Обсуждение: fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Manuel Lemos"
Дата:
Hello,

I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.

PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:

ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

Anybody has any idea of why this happens?

BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt

--

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On 27 Feb 1999, Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.
>
> PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
> problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:
>
> ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>
> Anybody has any idea of why this happens?
>

> BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
> Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
> integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
> distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?

Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
current source tree, not v6.4.2...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Manuel Lemos"
Дата:
Hello The,

On 28-Feb-99 07:26:52, you wrote:

>> I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.
>>
>> PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
>> problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:
>>
>> ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>>
>> Anybody has any idea of why this happens?
>>

>> BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
>> Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
>> integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
>> distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?

>Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
>what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
>current source tree, not v6.4.2...

Ok, but to work on the current source tree wouldn't it be better to get me
a CVS write account so I can work in the absolutely latest version?  Don't
worry I have plenty of experience to deal CVS issues.  I have all my
current projects in CVS repositories and a few of them are shared by other
people on the Internet.  If you still don't feel it is safe I could always
set a separate branch to integrate my changes before anybody commits into
the main branch.

Anyway, I still would like to make sure that the backend works without the
cache lookup problems mentioned above.  Do you know if that was fixed in
the current source tree?

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt
--

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On 28 Feb 1999, Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Hello The,
>
> On 28-Feb-99 07:26:52, you wrote:
>
> >> I have ported PostgreSQL to the AmigaOS using a Unix emulation library.
> >>
> >> PostgreSQL 6.1 work fine but either PostgreSQL 6.2 and 6.4.2 give me
> >> problems on initdb. Postgres backend spits out this message:
> >>
> >> ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
> >>
> >> Anybody has any idea of why this happens?
> >>

> >> BTW, since the Amiga Developer environment that I used emulates the normal
> >> Unix enviroment, would the PostgreSQL developers be interested that
> >> integrated any Amiga specific templates and ported code to make the main
> >> distribuition of PostgreSQL build out of the box on the Amiga OS too?
>
> >Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
> >what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
> >current source tree, not v6.4.2...
>
> Ok, but to work on the current source tree wouldn't it be better to get me
> a CVS write account so I can work in the absolutely latest version?  Don't

Access to the CVS repository is limited, with the only ones that have
received it in the past being those that have worked with us for ages now,
and have proven themselves in so far as the patches they have submitted.

There is access to the current source tree available via snapshot's
created nightly, CVSup as well as anon-CVS ... all documented on the web
site...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Manuel Lemos"
Дата:
Hello Marc,

On 28-Feb-99 18:45:24, you wrote:

>> >Definitely...please send patches in to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org with
>> >what is required, but plesae make sure that any patches are against the
>> >current source tree, not v6.4.2...
>>
>> Ok, but to work on the current source tree wouldn't it be better to get me
>> a CVS write account so I can work in the absolutely latest version?  Don't

>Access to the CVS repository is limited, with the only ones that have
>received it in the past being those that have worked with us for ages now,
>and have proven themselves in so far as the patches they have submitted.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to push myself in.  After all you've just met me so
you don'y know if you can trust me to not damage the source tree.  It's ok,
I understand. I would probably be reserved as you are in this circumstance.

BTW, congratulations for you dedication to the development of a capable
Open Source RDBMS.

>There is access to the current source tree available via snapshot's
>created nightly, CVSup as well as anon-CVS ... all documented on the web
>site...

Ok, I am downloading it now, so I can send you the patches with cvs diff -c
I presume.

I am trying to figure from cvs log if the problem referred above has been
fixed but I could not determine that because the log of changes since
1999-01-02 doesn't seem to mention any fixes for that explicitly.

I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar problem.
Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the mentioned
problem?

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt
--

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:

As scrappy sez, we are always interested in having solid support for a
new platform. Is the Unix emulation library available for others
building on an Amiga platform?

> I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar
> problem. Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the
> mentioned problem?

The problem is on your machine. I recall that sometimes it is due to
older executables in the execution path; be sure to wipe all older
versions (or at least wipe all paths to them) before trying initdb.

Good luck.

                      - Tom

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Manuel Lemos"
Дата:
Hello Thomas,

On 03-Mar-99 02:52:05, you wrote:

>As scrappy sez, we are always interested in having solid support for a
>new platform. Is the Unix emulation library available for others
>building on an Amiga platform?

Yes, it's kind of Open Source.  If I am not mistaken there is a version of
ixemul for BeOS too.  A lot of Unix programs have been ported to Amiga and
BeOS with it, including PostgreSQL 6.1.

>> I noticed that users of other platforms seem to have a similar
>> problem. Can you please tell if any progress was done regarding the
>> mentioned problem?

>The problem is on your machine. I recall that sometimes it is due to
>older executables in the execution path; be sure to wipe all older
>versions (or at least wipe all paths to them) before trying initdb.

Well I tried that but it didn't work.  But what exactlt could be causing
that cache access failed error?  If I am not mistaken this is not the first
platform it appears on.  What exactly does it mean?  Maybe I messed with
something in the ported files, but I need more information to try to
determine what happened.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: finger://mlemos@zeus.ci.ua.pt
--

Re: [PORTS] fmgr cache lookup failed on initdb

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> Well I tried that but it didn't work.  But what exactlt could be
> causing that cache access failed error?  If I am not mistaken this is
> not the first platform it appears on.

?? It does not appear normally on any supported platform.

> What exactly does it mean?  Maybe I messed with
> something in the ported files, but I need more information to try to
> determine what happened.

And so do I. Perhaps someone else will have some insight into this,
otherwise you will have to inspect your build process more closely to
identify any build errors, and then if that shows nothing then you will
have to isolate the fault. We don't have your machine, and I've never
seen your problem on my machine :(

                          - Tom