Обсуждение: Sourceforge on Oracle?

Sourceforge on Oracle?

Дата:
I just read that the new commercial version of Sourceforge will _only_
run on Linux/Oracle:

    http://www.idg.net/ic_724290_1773_1-3921.html

Formerly, there was only a non-commerical version and it ran on
PostgreSQL.

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

Дата:
> I just read that the new commercial version of Sourceforge will _only_
> run on Linux/Oracle:
>     http://www.idg.net/ic_724290_1773_1-3921.html

I suppose it'd be inappropriate to post this link on Slashdot under
a heading like "SourceForge Sells Out: No more open-source database
support" ...

Tim Perdue read this list last I heard, wonder if he's going to weigh
in on this thread?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
tomasz konefal
Дата:
Sorry to interject here, but I did not read anywhere in that article that
Sourceforge 3.0 will ONLY use Oracle.  It does however say:

"Initially, the software will only run on a Linux server and work with Oracle
Corp.'s Oracle8i database software. The company plans to roll out versions of
SourceForge to run on other platforms "very shortly," Augustin said. The
first of those will be a version that runs on Sun Microsystems Inc.'s Solaris
server operating system."

From that, my assumption would be that the report is incomplete in its list
of supported database backends and not that it only supports Oracle.  It
would be best to contact VA and ask them directly before we all panic, no? :)

Cheers,
  twkonefal

--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I just read that the new commercial version of Sourceforge will _only_
> > run on Linux/Oracle:
> >     http://www.idg.net/ic_724290_1773_1-3921.html
>
> I suppose it'd be inappropriate to post this link on Slashdot under
> a heading like "SourceForge Sells Out: No more open-source database
> support" ...
>
> Tim Perdue read this list last I heard, wonder if he's going to weigh
> in on this thread?
>
>             regards, tom lane

=====
http://adbusters.org/magazine/28/usa.html

"There never was economic evidence in favor of capital market liberalization... There still isn't. It increases risk
anddoesn't increase growth. You'd think [defenders of liberalization] would say to me by now, 'You haven't read these
10studies,' but they haven't, because there's not even one. There isn't the intellectual basis that you would have
thoughtrequired for a major change in international rules. It was all based on ideology."

Build your own website for free and in minutes at http://ca.geocities.com

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
At 01:27 07/11/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Sorry to interject here, but I did not read anywhere in that article that
>Sourceforge 3.0 will ONLY use Oracle.

1) SourceForge move to Oracle is a way to privatize SourceForge 3.0 source
code. Do you know if Oracle source code will be made freely available?

2) PostgreSQL lacks some important features
How can you explain your boss that it is impossible to:
- DROP a field,
- PROMOTE/DEMOTEa field type,
- CREATE OR REPLACE a view or a trigger in PostgreSQL.

3) Integration need (I guess)
Compaq needs to integrate data into their Oracle data-mining center. This
means that PostgreSQL would benefit from schema support and OLAP features.

3) The future is ours
On the long run, PostgreSQL will beat Oracle and other database systems.
These are the laws of evolution. Even if one day Oracle said 'OK guys,
we-own-a-patent-on-all-databases-systems', this would not change the
direction of evolution. PostgreSQL source code will still be developed
somewhere on the planet.

PostgreSQL is like DNA: it is universal and will never disappear.
We are freedom fighters.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
mirko-lists@picard.inka.de (Mirko Zeibig)
Дата:
J Smith <dark_panda@hushmail.com> wrote:

> Here's another interesting tidbit -- if you check out the SourceForge
> project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria/, it seems
> they've taken down all of their published code and closed their CVS
> repository. Nice.

Hello J,

check the news section!
Citing:

the code now is available at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria-dev/

Regards
Mirko
--
GPG public key  = http://www.zeibig.net/public_key.asc
GPG fingerprint = E85C D909 DC39 47CE 1757  BA36 4C68 41C8 BED4 5A8E

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
J Smith
Дата:
Although my submission to /. on the subject was rejected, they posted
something similar today. Tim responded to one of my posts with the
following:

"I decided to let go of the wreckage called VA Linux about 2 1/2 months
ago, so I'm not involved.

