Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От Willy-Bas Loos
Тема Re: migrating data from an old postgres version
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> writes:
> (the manual says:"It is recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall
> programs from the newer version of PostgreSQL")

The reason for the manual's recommendation is that the newer version might
contain bug fixes not present in the older one.  But discounting that
risk, a dump made by an older version of pg_dump usually should load into
a newer server.  We try *very* hard to avoid breaking syntaxes used by old
pg_dump versions.  The possibility of identifiers conflicting with new
reserved words is a hazard of course, which is what
"--quote-all-identifiers" was invented to address.  But if you don't use
that option, you're at risk for that regardless of whether you dumped with
the older or new pg_dump.

                        regards, tom lane

Ah, ok. So maybe the biggest problem was the thing with the sequences.
One usually only gets into such an incident once, a big db with no sequences is no fun.
@Melvin so then you were more correct than i would give you credit for.

Cheers,
--
Willy-Bas Loos