Обсуждение: configure options

configure options

От
Siddharth Shah
Дата:
Hi,

    I am compiling postgres, I have some doubts on ./configure options

--enable-nls[=LANGUAGES]  enable Native Language Support
        Do I need to supply each language name which i am going to store
in my database or just have to take support UTF-8 ?
and

 --disable-largefile
          Does it refers to for storing blob objects to store or
anything else ?

- Siddharth

Re: configure options

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Siddharth Shah
<siddharth.shah@elitecore.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am compiling postgres, I have some doubts on ./configure options
>
> --enable-nls[=LANGUAGES]  enable Native Language Support
>       Do I need to supply each language name which i am going to store in my
> database or just have to take support UTF-8 ?
> and

No the config option for languages is to allow pgsql to choose
languages to operate in, like error messages and psql.  You can put
any languages you want into the database.

> --disable-largefile
>         Does it refers to for storing blob objects to store or  anything

I don't have a clue what that does.  PostgreSQL by default, in the
past, pgsql split files into 1G chunks.  Could be some kind of change
there?  It certainly is documented in the dev snapshot I grabbed a few
weeks ago.

The only option I ever set is bigint dates.

Re: configure options

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Siddharth Shah wrote:
>     I am compiling postgres, I have some doubts on ./configure options
>
> --enable-nls[=LANGUAGES]  enable Native Language Support
>         Do I need to supply each language name which i am going to store
> in my database or just have to take support UTF-8 ?

You need to have support for the locale which you want to use for
character sorting, case conversion and character classification
(set at "initdb" time)
as well as support for the locale in which you want server messages
to be, and for the one you want for date and numeric formatting.

You don't have to include support for all languages you store in the
database (but the database should then use UTF-8 as server encoding).

> and
>
>  --disable-largefile
>           Does it refers to for storing blob objects to store or
> anything else ?

I couldn't find this configure switch in the documentation for
8.3 or 8.4. Can you explain where you found it and which version
you are using?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: configure options

От
Siddharth Shah
Дата:
Albe Laurenz wrote:
 cite="mid:D960CB61B694CF459DCFB4B0128514C202D10B25@exadv11.host.magwien.gv.at"
 type="cite">
  Siddharth Shah wrote:

[...]

    I am using 8.3.5 and I have found these options in configure help
    ./configure --help

    -Siddharth

Re: configure options

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Siddharth Shah wrote:
>>> I am compiling postgres, I have some doubts on ./configure options
>>>
>>> --disable-largefile
>>>          Does it refers to for storing blob objects to store or
>>> anything else ?
>>
>> I couldn't find this configure switch in the documentation for
>> 8.3 or 8.4. Can you explain where you found it and which version
>> you are using?
>
> I am using 8.3.5 and I have found these options in configure help
> ./configure --help

I see. It seems to be missing in the documentation.

This has nothing to do with large objects.
This disables use of the "large file API" for operating system files.
If you disable this, you will probably not be able to use operating system
files that exceed 2GB in size, which PostgreSQL normally does not do
anyway.

My recommendation is to leave this switch alone and use the default;
you should not encounter any problems.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: configure options

От
Siddharth Shah
Дата:
Albe Laurenz wrote:

>>> I couldn't find this configure switch in the documentation for
>>> 8.3 or 8.4. Can you explain where you found it and which version
>>> you are using?
>>>
>> I am using 8.3.5 and I have found these options in configure help
>> ./configure --help
>>

> I see. It seems to be missing in the documentation.
>
> This has nothing to do with large objects.
> This disables use of the "large file API" for operating system files.
> If you disable this, you will probably not be able to use operating system
> files that exceed 2GB in size, which PostgreSQL normally does not do
> anyway.
>
> My recommendation is to leave this switch alone and use the default;
> you should not encounter any problems.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

    In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
manage many other application in same storage
So, have to remove use less files , From configuration disabling
unwanted options helps to reduce the size.
So, I need detail description on compile options and postgres
installation files.
If this is provided then will help me.
    -Siddharth

Re: configure options

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Albe Laurenz wrote:

>>> I couldn't find this configure switch in the documentation for
>>> 8.3 or 8.4. Can you explain where you found it and which version
>>> you are using?
>> I am using 8.3.5 and I have found these options in configure help
>> ./configure --help
>
> I see. It seems to be missing in the documentation.
>
> This has nothing to do with large objects.
> This disables use of the "large file API" for operating system files.
> If you disable this, you will probably not be able to use operating system
> files that exceed 2GB in size, which PostgreSQL normally does not do
> anyway.

pg_dump/pg_restore deals with files >2GB, so you will have backup
related issues if you disable it.