The switch to closed-source and Oracle is a result of the... shall we
say... lack of success in the sales department while the open source code
was available."

FWIW.

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I just read that the new commercial version of Sourceforge will _only_
>> run on Linux/Oracle:
>> http://www.idg.net/ic_724290_1773_1-3921.html
>
> I suppose it'd be inappropriate to post this link on Slashdot under
> a heading like "SourceForge Sells Out: No more open-source database
> support" ...
>
> Tim Perdue read this list last I heard, wonder if he's going to weigh
> in on this thread?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
J Smith
Дата:

Earlier, I wrote:

> Although my submission to /. on the subject was rejected, they posted
> something similar today. Tim responded to one of my posts with the
> following:
>
> "I decided to let go of the wreckage called VA Linux about 2 1/2 months
> ago, so I'm not involved.
>
> The switch to closed-source and Oracle is a result of the... shall we
> say... lack of success in the sales department while the open source code
> was available."
>
> FWIW.

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>>> I just read that the new commercial version of Sourceforge will _only_
>>> run on Linux/Oracle:
>>> http://www.idg.net/ic_724290_1773_1-3921.html
>>
>> I suppose it'd be inappropriate to post this link on Slashdot under
>> a heading like "SourceForge Sells Out: No more open-source database
>> support" ...
>>
>> Tim Perdue read this list last I heard, wonder if he's going to weigh
>> in on this thread?
>>
>> regards, tom lane

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
"Ned Lilly"
Дата:
Nice indeed.  Well, now that VA Linux and CollabNet have both gone
over to the dark side, let me make a pitch for the "gborg"
software - which powered the late greatbridge.org site.  If people
are looking for a SourceForgey-type of collaborative development
suite, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by gborg.  And, of
course, the price is right.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php

I know there have been some issues getting it moved over to Hub.org,
but I think Mark and Chris have just about ironed them all out.

It's powered by Postgres, with the Mailman listserver and CVS
underneath.  Issue tracking, task manager, patch and download
manager, and other glue all in PHP.  We'd kicked around the idea of
a unified communications approach, which would have involved hacking
Mailman to use Postgres as the data store, then possibly grafting on
a message board like Phorum along side of it - so you could post to,
and receive from, either mail, news, or Web board.  That's a bit of
work, but the foundation is all there today.

Cheers,
Ned

> Here's another interesting tidbit -- if you check out the
SourceForge
> project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria/, it
seems
> they've taken down all of their published code and closed their
CVS
> repository. Nice.

> Earlier, I wrote:
>

> > Although my submission to /. on the subject was rejected, they
posted
> > something similar today. Tim responded to one of my posts with
the
> > following:
> >
> > "I decided to let go of the wreckage called VA Linux about 2 1/2
months
> > ago, so I'm not involved.
> >
> > The switch to closed-source and Oracle is a result of the...
shall we
> > say... lack of success in the sales department while the open
source code
> > was available."
> >
> > FWIW.

> > Tom Lane wrote:

> >> I suppose it'd be inappropriate to post this link on Slashdot
under
> >> a heading like "SourceForge Sells Out: No more open-source
database
> >> support" ...
> >>
> >> Tim Perdue read this list last I heard, wonder if he's going to
weigh
> >> in on this thread?
> >>
> >> regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

gborg was Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
"Thomas T. Thai"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Ned Lilly wrote:

> Nice indeed.  Well, now that VA Linux and CollabNet have both gone
> over to the dark side, let me make a pitch for the "gborg"
> software - which powered the late greatbridge.org site.  If people
> are looking for a SourceForgey-type of collaborative development
> suite, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by gborg.  And, of
> course, the price is right.
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php

there used to be a phpadsnew ported to pgsql that was listed on the
greatbridge.org website. what happened to that? i don't see it listed in
the projects area in this new site.

Re: gborg was Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
"Ned Lilly"
Дата:
There's a link to it on the homepage -

http://gborg.postgresql.org/

project details at:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/phppgads/projdisplay.php

From: "Thomas T. Thai" <tom@minnesota.com>:

> there used to be a phpadsnew ported to pgsql that was listed on
the
> greatbridge.org website. what happened to that? i don't see it
listed in
> the projects area in this new site.

