Обсуждение: cidr question (resent)

cidr question (resent)

От
"Mir S Islam"
Дата:
Resending this. Aplogies for duplicates if any.

maybe I am not understanding it right. Here is my problem.

I have a table like this
 Attribute   |           Type           | Modifier
--------------+--------------------------+----------ip           | cidr                     | not null

with following rows     ip
---------------10.0.0.1/3210.0.0.50/3210.0.0.255/3211.0.0.0/3211.0.1.200/3211.0.1.20/32
(6 rows)

should not the command
DELETE from ip_space where ip = '11.0.1.0/24'::cidr
delete last two rows ? But it does not delete anything. Basically I would
like to be able to delete a whole range or block of ip/network addresses.

I suppose I could rewrite the above sql as
delete from ip_space where ip >='11.0.1.0/24'::cidr and ip
<='11.0.2.0/24'::cidr;
Then it works. But I should not have to do that. Right ?

Thanks in advance. Please email and post here.

Mir

Re: cidr question (resent)

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Mir S Islam wrote:

> should not the command
> DELETE from ip_space where ip = '11.0.1.0/24'::cidr
> delete last two rows ? But it does not delete anything. Basically I would
> like to be able to delete a whole range or block of ip/network addresses.

You need:
DELETE from ip_space where ip << '11.0.1.0/24'::cidr

<< is 'belongs to'.

-alex

Re: cidr question (resent)

От
David Stanaway
Дата:
There are some operators that you can use.

col1 << col2    BOOLEAN indicating if col1 is a subnet of col2
col1 <<= col2   BOOLEAN indicating if col1 is equal or a subnet of col2
col1 >> col2    BOOLEAN indicating if col1 is a supernet of col2
col1 >>= col2   BOOLEAN indicating if col1 is equal or a supernet of col2

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 01:32  PM, Mir S Islam wrote:

> Resending this. Aplogies for duplicates if any.
>

> maybe I am not understanding it right. Here is my problem.
>
> I have a table like this
>
>   Attribute   |           Type           | Modifier
> --------------+--------------------------+----------
>  ip           | cidr                     | not null
>
> with following rows
>       ip
> ---------------
>  10.0.0.1/32
>  10.0.0.50/32
>  10.0.0.255/32
>  11.0.0.0/32
>  11.0.1.200/32
>  11.0.1.20/32
> (6 rows)
>
> should not the command
> DELETE from ip_space where ip = '11.0.1.0/24'::cidr
> delete last two rows ? But it does not delete anything. Basically I
> would
> like to be able to delete a whole range or block of ip/network
> addresses.
>
> I suppose I could rewrite the above sql as
> delete from ip_space where ip >='11.0.1.0/24'::cidr and ip
> <='11.0.2.0/24'::cidr;
> Then it works. But I should not have to do that. Right ?
>
> Thanks in advance. Please email and post here.
>
> Mir

Best Regards
David Stanaway
================================
Technology Manager
Australia's Premier Internet Broadcasters
Phone: +612 9357 1699
Fax: +612 9357 1169
Web: http://www.netventures.com.au
Support: support@netventures.com.au
================================
The Inspire Foundation is proudly supported by Net Ventures through the
provision of streaming solutions for it's national centres.  The Inspire
Foundation is an Internet-based foundation that inspires young people to
help themselves, get involved and get online. Please visit Inspire at
http://www.inspire.org.au

performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
MindTerm
Дата:
Hi all,
 I am writing a large function which perform more
than 2000 modify statements ( delete / insert ) . The
execution time of this function is not acceptable. How
can I config postgresql ( in postgresql.conf ?? ) so
that the performance will be better ? The machine
runing postgresql have spare memory and harddisk
space.

M.T.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Jason Earl
Start here:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_performance/index.html

If you have already fiddled around with these settings then share some
of the queries (and their plans).

Jason

MindTerm <mindterm@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am writing a large function which perform more
> than 2000 modify statements ( delete / insert ) . The
> execution time of this function is not acceptable. How
> can I config postgresql ( in postgresql.conf ?? ) so
> that the performance will be better ? The machine
> runing postgresql have spare memory and harddisk
> space.
>

> M.T.

> or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am writing a large function which perform more
> than 2000 modify statements ( delete / insert ) . The
> execution time of this function is not acceptable. How
> can I config postgresql ( in postgresql.conf ?? ) so
> that the performance will be better ? The machine
> runing postgresql have spare memory and harddisk
> space.

