space.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> My understanding is that pgsql-eu-general == postgresql.eu == the
> association.

Note that these are actually *three* different entities.

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>  > pgsql-us-general (public)
>
>  Maybe I ask why you need a "general" U.S. list?  What is supposed to be
>  discussed on there?

We will use this for the same things that pgsql-eu does:

* Discussion of board meetings, strategy and logistics of USPA
* General non-technical communication related to USPA's activities
* Status reports and updates on events and progress on goals

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>  > My understanding is that pgsql-eu-general == postgresql.eu == the
>  > association.
>
>  Note that these are actually *three* different entities.

No they aren't. pgsql-eu-general was setup following the first real
planning meeting for the PG EU association in Prato, per an agreed
action item. postgresql.eu was donated to the group for use by the
association at the same meeting by Hans form Cybertec.

--

You wrote:
> >  Why are you not using your own domain postgresql.us for this?
>
> We're joining the pgsql-eu group in this same mailing list space.

Well, first of all, the pgsql-eu-general list is, as just discussed, not
actually related to any "group".  And secondly, the European group is just
two weeks old, and we are going to have more groups popping up now, it's the
right time to think about the issue in general.

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> You wrote:
>  > >  Why are you not using your own domain postgresql.us for this?
>  >
>  > We're joining the pgsql-eu group in this same mailing list space.
>
>  Well, first of all, the pgsql-eu-general list is, as just discussed, not
>  actually related to any "group".

That's not what I read from Dave Page, or from participating in the
pgsql-eu-general list.

> And secondly, the European group is just
>  two weeks old, and we are going to have more groups popping up now, it's the
>  right time to think about the issue in general.

Yeah, we're going to start having namespace collisions :)

We already discussed the classification, and I thought everyone came
to a consensus in that thread about Regional/User
Group/User/Developer.

See Alvaro and Marc's work on updating Majordomo categories.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> >  > pgsql-us-general (public)
> >
> >  Maybe I ask why you need a "general" U.S. list?  What is supposed to be
> >  discussed on there?
>
> We will use this for the same things that pgsql-eu does:
>
> * Discussion of board meetings, strategy and logistics of USPA
> * General non-technical communication related to USPA's activities
> * Status reports and updates on events and progress on goals

Well, that is not "general".  Name it pgsql-us-usergroup or something then.
The pgsql-eu-general list isn't general either.  It's a mistake.  Let's be
more precise and accurate in the future.

Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >  > My understanding is that pgsql-eu-general == postgresql.eu == the
> >  > association.
> >
> >  Note that these are actually *three* different entities.
>
> No they aren't. pgsql-eu-general was setup following the first real
> planning meeting for the PG EU association in Prato, per an agreed
> action item. postgresql.eu was donated to the group for use by the
> association at the same meeting by Hans form Cybertec.

Then perhaps this should be clarified.  For instance, postgresql.eu shows a
web page that has nothing to do with a user group.  And there is no
description of the pgsql-eu-general mailing list that describes that it has
anything to do with the incorporated European user group.  Its description on
the archives page, "European PostgreSQL community" would certainly appear to
imply a much wider set of people and interests.  Also, if you name a
list -general, then it is general, not specific.  Hah! :)

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > You wrote:
> >  > >  Why are you not using your own domain postgresql.us for this?
> >  >
> >  > We're joining the pgsql-eu group in this same mailing list space.
> >
> >  Well, first of all, the pgsql-eu-general list is, as just discussed, not
> >  actually related to any "group".
>
> That's not what I read from Dave Page, or from participating in the
> pgsql-eu-general list.

Well, I could obviously be wrong, because I can't read what was in people's
minds when they set up certain structures, but when someone sets up a
pgsql-foo-general list, then it certainly seems to be a list for anything
related to "foo", rather than a PostgreSQL user group in the "foo" region.

The fact that most of the early discussion about "anything" in the "eu" region
was about forming a user group should not be seen as evidence that the
pgsql-eu-general list is specifically and exclusively for EU user group
affairs now.  What would we do if anyone really wanted a list for general EU
things?

> > And secondly, the European group is just
> >  two weeks old, and we are going to have more groups popping up now, it's
> > the right time to think about the issue in general.
>
> Yeah, we're going to start having namespace collisions :)
>
> We already discussed the classification, and I thought everyone came
> to a consensus in that thread about Regional/User
> Group/User/Developer.
>
> See Alvaro and Marc's work on updating Majordomo categories.

Well, pgsql-eu-general is still listed as a regional list, which I was under
the impression was its intent, but if it is a user group list now, it should
be moved, and aliased to something more descriptive.

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter if this was a concern for you, I wish you would have brought it
> up sooner... We have:
>
> pgsql-fr-generale
> pgsql-ru-general
> pgsql-tr-genel
> pgsql-eu-general
> pgsql-it-generale
>
> and now we are requesting pgsql-us-general.
>
> So either they are all mistakes, or?

The language-coded lists are catch-alls for PostgreSQL-related things in that
language.  That is presumably because there is not enough traffic to have
more specifically themed lists.  Therefore, the naming is appropriate.  The
mission of pgsql-eu-general is unclear to me at this point, so I cannot
comment.

The proposed purpose of pgsql-us-general is, however, not a catch-all list for
discussions about PostgreSQL in the USA.  I was told that it is specifically
intended for matters of the USPA.  A more accurate mailing list title would
be to everyone's benefit, so you don't get useless and off-topic traffic.

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I believe that our intention is the same with the pgsql-us-general in
> that it is the general United States list.

Well, that is not what Selena said.  Her agenda was quite specific.

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>  > I believe that our intention is the same with the pgsql-us-general in
>  > that it is the general United States list.
>
>  Well, that is not what Selena said.  Her agenda was quite specific.

:)  I was giving examples of what we might talk about.  I was not
creating a definitive list of every topic we would ever allow.

I understand what you're getting at, Peter.

We've started categorizing things a bit better with the groups, but I
don't think that adding -usergroups to the end of the name really
captures what is happening any better than -general does.  In fact,
-usergroups is even more misleading, because it will be confused with
the PUGs.

And, at the end, I don't have a better naming convention in mind
either. I have been thinking about it, but everything i've come up
with is no better than what we have.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: mailing lists for US PostgreSQL Association

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата: