Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Version Problems on Mac OS X.2 Jaguar
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Eric B.Ridge" <ebr@tcdi.com> writes:
>> Don't want to mess around with Fink, but is there a
>> way to have 2 version installions on the same machine?

> oh yeah.  I keep 7.2 and 7.3 installed on my box, just in different
> directories.  I only run 1 at a time however.

You can run both at once, too, if you start them on different ports.
(If you plan to do that, it's convenient to use configure --with-pgport
to assign a different default port to each build; then you don't have to
remember to set the port number when starting a postmaster.)  The
various distributions' boot scripts probably don't support this without
tweaking, but it's not hard to start a postmaster by hand using pg_ctl.

I currently have [...quick ps...] five different postmasters running on
this machine; for testing purposes it's nice to have back-rev versions
of Postgres readily available, so I keep everything back to 7.0 fired up.