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle? (WAY OT)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Ned,

(Welcome back.  :)  )

Here's an interesting thought... wonder who has the latest copy of the
SF project code?  How about setting up a NEW project for Sourceforge,
call it "Alexia" for example, on Sourceforge.

Now, I wonder what the moral/legal ramifications would be if they found
out then took it down?  (As they would)

;)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Ned Lilly wrote:

> Nice indeed.  Well, now that VA Linux and CollabNet have both gone
> over to the dark side, let me make a pitch for the "gborg"
> software - which powered the late greatbridge.org site.  If people
> are looking for a SourceForgey-type of collaborative development
> suite, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by gborg.  And, of
> course, the price is right.
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php
>
> I know there have been some issues getting it moved over to Hub.org,
> but I think Mark and Chris have just about ironed them all out.
>
> It's powered by Postgres, with the Mailman listserver and CVS
> underneath.  Issue tracking, task manager, patch and download
> manager, and other glue all in PHP.  We'd kicked around the idea of
> a unified communications approach, which would have involved hacking
> Mailman to use Postgres as the data store, then possibly grafting on
> a message board like Phorum along side of it - so you could post to,
> and receive from, either mail, news, or Web board.  That's a bit of
> work, but the foundation is all there today.
>
> Cheers,
> Ned

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
John Clark Naldoza y Lopez

> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php

Does someone know where I can download this file?  I tried to download
it here...

But all I got is the following =(

[njclark@penguin FTP]$ tail -f wget-log
--08:37:20--
ftp://gborg.postgresql.org/pub/gborg/stable/gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz
           => `gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz'
Connecting to gborg.postgresql.org:21...
gborg.postgresql.org: Host not found

And yet I can see the site through http, really wierd =(

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done"
--Linus Torvalds

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just ttried here, and downloaded fine ...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, John Clark Naldoza y Lopez wrote:

> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php
> >

> Does someone know where I can download this file?  I tried to download
> it here...
>
> But all I got is the following =(
>
> [njclark@penguin FTP]$ tail -f wget-log
> --08:37:20--
> ftp://gborg.postgresql.org/pub/gborg/stable/gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz
>            => `gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz'
> Connecting to gborg.postgresql.org:21...
> gborg.postgresql.org: Host not found
>
> And yet I can see the site through http, really wierd =(
>
> --
>      /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
>     / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \
>   _( (_    _  Open Source Software Consultant                _) )_
>  (((\ \>  /_>    Spectral Wave Manager                 <_\  </ /)))
>  (\\\\ \_/ /         NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc.  \ \_/ ////)
>   \       /                                              \       /
>    \    _/  phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115            \_    /
>    /   /  cellphone: (+63 919) 399-4742                     \   \
>   /   / email: njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp                        \   \
>

> "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
> done"
> --Linus Torvalds

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
have you tried just a simple ftp client vs the browser?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, John Clark Naldoza y Lopez wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> >
> > Just ttried here, and downloaded fine ...
>

> Must be my connection here at the office =(
>
> --
>      /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
>     / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \
>   _( (_    _  Open Source Software Consultant                _) )_
>  (((\ \>  /_>    Spectral Wave Manager                 <_\  </ /)))
>  (\\\\ \_/ /         NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc.  \ \_/ ////)
>   \       /                                              \       /
>    \    _/  phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115            \_    /
>    /   /  cellphone: (+63 919) 399-4742                     \   \
>   /   / email: njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp                        \   \
>

> "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
> done"
> --Linus Torvalds

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle? (WAY OT)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi All,

Looks like we were wrong.  They've still got the SF Alexandria code
online, it's just been moved to a different project :

