Обсуждение: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Babu Khan
Дата:
Hi Guys,

I have a BIIG poblem.

We had some application running on Mac OS X.1 using
postgres 7.2.1.5. Recently we decided to upgrade to
Mac OS X.2 Jaguar.

Now this is where the problem starts. After the
upgrade although the application runs, i am unable to
run psql, pg_dump etc. After research, I learnt that
this is because postgres was compiled for OS 10.1 and
now I should re-compile it for 10.2. For this I need
to backup the data right? or can I just simply run the
postgres.pkg file for 7.2.1.5 again and that will not
disturb the current data in the database??

Thanks for any help....

babu

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Jeffrey Bohmer
Дата:
7.3 and later compile on OS X 10.2, 7.2.x don't without tweaks.  Upgrading is probably your best bet.

Some people have used fink to get 7.2.x working with 10.2.  I used a distribution put together by Marc Liyanage (sp?),
whichI can't find on the web anymore.  I still have my copies of this distribution for 7.2.1, 7.2.2, and 7.2.3.  If you
wantany of them, contact me off-list.

- Jeff

--

Jeff Bohmer
VisionLink, Inc.

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Babu Khan
Дата:
Thanks Jeffrey,

I am aware of the page by Marc Liyanage, infact I
tried to update according to the instructions, but my
problem is that pg_dump is not working ( it gives some
undefined variable in libararies errors), so if I need
to upgrade to 7.3 from 7.2.1.5 can I do it without
backing up the data. i understand this is only
possible if internal table structures, etc haven't
changed in 7.3 from 7.2.1.5

babu.
--- Jeffrey Bohmer <bohmer@visionlink.org> wrote:

> 7.3 and later compile on OS X 10.2, 7.2.x don't
> without tweaks.  Upgrading is probably your best
> bet.
>
> Some people have used fink to get 7.2.x working with
> 10.2.  I used a distribution put together by Marc
> Liyanage (sp?), which I can't find on the web
> anymore.  I still have my copies of this
> distribution for 7.2.1, 7.2.2, and 7.2.3.  If you
> want any of them, contact me off-list.
>
> - Jeff
>

> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >I have a BIIG poblem.
> >
> >We had some application running on Mac OS X.1 using
> >postgres 7.2.1.5. Recently we decided to upgrade to
> >Mac OS X.2 Jaguar.
> >
> >Now this is where the problem starts. After the
> >upgrade although the application runs, i am unable
> >run psql, pg_dump etc. After research, I learnt
> that
> >this is because postgres was compiled for OS 10.1
> and
> >now I should re-compile it for 10.2. For this I
> need
> >to backup the data right? or can I just simply run
> the
> >postgres.pkg file for 7.2.1.5 again and that will
> not
> >disturb the current data in the database??
> >
> >Thanks for any help....
> >
> >babu
> --
>
> Jeff Bohmer
> VisionLink, Inc.
> _________________________________
> 303.402.0170
> www.visionlink.org
> _________________________________
> People. Tools. Change. Community.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Brian Hirt
Дата:
You will have to dump 7.2 before moving to 7.3.  7.3 requires a db
init.  So your best bet is to recompile 7.2 on 10.2.

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Babu Khan wrote:

> Thanks Jeffrey,
>
> I am aware of the page by Marc Liyanage, infact I
> tried to update according to the instructions, but my
> problem is that pg_dump is not working ( it gives some
> undefined variable in libararies errors), so if I need
> to upgrade to 7.3 from 7.2.1.5 can I do it without
> backing up the data. i understand this is only
> possible if internal table structures, etc haven't
> changed in 7.3 from 7.2.1.5
>
> babu.
> --- Jeffrey Bohmer <bohmer@visionlink.org> wrote:
>>
>> 7.3 and later compile on OS X 10.2, 7.2.x don't
>> without tweaks.  Upgrading is probably your best
>> bet.
>>
>> Some people have used fink to get 7.2.x working with
>> 10.2.  I used a distribution put together by Marc
>> Liyanage (sp?), which I can't find on the web
>> anymore.  I still have my copies of this
>> distribution for 7.2.1, 7.2.2, and 7.2.3.  If you
>> want any of them, contact me off-list.
>>
>> - Jeff
>>