It's hard without more information, is the function like
an internal function or do you mean an external one?
In the latter case, the first thing to do is make
sure you're not in autocommit (ie, you've begun a
transaction) since otherwise you're doing 2000
separate transactions.
The settings that are the first to look at in the
postgresql.conf are shared_buffers and sort_mem.

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Try running the entire set of statements within one transaction - that will
speed things up considerably.

You can also increase the number of buffers you are using, but that also
requires fiddling about with shared memory.

Chris

Дата:
Hi,
 I am writing a function (plpgsql) which equals to a
single transaction transaction in postgresql ( as I
known ). So I think that it is not a autocommmit mode.
 I have add following lines in postgresql.conf.

postgresql.conf:
====================
shared_buffers = 640
wal_buffers = 80

M.T.

--- Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   I am writing a large function which perform more
> > than 2000 modify statements ( delete / insert ) .
> The
> > execution time of this function is not acceptable.
> How
> > can I config postgresql ( in postgresql.conf ?? )
> so
> > that the performance will be better ? The machine
> > runing postgresql have spare memory and harddisk
> > space.
>
> It's hard without more information, is the function
> like
> an internal function or do you mean an external one?
> In the latter case, the first thing to do is make
> sure you're not in autocommit (ie, you've begun a
> transaction) since otherwise you're doing 2000
> separate transactions.
> The settings that are the first to look at in the
> postgresql.conf are shared_buffers and sort_mem.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

>   I am writing a function (plpgsql) which equals to a
> single transaction transaction in postgresql ( as I
> known ). So I think that it is not a autocommmit mode.
>
>   I have add following lines in postgresql.conf.
>
> postgresql.conf:
> ====================
> shared_buffers = 640
> wal_buffers = 80

It depends on how much memory you have, but even 640 is pretty
low (I think that works out to 5M).  Probably a few thousand
is better if you've got the ram.

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
MindTerm
Дата:
Hi all,
 I will try to assign more memory to shared memory,
say 50M ~ 100M .
 I am runing something like that ..
 cursor loop 1  cursor loop 2    cursor loop 3    tmp = primary key     delete tmp ....    insert tmp ....   end loop 3
end loop 2 end loop 3

will delete and insert record with same primary key
within a transaction reduce the performance ?

wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:
>
> >   I am writing a function (plpgsql) which equals
> to a
> > single transaction transaction in postgresql ( as
> > known ). So I think that it is not a autocommmit
> mode.
> >
> >   I have add following lines in postgresql.conf.
> >
> > postgresql.conf:
> > ====================
> > shared_buffers = 640
> > wal_buffers = 80
>
> It depends on how much memory you have, but even 640
> is pretty
> low (I think that works out to 5M).  Probably a few
> thousand
> is better if you've got the ram.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hmmm...

I have a database server for a website for which I am 'dedicating' at least
128MB of ram (I could say that it can have 256MB)

I have max_connections 64
and shared_buffers 256
and sort_mem 1024

Is that really small?

I have this SHM config:

options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM

options         SHMMAXPGS=16384         # 64MB shared mem?
#options        SHMALL=1025             # max kb of shared mem
options         SHMSEG=256              # 256 shared segs per proc

options         SEMMNI=256              # 256 semaphore identifiers
options         SEMMNS=512              # 512 semaphores in the system
options         SEMMNU=256              # 256 undo structures in system
options         SEMMAP=256              # 256 entries in semaphore map

How do you calculate the shared memory required by postgres given the
shared_buffers value???

Chris

Дата:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> I have a database server for a website for which I am 'dedicating' at least
> 128MB of ram (I could say that it can have 256MB)
>
> I have max_connections 64
> and shared_buffers 256
> and sort_mem 1024
>
> Is that really small?
>
> I have this SHM config:
>
> options         SYSVSHM
> options         SYSVMSG
> options         SYSVSEM
>
> options         SHMMAXPGS=16384         # 64MB shared mem?
> #options        SHMALL=1025             # max kb of shared mem
> options         SHMSEG=256              # 256 shared segs per proc
>
> options         SEMMNI=256              # 256 semaphore identifiers
> options         SEMMNS=512              # 512 semaphores in the system
> options         SEMMNU=256              # 256 undo structures in system
> options         SEMMAP=256              # 256 entries in semaphore map
>
> How do you calculate the shared memory required by postgres given the
> shared_buffers value???

