Обсуждение: IDE for function/stored proc development.

IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?  PGadmin is decent but I am looking for something better.

I have tried jetbrains with the db browser plugin and on the surface it seems like a good choice but it's really buggy when working with procs.

I also tried datagrip by jetbrains and that too seems to be all over the place. It has some amazing features for working with the database but some of the simplest stuff is lacking or half baked.

I looked at atom and could not find any useful plugins for PG.

Anybody have experience with something awesome?

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?  PGadmin is decent but I am looking for something better.

I have tried jetbrains with the db browser plugin and on the surface it seems like a good choice but it's really buggy when working with procs.

I also tried datagrip by jetbrains and that too seems to be all over the place. It has some amazing features for working with the database but some of the simplest stuff is lacking or half baked.

I looked at atom and could not find any useful plugins for PG.

Anybody have experience with something awesome?

I am using the Emacs - but any editor should be ok. There is one rule - edit file first, and import to database as next step. PGadmin is pretty bad tool for maintaing stored procedures.

Regards

Pavel

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Tim Uckun
Дата:
I was hoping there was some IDE which made that process seamless. Something like PgAdmin but better editing features and features like "find definition" or "find usages" and such.  The jetbrains products come close but as I said they are buggy and don't work very well with postgres.

[...]

"Mike Sofen"

From: Tim Uckun Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2016 2:37 AM
Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?  PGadmin is decent but I am looking for something better.

I have been using the Datagrip app (from Jetbrains), from its beta release up through now v 2016.2 and love it.  Full autocomplete, it has my object browser on the left, source code file browser on the right (I have it tied into our git), massively customizable to look and behave any way you want it.  It is not effective yet for admin tasks.  I really love the modern interface.  I have zero connection to the company, paid for a license ($200).  Worth every penny.

I’m a hardcore stored proc/func dev, building database api’s for the large systems I design/build…I write a LOT of code and datagrip is where I do it.  I also use the crash-prone PgAdminIII  for admin stuff like table mods, quick scripting of table def or insert columns, or backups, etc…the normal admin stuff.

MikeS

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Michael Sheaver
Дата:
I tried a bunch of different IDEs and editors, and the dev toolset that I finally settled on is as follows:
  • Atom editor for all coding and refinement
  • Jetbrains DataGrip for code execution and most DBA work
  • PGAdmin for other DBA that I can't do in DG
  • Gitkraken for version control and pushing codebase to remote repo for offsite backup

Atom is simply the best code editor currently available and has a very active dev community.

DataGrip is by no means perfect, partly because it is such a new project. But Jetbrains is very receptive to user input and has a rather aggressive development strategy to implement user requests.

Gitkraken is simply awesome and my go-to GUI for VCS.

An added benefit of this particular toolset is that they work equally well on Mac and Windows.

Michael Sheaver

[...]

Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/03/2016 02:36 AM, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?
> PGadmin is decent but I am looking for something better.
>
> I have tried jetbrains with the db browser plugin and on the surface it
> seems like a good choice but it's really buggy when working with procs.
>
> I also tried datagrip by jetbrains and that too seems to be all over the
> place. It has some amazing features for working with the database but
> some of the simplest stuff is lacking or half baked.
>
> I looked at atom and could not find any useful plugins for PG.
>
> Anybody have experience with something awesome?

Yes.

Short answer:

psql

Long answer:

psql is the glue that ties together my work.

1) Working in it I have access to \e for editing general scripts and
\ef for function scripts. Coming in 9.6 \ev for working on views. Handy
for testing out ideas. It is also possible to use DO to try out code
snippets.

2) For the most part the objects I create originate as scripts that I
can run either from within psql using \i or pass in with -f or a
redirection.

3) I use Sqitch(http://sqitch.org/) to manage the object deployment and
it uses psql when talking to Postgres.

Currently I use Atom to do my heavy duty text editing, but I am not tied
to it as any competent text editor can generate/work with the scripts I
mention above. Makes it easy to switch from machine to machine with out
dragging an IDE along.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Hello Tim,

We will be releasing Database Workbench with PostgreSQL support later this week, it’s a Windows application but works fine on Linux/MacOS via Wine.

Here’s the link to our website, feel free to check some screenshots

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

[...]

Good day, Martijn

I looked at your purchase, and did not see any Postgres version. Am I missing (/misunderstanding) something here?