>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I have a BIIG poblem.
>>>
>>> We had some application running on Mac OS X.1 using
>>> postgres 7.2.1.5. Recently we decided to upgrade to
>>> Mac OS X.2 Jaguar.
>>>
>>> Now this is where the problem starts. After the
>>> upgrade although the application runs, i am unable
>>> run psql, pg_dump etc. After research, I learnt
>> that
>>> this is because postgres was compiled for OS 10.1
>> and
>>> now I should re-compile it for 10.2. For this I
>> need
>>> to backup the data right? or can I just simply run
>> the
>>> postgres.pkg file for 7.2.1.5 again and that will
>> not
>>> disturb the current data in the database??
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help....
>>>
>>> babu
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Bohmer
>> VisionLink, Inc.
>> _________________________________
>> 303.402.0170
>> www.visionlink.org
>> _________________________________
>> People. Tools. Change. Community.

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Jeffrey Bohmer
Дата:
Do you have an existing 7.2 dump that could be used in a restore now?  If so, you can install 7.3 and restore from that
dump. If not, then you'll need to get 7.2.x (any version of it) on your 10.2 machine to make a dump.  Or, move your
existing7.2.1.5 install to a 10.1 machine and make a dump there.

For 7.2.x on 10.2, you could try all three versions of Marc's distribution for a functional pg_dump or pg_dumpall.  Or,
installfink and try to get 7.2.x working via fink.  Otherwise, you'll need to tweak the 7.2 sources manually (sorry, I
can'thelp you with this last one).

- Jeff

--

Jeff Bohmer
VisionLink, Inc.
People. Tools. Change. Community.

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Babu Khan
Дата:
--- Jeffrey Bohmer <bohmer@visionlink.org> wrote:

> Do you have an existing 7.2 dump that could be used
> in a restore now?  If so, you can install 7.3 and
> restore from that dump.  If not, then you'll need to
> get 7.2.x (any version of it) on your 10.2 machine
> to make a dump.  Or, move your existing 7.2.1.5
> install to a 10.1 machine and make a dump there.

How do I move existing install onto other 10.1
machine??

That looks like my only hope now...

> For 7.2.x on 10.2, you could try all three versions
> of Marc's distribution for a functional pg_dump or
> pg_dumpall.  Or, install fink and try to get 7.2.x
> working via fink.  Otherwise, you'll need to tweak
> the 7.2 sources manually (sorry, I can't help you
> with this last one).

Don't want to mess around with Fink, but is there a
way to have 2 version installions on the same machine?

Regards,
babu.
> - Jeff
>

> >You will have to dump 7.2 before moving to 7.3.
> 7.3 requires a db init.  So your best bet is to
> recompile 7.2 on 10.2.
> >

> >On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Babu
> Khan wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks Jeffrey,
> >>
> >>I am aware of the page by Marc Liyanage, infact I
> >>tried to update according to the instructions, but
> my
> >>problem is that pg_dump is not working ( it gives
> some
> >>undefined variable in libararies errors), so if I
> need
> >>to upgrade to 7.3 from 7.2.1.5 can I do it without
> >>backing up the data. i understand this is only
> >>possible if internal table structures, etc haven't
> >>changed in 7.3 from 7.2.1.5
> >>
> >>babu.

> with

> using

> unable
> 10.1
> run
> will

>>>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

> majordomo@postgresql.org
> >

> >---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> >TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
>
> --
>
> Jeff Bohmer
> VisionLink, Inc.
> _________________________________
> 303.402.0170
> www.visionlink.org
> _________________________________
> People. Tools. Change. Community.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Eric B.Ridge
Дата:
> How do I move existing install onto other 10.1
> machine??
>
> That looks like my only hope now...

Just tar up your postgres install directory  and untar it on the other
box, making sure to keep file ownership the same if at all possible.

I've got a 7.2.3 source tree hacked up that compiles on 10.2 if that
would help.  I can tar it up and make it available for you to download.

> Don't want to mess around with Fink, but is there a
> way to have 2 version installions on the same machine?

oh yeah.  I keep 7.2 and 7.3 installed on my box, just in different
directories.  I only run 1 at a time however.

eric

> Regards,
> babu.
>> - Jeff
>>

>>> You will have to dump 7.2 before moving to 7.3.
>> 7.3 requires a db init.  So your best bet is to
>> recompile 7.2 on 10.2.