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Ned,
>
> (Welcome back.  :)  )
>
> Here's an interesting thought... wonder who has the latest copy of the
> SF project code?  How about setting up a NEW project for Sourceforge,
> call it "Alexia" for example, on Sourceforge.
>
> Now, I wonder what the moral/legal ramifications would be if they found
> out then took it down?  (As they would)
>
> ;)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> Ned Lilly wrote:
> >
> > Nice indeed.  Well, now that VA Linux and CollabNet have both gone
> > over to the dark side, let me make a pitch for the "gborg"
> > software - which powered the late greatbridge.org site.  If people
> > are looking for a SourceForgey-type of collaborative development
> > suite, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by gborg.  And, of
> > course, the price is right.
> >
> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php
> >
> > I know there have been some issues getting it moved over to Hub.org,
> > but I think Mark and Chris have just about ironed them all out.
> >
> > It's powered by Postgres, with the Mailman listserver and CVS
> > underneath.  Issue tracking, task manager, patch and download
> > manager, and other glue all in PHP.  We'd kicked around the idea of
> > a unified communications approach, which would have involved hacking
> > Mailman to use Postgres as the data store, then possibly grafting on
> > a message board like Phorum along side of it - so you could post to,
> > and receive from, either mail, news, or Web board.  That's a bit of
> > work, but the foundation is all there today.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ned

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> Just ttried here, and downloaded fine ...

Must be my connection here at the office =(

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \
  _( (_    _  Open Source Software Consultant                _) )_
 (((\ \>  /_>    Spectral Wave Manager                 <_\  </ /)))
 (\\\\ \_/ /         NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc.  \ \_/ ////)
  \       /                                              \       /
   \    _/  phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115            \_    /
   /   /  cellphone: (+63 919) 399-4742                     \   \
  /   / email: njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp                        \   \

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done"
--Linus Torvalds

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle? (WAY OT)

От
cbbrowne@acm.org
Дата:
justin@postgresql.org (Justin Clift) writes:
> Here's an interesting thought... wonder who has the latest copy of the
> SF project code?  How about setting up a NEW project for Sourceforge,
> call it "Alexia" for example, on Sourceforge.
>
> Now, I wonder what the moral/legal ramifications would be if they found
> out then took it down?  (As they would)
>
> ;)

Call it Savannah, and just mirror the Savannah development efforts at
SourceForge...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/xwindows.html

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
John,
    The URL's listed below all work for me. The only reason I can think you
would be having a problem would be because of DNS  related issues. You can try
64.49.215.7 instead of gborg.postgresql.org.

    I hope this helps. If you have anything else, let me know.

Chris Ryan

Quoting John Clark Naldoza y Lopez <njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp>:

> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/gborg/projdisplay.php
> >

> Does someone know where I can download this file?  I tried to download
> it here...
>
> But all I got is the following =(
>
> [njclark@penguin FTP]$ tail -f wget-log
> --08:37:20--
> ftp://gborg.postgresql.org/pub/gborg/stable/gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz
>            => `gbsite-2.1.0.tar.gz'
> Connecting to gborg.postgresql.org:21...
> gborg.postgresql.org: Host not found
>
> And yet I can see the site through http, really wierd =(
>
> --
>      /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
>     / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \
>   _( (_    _  Open Source Software Consultant                _) )_
>  (((\ \>  /_>    Spectral Wave Manager                 <_\  </ /)))
>  (\\\\ \_/ /         NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc.  \ \_/ ////)
>   \       /                                              \       /
>    \    _/  phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115            \_    /
>    /   /  cellphone: (+63 919) 399-4742                     \   \
>   /   / email: njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp                        \   \
>

> "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
> done"
> --Linus Torvalds

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Sourceforge on Oracle? (WAY OT)

От
J Smith
Дата:
My bad I guess, although they did move it from where it was normally found.
I didn't see any notices about the move or anything, and I had heard
several people come to the same sort of conclusion.

That aside, I'll still be a little miffed if they go with Oracle on their
actual web site. (I'm not overly concerned about the commercial "Enterprise
Edition" or whatever it's called.) It just seems so... wrong. "Hey, we're
pillars of open source/free software, but that doesn't mean we actually
have to use it."

Whatever. Hopefully they'll stick with free software (hopefully PgSQL, but
hell, I'd rather see any OSS/FS database up there over Oracle or MS SQL.