Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: Sourceforge on Oracle?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 01:27 07/11/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Sorry to interject here, but I did not read anywhere in that article that
>Sourceforge 3.0 will ONLY use Oracle.

1) SourceForge move to Oracle is a way to privatize SourceForge 3.0 source
code. Do you know if Oracle source code will be made freely available?

2) PostgreSQL lacks some important features
How can you explain your boss that it is impossible to:
- DROP a field,
- PROMOTE/DEMOTEa field type,
- CREATE OR REPLACE a view or a trigger in PostgreSQL.

3) Integration need (I guess)
Compaq needs to integrate data into their Oracle data-mining center. This
means that PostgreSQL would benefit from schema support and OLAP features.

3) The future is ours
On the long run, PostgreSQL will beat Oracle and other database systems.
These are the laws of evolution. Even if one day Oracle said 'OK guys,
we-own-a-patent-on-all-databases-systems', this would not change the
direction of evolution. PostgreSQL source code will still be developed
somewhere on the planet.

PostgreSQL is like DNA: it is universal and will never disappear.
We are freedom fighters.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE