migrating data from an old postgres version

От Willy-Bas Loos
Тема migrating data from an old postgres version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

A coworker is getting a new laptop and he wants to migrate some data from his old one to the new one. So he installed postgres 9.5 on the new one and is asking me how to migrate the data from the old 8.4 database. This database includes postgis.

I asked him to make a network connection so that he can make a dump from the 9.5 machine, but that seems to be tricky for him.
He is inserting a harddrive in his new laptop which has the data directory on it.

So i went to look for a 8.4 installer but it has been EOL for a while now, so i found no official source for that. But i found a 8.4.12 installer on filehorse.com

Now, maybe this is overcautious, but being a linux man myself, i dislike installing unknown software. So is there an md5 signature for that installer around?
Or maybe a more official source for a 8.4 installer?

Cheers,

--
Willy-Bas Loos