IIRC each buffer is 8k, so 256 shared buffers is still pretty small.

sort_mem is wierd due to the way it's used (I think that's per sort, so
maybe you could get more than that per backend if a query had multiple
sort steps), but I think that's backend local memory not shared.

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I will try to assign more memory to shared memory,
> say 50M ~ 100M .

Forgot to mention.  This depends on how much memory you've
actually got in the machine, but keep a bunch for backend
local memory stuff and system disk caching too.  Going too
high on shared memory can also be bad.

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I will try to assign more memory to shared memory,
> say 50M ~ 100M .
>
>   I am runing something like that ..
>
>   cursor loop 1
>    cursor loop 2
>     cursor loop 3
>      tmp = primary key
>      delete tmp ....
>      insert tmp ....
>     end loop 3
>    end loop 2
>   end loop 3
>
> will delete and insert record with same primary key
> within a transaction reduce the performance ?

Hmm, that might, is the tmp different for each
combination of 1,2 and 3?  I'm not really sure.
You might also want to watch the backend's memory
usage during the call to see how big it gets just
to make sure there's not something bad happening.

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
MindTerm
Дата:
Hi all,
 senario:  cursor 1 loop ( e.g. find student id )  cursor 2 loop ( e.g. find courses of this student )   cursor 3 loop
(e.g. update course information )     delele course detail ...     or     delete course detail ... ( same primary key )
    insert course detail ... ( same primary key )   end loop 3  end loop 2 end loop 1

 It did 75 delete actions 140 update actions ( delete
and insert ). The process time was about 5-6 minutes
while oracle was 10 seconds to 20 seconds .

postgresql.conf :
=================
shared_buffers = 3200
wal_buffers = 80

running on linux 7.1 , 512M ram.

wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   I will try to assign more memory to shared
> memory,
> > say 50M ~ 100M .
> >
> >   I am runing something like that ..
> >
> >   cursor loop 1
> >    cursor loop 2
> >     cursor loop 3
> >      tmp = primary key
> >      delete tmp ....
> >      insert tmp ....
> >     end loop 3
> >    end loop 2
> >   end loop 3
> >
> > will delete and insert record with same primary
> key
> > within a transaction reduce the performance ?
>
> Hmm, that might, is the tmp different for each
> combination of 1,2 and 3?  I'm not really sure.
> You might also want to watch the backend's memory
> usage during the call to see how big it gets just
> to make sure there's not something bad happening.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   senario:
>
>   cursor 1 loop ( e.g. find student id )
>    cursor 2 loop ( e.g. find courses of this student )
>     cursor 3 loop ( e.g. update course information )
>       delele course detail ...
>       or
>       delete course detail ... ( same primary key )
>       insert course detail ... ( same primary key )
>     end loop 3
>    end loop 2
>   end loop 1
>
>   It did 75 delete actions 140 update actions ( delete
> and insert ). The process time was about 5-6 minutes
> while oracle was 10 seconds to 20 seconds .

Can you send the actual function and table schema for the associated
tables and sizes of the tables involved (I figure the data itself is
probably not available, but we may be able to see what's going on then)

Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

От
MindTerm
> >    cursor 2 loop ( e.g. find courses of this
> student )
> >     cursor 3 loop ( e.g. update course information
> )
> >       delele course detail ...
> >       or
> >       delete course detail ... ( same primary key
> )
> >       insert course detail ... ( same primary key
> )
> >     end loop 3
> >    end loop 2
> >   end loop 1
> >
> >   It did 75 delete actions 140 update actions (
> delete
> > and insert ). The process time was about 5-6
> minutes
> > while oracle was 10 seconds to 20 seconds .
>
> Can you send the actual function and table schema
> for the associated
> tables and sizes of the tables involved (I figure
> the data itself is
> probably not available, but we may be able to see
> what's going on then)

