Обсуждение: migrating data from an old postgres version

migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos
Дата:
Hi,

A coworker is getting a new laptop and he wants to migrate some data from his old one to the new one. So he installed postgres 9.5 on the new one and is asking me how to migrate the data from the old 8.4 database. This database includes postgis.

I asked him to make a network connection so that he can make a dump from the 9.5 machine, but that seems to be tricky for him.
He is inserting a harddrive in his new laptop which has the data directory on it.

So i went to look for a 8.4 installer but it has been EOL for a while now, so i found no official source for that. But i found a 8.4.12 installer on filehorse.com

Now, maybe this is overcautious, but being a linux man myself, i dislike installing unknown software. So is there an md5 signature for that installer around?
Or maybe a more official source for a 8.4 installer?

Cheers,

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Melvin Davidson

[...]

Why can't he just do a
pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
create the new db in 9.5
and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Paul Ramsey

A coworker is getting a new laptop and he wants to migrate some data from his old one to the new one. So he installed postgres 9.5 on the new one and is asking me how to migrate the data from the old 8.4 database. This database includes postgis.

I asked him to make a network connection so that he can make a dump from the 9.5 machine, but that seems to be tricky for him.
He is inserting a harddrive in his new laptop which has the data directory on it.

So i went to look for a 8.4 installer but it has been EOL for a while now, so i found no official source for that. But i found a 8.4.12 installer on filehorse.com

Now, maybe this is overcautious, but being a linux man myself, i dislike installing unknown software. So is there an md5 signature for that installer around?
Or maybe a more official source for a 8.4 installer?

Cheers,

Make sure to pg_dump -Fc
(note the flags)
so that in case you need to do a hard restore (if you’re going from postgis 1.x to 2.x) you can run the dump file through the special cleaning script.

See postgis documentation notes on “hard upgrade” for full info on doing a clean 1->2 upgrade.

If he’s already blown away his old environment then yeah, you’re going to have to exactly duplicate it first so you can run 8.4 *and* an old version of postgis (have to match major version numbers) and get a clean dump file out of it.

P.

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos

pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
create the new db in 9.5
and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?

Because it's not the same version, so that will cause some errors.
But i guess we should be able to live with that.
Thanks, i guess i was thinking a bit too rigid.

Cheers,
--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
​You need to also include "​--quote-all-identifiers" if you intend for the dump to be restored onto a newer version of PostgreSQL.

And don't forget pg_dumpall to get the globals - or to do the whole thing.

David J.

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos
Дата:
so that in case you need to do a hard restore (if you’re going from postgis 1.x to 2.x) you can run the dump file through the special cleaning script.

See postgis documentation notes on “hard upgrade” for full info on doing a clean 1->2 upgrade.

If he’s already blown away his old environment then yeah, you’re going to have to exactly duplicate it first so you can run 8.4 *and* an old version of postgis (have to match major version numbers) and get a clean dump file out of it.

P.

Yeah, that perl script really works well, used it a lot.
 Only downside is the downtime you need for it, on servers that is.
I really like pg_upgrade, and i have been able to use that since apt.postgresql.org offers several versions per distro, and includes postgis too.
Great stuff, upgrade a big db in single minutes of downtime.

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Melvin Davidson

pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
create the new db in 9.5
and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?

Because it's not the same version, so that will cause some errors.
But i guess we should be able to live with that.
Thanks, i guess i was thinking a bit too rigid.

Cheers,
--
Willy-Bas Loos

If you dump with -F p (plain is default) then the version does not matter.
That is the recommended method for upgrading from older versions.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/upgrading.html

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos

​You need to also include "​--quote-all-identifiers" if you intend for the dump to be restored onto a newer version of PostgreSQL.

Hey that's new, i'll be sure to use it!

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos

If you dump with -F p (plain is default) then the version does not matter.

That is the recommended method for upgrading from older versions.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/upgrading.html

Problem is that we use postgis and the versions differ between the postgres installations.
So we have to upgrade postgis in the process.
We use a perl script for that, which gets a list of the objects in the backup and then filters what will be restored. But for that it needs a custom dump, hence Paul Ramsey's advice.

