Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: IDE for function/stored proc development.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/03/2016 02:36 AM, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Does anybody use an IDE for doing heavy duty stored proc development?
> PGadmin is decent but I am looking for something better.
>
> I have tried jetbrains with the db browser plugin and on the surface it
> seems like a good choice but it's really buggy when working with procs.
>
> I also tried datagrip by jetbrains and that too seems to be all over the
> place. It has some amazing features for working with the database but
> some of the simplest stuff is lacking or half baked.
>
> I looked at atom and could not find any useful plugins for PG.
>
> Anybody have experience with something awesome?

Yes.

Short answer:

psql

Long answer:

psql is the glue that ties together my work.

1) Working in it I have access to \e for editing general scripts and
\ef for function scripts. Coming in 9.6 \ev for working on views. Handy
for testing out ideas. It is also possible to use DO to try out code
snippets.

2) For the most part the objects I create originate as scripts that I
can run either from within psql using \i or pass in with -f or a
redirection.

3) I use Sqitch(http://sqitch.org/) to manage the object deployment and
it uses psql when talking to Postgres.

Currently I use Atom to do my heavy duty text editing, but I am not tied
to it as any competent text editor can generate/work with the scripts I
mention above. Makes it easy to switch from machine to machine with out
dragging an IDE along.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com