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com-- Table: usermenu
CREATE TABLE "usermenu" (
  "um_user" numeric(11, 0) NOT NULL,
  "um_app_id" numeric(11, 0) NOT NULL,
  "um_order" varchar(50),
  "um_gif" varchar(100),
  "um_alt" varchar(50),
  "um_link" varchar(100),
  "um_level" varchar(5),
  "um_initial" varchar(1),
  "um_gallery_id" numeric(11, 0),
  "um_en_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "um_tc_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "um_sc_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "um_terminator" varchar(1),
  "um_menu" varchar(1),
  "um_en_name" varchar(1000),
  "um_tc_name" varchar(1000),
  "um_sc_name" varchar(1000),
  "um_ext" varchar(1),
  CONSTRAINT "usermenu_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("um_user", "um_app_id"),
  CONSTRAINT "usermenu_fk1992931308295" FOREIGN KEY (um_app_id) REFERENCES "application" (app_id)
);

-- Table: application
CREATE TABLE "application" (
  "app_id" numeric(11, 0) NOT NULL,
  "app_en_name" varchar(100) NOT NULL,
  "app_tc_name" varchar(100),
  "app_sc_name" varchar(100),
  "app_menu" varchar(1),
  "app_installed" varchar(1),
  "app_order" varchar(50),
  "app_alt" varchar(50),
  "app_gif" varchar(100),
  "app_link" varchar(100),
  "app_initial" varchar(1),
  "app_gallery_id" numeric(11, 0),
  "app_terminator" varchar(1),
  "app_en_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "app_tc_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "app_sc_length" numeric(4, 0),
  "app_ext" varchar(1),
  "app_type" varchar(30),
  CONSTRAINT "application_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("app_id")
);

BEGIN TRANSACTION;

drop function hku_usermenu( numeric, varchar, int, varchar );
CREATE FUNCTION hku_USERMENU ( numeric, varchar , int , varchar ) RETURNS varchar AS '
DECLARE
 vGroupId        ALIAS FOR $1 ;
 vUserID         ALIAS FOR $2 ;
 vGalleryId      ALIAS FOR $3 ;
 rSuccess        ALIAS FOR $4 ;
 vTmpUserID      user_group.ug_user_id%TYPE;
 vTmpGroupID     user_group.ug_id%TYPE;
 vTmpOrder       application.app_order%TYPE;
 vAclLevel       acl.acl_level%TYPE;
 vAppId          application.app_id%TYPE;
 vAppMenu        application.app_menu%TYPE;
 vAppInstalled   application.app_installed%TYPE;
 vAppTerminator  application.app_terminator%TYPE;
 vAppOrder       application.app_order%TYPE;
 vAppOrderLen    int:=0;
 vLength         int:=0;
 vOrder          application.app_order%TYPE;
 app_rec         application%ROWTYPE;
 cnt1            int:=0;
 cnt2            int:=0;
 vcnt            varchar(10):='''';
 v_str           varchar(1500):='''';
 c1              record ;
 c2              record ;
 tmptime         timestamp;
 t1              int := 0 ;
 t2              int := 0 ;
BEGIN

select timeofday() into tmptime ;
RAISE NOTICE ''[MT][START]HKU_USERMENU % % % %'', vGroupId, vUserID, vGalleryId, tmptime ;

  if vUserID = '' '' or vUserID = '''' or vUserID is null then
    vTmpGroupID := vGroupId;
  else
    vTmpGroupID := 0;
  end if;

  for c1  in
    select user_id from (
    (SELECT UG_USER_ID as user_id
     FROM   USER_GROUP
     WHERE  UG_ID          = vTmpGroupID
     and    GALLERY_ID     = vGalleryId)
    union
    (SELECT USER_ID as user_id
     FROM   HKU_USERS
     WHERE  text( USER_ID )   = vUserId
     and    GALLERY_ID     = vGalleryId)
    ) tmp
  loop
        vTmpUserID := text( c1.user_id );

        delete from usermenu where um_user = vTmpUserID ;
        for c2 in
        select ACL_APP, max(ACL_LEVEL) as acl_level, app.APP_ORDER, length(app.APP_ORDER) as app_order_length,
app.APP_MENU,app.app_installed, app.app_terminator
        from   ACL, APPLICATION app
        where  ACL_APP            = app.APP_ID
        and    ACL_GALLERY_ID     = vGalleryId
        and    app.APP_GALLERY_ID = vGalleryId
        and    ACL_GRP in
          (select u.ug_id
           from   user_group u, user_group_master ug
           where  u.ug_user_id = vTmpUserID
           and    ug.ug_id     = u.ug_id
           and   (ug.deleted   = ''N'' or ug.deleted IS NULL )
           and    u.gallery_id = vGalleryID
           and    ug.gallery_id = vGalleryID
          )
        group by acl_app, app.app_order,app.APP_MENU, app.app_installed, app.app_terminator
        order  by app.app_order desc, ACL_LEVEL
        loop

