Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От Willy-Bas Loos
Тема Re: migrating data from an old postgres version
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
Look, if you dump in plain SQL, it is standard to both old and new versions of PostgreSQL. That is the recommended method to upgrade.
Yes, errors like "row_security" can/will happen, but you can edit and comment them oout or just ignore.

ALL THE SQL is the same. So CREATE, COPY, etc. will all work.
I have previously sent you the url that shows you pg_dump and pg_dump are what is needed.

But if you don't believe me, I will comment no further.

Hi, i've learned to dump the database with the pg_dump version of the target platform.
That way you get 0 errors.
There can be inconsistencies in the database if you do it the way you suggest (like sequences missing and the like), BUT that is the best plan for my current situation.
I will use the "​--quote-all-identifiers" option.

(the manual says:"It is recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall programs from the newer version of PostgreSQL")

Thank you,

--
Willy-Bas Loos