Kind regards,
Na-iem Dollie

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Good morning,

>I looked at your purchase, and did not see any Postgres version. Am I missing (/misunderstanding) something here?

It’s not yet available, please wait until the end of the week Winking smile

That being said, the pricing will be the same as for MySQL.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
Вложения

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Edson Richter

I do use Dbwrench, but is pretty basic, no fancy procedures / function development support.

Enviado do meu smartphone Sony Xperia™

---- Pavel Stehule escreveu ----

Hi

---- Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) escreveu ----

> Good morning,
>
>  >I looked at your purchase, and did not see any Postgres version. Am I missing (/misunderstanding) something here?
>
>  It’s not yet available, please wait until the end of the week
>
>  That being said, the pricing will be the same as for MySQL.
>
>  With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com

Would be nice to have a table which enlist all features (in rows) and databases (in cols), and on intersections, add the "since date... ", "from date ..." or "planned" status...

You can split the table by bundle (basic /enterprise) so you will help your visitors to better understand your offer...

Just my 2c.

Sorry for being off topic...

Edson Richter

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 9/3/16 7:49 AM, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I was hoping there was some IDE which made that process seamless.
> Something like PgAdmin but better editing features and features like
> "find definition" or "find usages" and such.  The jetbrains products
> come close but as I said they are buggy and don't work very well with
> postgres.

Keep in mind that workflow doesn't work well if you need to deploy to
production on a regular basis.

The workflow I generally use is sqitch[1] and a thin wrapper that runs
my unit tests (you do write unit tests for your functions, right? :)).
Something like:

revert_to=`sqitch tag|tail -n2|head -n1` # Get second to last deployed tag
sqitch rebase -y --onto $revert_to $DB && sqitch rebase -y --onto
$revert_to $DB && db/run_test $DB

Normally you won't be re-deploying that much, so that would be pretty
fast. Note that you'll want to create a separate sqitch migration for
each object.

[1] http://sqitch.org/
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Hi,

For what it's worth, Database Workbench with PostgreSQL support
was released Yesterday.

http://www.upscene.com/database_workbench/whatsnew

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

> I was hoping there was some IDE which made that process seamless.
> Something like PgAdmin but better editing features and features like
> "find definition" or "find usages" and such.  The jetbrains products
> come close but as I said they are buggy and don't work very well with
> postgres.

Keep in mind that workflow doesn't work well if you need to deploy to
production on a regular basis.

The workflow I generally use is sqitch[1] and a thin wrapper that runs
my unit tests (you do write unit tests for your functions, right? :)).
Something like:

revert_to=`sqitch tag|tail -n2|head -n1` # Get second to last deployed tag
sqitch rebase -y --onto $revert_to $DB && sqitch rebase -y --onto
$revert_to $DB && db/run_test $DB

Normally you won't be re-deploying that much, so that would be pretty
fast. Note that you'll want to create a separate sqitch migration for
each object.

[1] http://sqitch.org/
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 08/09/16 19:42, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For what it's worth, Database Workbench with PostgreSQL support was
> released Yesterday.
>
> http://www.upscene.com/database_workbench/whatsnew
>

> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Upscene Productions
[...]

Hmm... exe's don't work natively on Linux...

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
"Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)"
Дата:
Hi,

>> For what it's worth, Database Workbench with PostgreSQL support was
>> released Yesterday.
>>
>> http://www.upscene.com/database_workbench/whatsnew
>>

>> With regards,
>>
>> Martijn Tonies
>> Upscene Productions
>[...]
>
>Hmm... exe's don't work natively on Linux...

Of course they don't. Here's some guides for Wine - we have several
customers using the product on Linux all the time.
http://www.upscene.com/company/support

Hope this helps.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От
Reid Thompson
Дата:
On Sat, 2016-09-03 at 21:36 +1200, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?  PGadmin
> is decent but I am looking for something better.
>
> I have tried jetbrains with the db browser plugin and on the surface it seems
> like a good choice but it's really buggy when working with procs.
>
> I also tried datagrip by jetbrains and that too seems to be all over the
> place. It has some amazing features for working with the database but some of
> the simplest stuff is lacking or half baked.
>
> I looked at atom and could not find any useful plugins for PG.
>
> Anybody have experience with something awesome?

i've not yet used it much but
   dbeaver    http://dbeaver.jkiss.org/
seems robust.

Both the Enterprise and Community edition are free.  Community edition
is open source, EE is not.

it may be worth a look