          vAppId         := c2.ACL_APP ;
          vAclLevel      := c2.acl_level ;
          vAppOrder      := c2.APP_ORDER ;
          vAppOrderLen   := c2.app_order_length ;
          vAppMenu       := c2.APP_MENU ;
          vAppInstalled  := c2.app_installed ;
          vAppTerminator := c2.app_terminator ;

       vcnt := 0;
       vLength := vAppOrderLen;
       vTmpOrder  := vAppOrder;
       select count(*) into vcnt
       from   ACL, APPLICATION app
       where  ACL_APP            = app.app_id
       and    ACL_LEVEL          > 0
       and    APP_INSTALLED      = ''Y''
       and    ACL_GALLERY_ID     = vGalleryID
       and    app.APP_GALLERY_ID = vGalleryID
       and    substr(app.app_order,1,vAppOrderLen) = vAppOrder
       and    app.app_order      <> vAppOrder
       and    ACL_GRP in
              (select u.ug_id
               from   user_group u, user_group_master ug
               where  u.ug_user_id = vTmpUserID
               and    ug.ug_id     = u.ug_id
               and   (ug.deleted   = ''N'' or ug.deleted IS NULL)
               and    u.gallery_id = vGalleryID
               and    ug.gallery_id = vGalleryID);

       IF vAclLevel IS NULL or vAclLevel <= 0  or upper(vAppInstalled) = ''N'' THEN
         delete from usermenu where um_user = vTmpUserID and substr( um_order, 1, vAppOrderLen ) = vAppOrder;

         t1 = t1 + 1 ;

       ELSE IF vcnt > 0 or vAppTerminator = ''Y'' THEN
         for app_rec in SELECT * FROM APPLICATION WHERE app_order = vTmpOrder and  app_gallery_id = vGalleryId
         loop

           delete from usermenu where um_user = vTmpUserID and um_app_id = app_rec.app_id;
             insert into usermenu(um_user, um_app_id, um_order, um_level, um_menu, um_gallery_id,
                     um_gif, um_alt, um_link, um_terminator,
                     um_en_name, um_tc_name, um_sc_name, um_ext)
                    values (vTmpUserID, app_rec.app_id, app_rec.app_order, text( vAclLevel ) , app_rec.app_menu,
vGalleryId,
                     app_rec.app_gif, app_rec.app_alt, app_rec.app_link, app_rec.app_terminator,
                     app_rec.app_en_name, app_rec.app_tc_name, app_rec.app_sc_name, app_rec.app_ext);

/*RAISE NOTICE ''insert into usermenu(um_user, um_app_id, um_order, um_level, um_menu, um_gallery_id,
                     um_gif, um_alt, um_link, um_terminator,
                     um_en_name, um_tc_name, um_sc_name, um_ext)
                    values ( %, % , ''''%'''', % , ''''%'''', % , ''''%'''', ''''%'''' , ''''%'''', ''''%'''' ,
''''%'''',''''%'''' , ''''%'''', ''''%'''' ); ''
                    ,
                    vTmpUserID, app_rec.app_id, app_rec.app_order,  vAclLevel , app_rec.app_menu, vGalleryId,
                     app_rec.app_gif, app_rec.app_alt, app_rec.app_link, app_rec.app_terminator,
                     app_rec.app_en_name, app_rec.app_tc_name, app_rec.app_sc_name, app_rec.app_ext ; */

           t2 = t2 + 1 ;

           /* SELECT count(*) into rSuccess from usermenu  WHERE um_user = vTmpUserID  and   um_app_id =
app_rec.app_id;*/

           EXIT; /* run once (if c3%FOUND then) */

         end loop;
       END IF;
       END IF;
       vcnt := 0;
     end loop;

   end loop;

select timeofday() into tmptime ;
RAISE NOTICE ''[MT][STOP]HKU_USERMENU % % % % % %'', vGroupId, vUserID, vGalleryId, tmptime, t1, t2 ;

return ''Y'' ;

END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' ;