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/15/2016 07:07 AM, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com
> <mailto:melvin6925@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Why can't he just do a
>     pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
>     Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
>     copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
>     create the new db in 9.5
>     and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?
>

> Because it's not the same version, so that will cause some errors.

pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Melvin Davidson

    pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
    Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
    copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
    create the new db in 9.5
    and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?

Because it's not the same version, so that will cause some errors.

pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.

But i guess we should be able to live with that.
Thanks, i guess i was thinking a bit too rigid.

Cheers,
--
Willy-Bas Loos

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

As Adrian and I have said, pg_dump and pg_dumpall as backwards compatible and the recommended method for porrting data from one version
to another. You will NOT get errors if you use plain format.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos
Дата:
pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.

Yes but is it forward compatible from 7.0?
I mean can i restore a dump made with pg_dump 7.0 on a 9.4 database?

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Melvin Davidson

pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.

Yes but is it forward compatible from 7.0?
I mean can i restore a dump made with pg_dump 7.0 on a 9.4 database?

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Yes, That is the whole point of backwards compatability!  That is how upgrades are done.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/15/2016 07:24 AM, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>

>     pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.
>

> Yes but is it forward compatible from 7.0?

Maybe. I have taken dumps from and old PG version that was close(one
major version apart) to a new PG version and made it work, but I would
not count on it. The old version of pg_dump can't see into the future
and know what changes have occurred:)

> I mean can i restore a dump made with pg_dump 7.0 on a 9.4 database?

No

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos
Дата:
As Adrian and I have said, pg_dump and pg_dumpall as backwards compatible and the recommended method for porrting data from one version
to another. You will NOT get errors if you use plain format.

I can't use plain.
And i've had errors with plain in this scenario before. Especially around sequences, that could be "OWNED BY" someone since 8.4 if i remember correctly.
But there were more things.
A new thing is  ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "row_security" , but that doesn't reallyt do any harm.
But there's more that i don't remember, since i learned how to avoid them.

Thanks for your help though :)
--
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/15/2016 07:22 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/15/2016 07:07 AM, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:
>

>         On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Melvin Davidson
>         <melvin6925@gmail.com <mailto:melvin6925@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:melvin6925@gmail.com <mailto:melvin6925@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>

>             Why can't he just do a
>             pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
>             Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
>             copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
>             create the new db in 9.5
>             and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?
>

>         Because it's not the same version, so that will cause some errors.
>

>     pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.
>

>         But i guess we should be able to live with that.
>         Thanks, i guess i was thinking a bit too rigid.
>
>         Cheers,
>         --
>         Willy-Bas Loos
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>

> As Adrian and I have said, pg_dump and pg_dumpall as backwards
> compatible and the recommended method for porrting data from one version
> to another. You will NOT get errors if you use plain format.

Remember you can reconstitute a plain format dump from a custom format
dump by doing:

pg_restore ... -f plain_sql.txt custom_dump.out

Not sure what errors you are talking about?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/15/2016 07:26 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com
> <mailto:willybas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Adrian Klaver
>     <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>

>         pg_dump is backwards compatible to version 7.0.
>

>     Yes but is it forward compatible from 7.0?
>     I mean can i restore a dump made with pg_dump 7.0 on a 9.4 database?
>
>     --
>     Willy-Bas Loos
>

> Yes, That is the whole point of backwards compatability!  That is how
> upgrades are done.

I think you are misunderstanding.  Willy is asking if you use the 7.0
version of pg_dump to dump a 7.0 database, can you then restore that
dump to a 9.4 database?

> --
> *Melvin Davidson*
> I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you
> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От
Willy-Bas Loos

Remember you can reconstitute a plain format dump from a custom format dump by doing:

pg_restore ... -f plain_sql.txt custom_dump.out

Not sure what errors you are talking about?

Nice one!
errors in my previous answer directed at melvin