>> my
>> some
>> need

>> with

>> using

>> unable
>> 10.1
>> run
>> will

>> majordomo@postgresql.org
>>>

>>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>>

>> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Bohmer
>> VisionLink, Inc.
>> _________________________________
>> 303.402.0170
>> www.visionlink.org
>> _________________________________
>> People. Tools. Change. Community.

> http://mailplus.yahoo.com
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

Дата:
"Eric B.Ridge" <ebr@tcdi.com> writes:
>> Don't want to mess around with Fink, but is there a
>> way to have 2 version installions on the same machine?

> oh yeah.  I keep 7.2 and 7.3 installed on my box, just in different
> directories.  I only run 1 at a time however.

You can run both at once, too, if you start them on different ports.
(If you plan to do that, it's convenient to use configure --with-pgport
to assign a different default port to each build; then you don't have to
remember to set the port number when starting a postmaster.)  The
various distributions' boot scripts probably don't support this without
tweaking, but it's not hard to start a postmaster by hand using pg_ctl.

I currently have [...quick ps...] five different postmasters running on
this machine; for testing purposes it's nice to have back-rev versions
of Postgres readily available, so I keep everything back to 7.0 fired up.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Brian Hirt
Дата:
On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 02:02 PM, Babu Khan wrote:

> --- Jeffrey Bohmer <bohmer@visionlink.org> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have an existing 7.2 dump that could be used
>> in a restore now?  If so, you can install 7.3 and
>> restore from that dump.  If not, then you'll need to
>> get 7.2.x (any version of it) on your 10.2 machine
>> to make a dump.  Or, move your existing 7.2.1.5
>> install to a 10.1 machine and make a dump there.
>>
> How do I move existing install onto other 10.1
> machine??
>
> That looks like my only hope now...

You can make an archive of the database directory, transfer it over and
expand it.  If postgres isn't install on the other box, you'll probably
want to compile it or re-install it from a pagkage if that's where you
got it.  Trying to transfer the libraries and executables would be a
pain.

>> For 7.2.x on 10.2, you could try all three versions
>> of Marc's distribution for a functional pg_dump or
>> pg_dumpall.  Or, install fink and try to get 7.2.x
>> working via fink.  Otherwise, you'll need to tweak
>> the 7.2 sources manually (sorry, I can't help you
>> with this last one).
>>

> Don't want to mess around with Fink, but is there a
> way to have 2 version installions on the same machine?

Yes,  when i build postgres, i specify the prefix directory using
--prefix=/somedir  So my development box has a /usr/pg-7.2 and a
/usr/pg-7.3 where the respective installations are done.

> Regards,
> babu.
>> - Jeff
>>

>>> You will have to dump 7.2 before moving to 7.3.
>> 7.3 requires a db init.  So your best bet is to
>> recompile 7.2 on 10.2.

>> my
>> some
>> need

>> with

>> using

>> unable
>> 10.1
>> run
>> will

>> majordomo@postgresql.org
>>>

>>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>>

>> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Bohmer
>> VisionLink, Inc.
>> _________________________________
>> 303.402.0170
>> www.visionlink.org
>> _________________________________
>> People. Tools. Change. Community.

> http://mailplus.yahoo.com
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От
Christoph Dalitz
Дата:
On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:42:28 -0500
pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:39:14 -0500
> From: Eric B.Ridge <ebr@tcdi.com>
> Subject: Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar
>
> > How do I move existing install onto other 10.1
> > machine??
> >
> > That looks like my only hope now...
>
> Just tar up your postgres install directory  and untar it on the other
> box, making sure to keep file ownership the same if at all possible.

If it is a lot of data, you could also export it via NFS and just mount the
directory on the 10.1 machine. Mac OS X ships with NFS.

This brings up another question:
Were it possible to use the Postgres data directory from Mac OS X with a Postgres
server on a different OS (eg. Linux, FreeBSD)? In other words: is the contents
of the PGDATA directory plattform dependent?

Christoph Dalitz

Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

Дата:
Christoph Dalitz <christoph.dalitz@hs-niederrhein.de> writes:
> This brings up another question:
> Were it possible to use the Postgres data directory from Mac OS X with a Postgres
> server on a different OS (eg. Linux, FreeBSD)? In other words: is the contents
> of the PGDATA directory plattform dependent?

PGDATA is definitely hardware dependent: endianness, alignment padding,
and floating-point format, for starters, will vary across machines.

It might work to copy the files to another OS running on similar
hardware.  I've never tried it.

            regards, tom lane