> My recommendation is to leave this switch alone and use the default;
> you should not encounter any problems.

Agreed - the cost for supporting it is zero, AFAIK, so there is no
reason to turn it off unless the OS has a buggy implementation.

//Magnus

Re: configure options

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Siddharth Shah wrote:

>     In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
> manage many other application in same storage
> So, have to remove use less files , From configuration disabling
> unwanted options helps to reduce the size.
> So, I need detail description on compile options and postgres
> installation files.
> If this is provided then will help me.

I don't think that --disable-largefile will reduce the size of
the PostgreSQL executables noticably, if at all. It will certainly not
reduce the amount of disk space required for your database.

Do you only need the PostgreSQL client or also the server?
Will that small storage device also contain the database?

Reducing the number of languages with --enable-nls=<languages>
will certainly help some. Disable all "Optional Packages" you
don't need (they should be described in the documentation).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: configure options

От
Siddharth Shah
Дата:
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Siddharth Shah wrote:
>

>>     In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
>> manage many other application in same storage
>> So, have to remove use less files , From configuration disabling
>> unwanted options helps to reduce the size.
>> So, I need detail description on compile options and postgres
>> installation files.
>> If this is provided then will help me.
>>

> I don't think that --disable-largefile will reduce the size of
> the PostgreSQL executables noticably, if at all. It will certainly not
> reduce the amount of disk space required for your database.
>
> Do you only need the PostgreSQL client or also the server?
> Will that small storage device also contain the database?

        Yes, I need to run Client Server both application.Yes database
reside in same storage
        Will small size make any issue ?

> Reducing the number of languages with --enable-nls=<languages>
> will certainly help some. Disable all "Optional Packages" you
> don't need (they should be described in the documentation).

    At this time problem is
    If I want to support some new foreign language in future on deployed
machine.
    Will it support, while I configured postgres with specific language
option.

    Documentation on these parameters from postgres appreciable
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Re: configure options

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Siddharth Shah wrote:
>>> In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
>>> manage many other application in same storage
>>
>> Do you only need the PostgreSQL client or also the server?
>> Will that small storage device also contain the database?
>>
> Yes, I need to run Client Server both application.Yes database
> reside in same storage
> Will small size make any issue ?

Well, if your database grows, it might exceed the available
storage space and stop working. I guess you planned for that.

>> Reducing the number of languages with --enable-nls=<languages>
>> will certainly help some. Disable all "Optional Packages" you
>> don't need (they should be described in the documentation).
>
> At this time problem is
> If I want to support some new foreign language in future on deployed machine.
> Will it support, while I configured postgres with specific language option.

There will be no problem storing and retrieving data in various languages, as
long as the database encoding is UTF-8.

> Documentation on these parameters from postgres appreciable

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-procedure.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: configure options

Дата:
> Albe Laurenz wrote:
>> My recommendation is to leave this switch alone and use the default;
>> you should not encounter any problems.

> Agreed - the cost for supporting it is zero, AFAIK, so there is no
> reason to turn it off unless the OS has a buggy implementation.

Yeah.  The reason it's not documented is we don't officially support it
--- it's something that autoconf adds on its own.  It would only be
interesting if autoconf's test for largefile support obtained the wrong
answer on some platform; which is probably not an interesting case
anymore anyway.

            regards, tom lane

Re: configure options

Дата:
Siddharth Shah <siddharth.shah@elitecore.com> writes:
>     In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
> manage many other application in same storage

Quite honestly, you're going to need some other database besides
Postgres if you need a disk footprint that's only a fraction of 256MB.
It's just not designed for that.  Maybe sqllite or bdb would be closer
to what you need.

            regards, tom lane

Re: configure options

От
Siddharth Shah
Tom Lane wrote:
> Siddharth Shah <siddharth.shah@elitecore.com> writes:
>
>>     In My Application I have only 256MB storage device and I have to
>> manage many other application in same storage
>>

> Quite honestly, you're going to need some other database besides
> Postgres if you need a disk footprint that's only a fraction of 256MB.
> It's just not designed for that.  Maybe sqllite or bdb would be closer
> to what you need.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi   Tom,

    I have explored SQLite & DBD but they have limitations on concurrency
My Requirement falls In between lighter & enterprise databases
So finally concluded postgres, My database size on pg is almost 12 MB

Does any cons which I am going to face with pg with slower size then
please mention.
Transaction frequencies  : more select queries than insert / update
Almost 20 queries/sec is executing with current database.

- Siddharth