Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: migrating data from an old postgres version
Дата
Re: migrating data from an old postgres version  (Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

A coworker is getting a new laptop and he wants to migrate some data from his old one to the new one. So he installed postgres 9.5 on the new one and is asking me how to migrate the data from the old 8.4 database. This database includes postgis.

I asked him to make a network connection so that he can make a dump from the 9.5 machine, but that seems to be tricky for him.
He is inserting a harddrive in his new laptop which has the data directory on it.

So i went to look for a 8.4 installer but it has been EOL for a while now, so i found no official source for that. But i found a 8.4.12 installer on filehorse.com

Now, maybe this is overcautious, but being a linux man myself, i dislike installing unknown software. So is there an md5 signature for that installer around?
Or maybe a more official source for a 8.4 installer?

Cheers,

--
Willy-Bas Loos

Why can't he just do a
pg_dump -F p his_dbname > his_dbname.sql
Then copy dbname.sql to a jump/thumb drive on the old laptop
copy the data from the jump/thumb drive to the new laptop
create the new db in 9.5
and use pg_restore to load the his_dbname.sql ?

--
Melvin Davidson