Обсуждение: USA Disaster

USA Disaster

От
Carlos Felipe Zirbes
Дата:
Hope none of us in this list has been affected by that terrorist act.

Carlos Felipe Zirbes
DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
Fone: (51) 3342-8055
Fax: (51) 3342-4838

Re: USA Disaster

От
Ryan Mahoney
Дата:
It's pretty incredible.  I've been watching it from my rooftop (just
outside Manhattan).  The buildings are _gone_.  Transportation has
stopped.  And there are military planes circling in the air.  Very frightening.

-r

At 01:15 PM 9/11/01 -0300, Carlos Felipe Zirbes wrote:

>Hope none of us in this list has been affected by that terrorist act.
>
>Carlos Felipe Zirbes
>DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
>E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
>Fone: (51) 3342-8055
>Fax: (51) 3342-4838

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: USA Disaster

От
Jorge Sarmiento
Дата:
I wish all the american friends the best...  I haves uffered terrorism in my
country, and its terrible ...

God help you all

Jorge Sarmiento
Lima - Peru

On Tuesday 11 September 2001 11:33 am, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> It's pretty incredible.  I've been watching it from my rooftop (just
> outside Manhattan).  The buildings are _gone_.  Transportation has
> stopped.  And there are military planes circling in the air.  Very
> frightening.
>
> -r
>
> At 01:15 PM 9/11/01 -0300, Carlos Felipe Zirbes wrote:
> >Hope none of us in this list has been affected by that terrorist act.
> >
> >Carlos Felipe Zirbes
> >DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
> >E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
> >Fone: (51) 3342-8055
> >Fax: (51) 3342-4838

> >TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >

> >---

Re: USA Disaster

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 11 September 2001 12:15 pm, Carlos Felipe Zirbes wrote:
> Hope none of us in this list has been affected by that terrorist act.

Unfortunately, everyone in the US will be directly affected by this.  Some
are just more directly affected than others. :-(

Hopefully no one on this list will be affected by the war that is likely to
result from these cowardly acts. :-(
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: USA Disaster

От
Manuel Cabido
Дата:
Ryan,

    Can you give us a brief of what really happened out there? How many
people have died? What is now the prevailing condition of the place? Had
there been leads as to the motive of the attacks?

     Thank you very much.

manny

Re: USA Disaster

От
Hunter Hillegas
Дата:
The short answer is that most of your questions are still unknowns.

Both of the World Trade Center towers have collapsed after being hit by
hijacked passenger aircraft. 50,000 people work in the towers but there is
no estimated casualty figures.

Another hijacked passenger plane crashed into the Pentagon in Washington,
DC. The Pentagon is the worlds largest office building and houses the
Department of Defense.

All flights in the US have been grounded by the FAA.

Borders between Mexico and Canada have been closed.

All federal buildings across the nation have been evacuated.

It's crazy.

Motive has been speculated... Mostly middle-east policy and anti American
sentiment there... Nothing confirmed. Several groups have denied involvement
and Arafat (PLO) and Taliban (Afghanistan) have denounced the attacks.

The Vice President is at the White House and the President is being moved to
an undisclosed location.

> From: Manuel Cabido <manny@tinago.msuiit.edu.ph>
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:51:42 +0800 (PHT)
> To: Ryan Mahoney <ryan@paymentalliance.net>
> Cc: Carlos Felipe Zirbes <carlosz@dbserver.com.br>,
> <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] USA Disaster
>
> Ryan,
>
>   Can you give us a brief of what really happened out there? How many
> people have died? What is now the prevailing condition of the place? Had
> there been leads as to the motive of the attacks?
>
>    Thank you very much.
>
> manny

Re: USA Disaster

От
Ryan Mahoney
Дата:
I recommend checking out cnn.com, bbc, or even slashdot.  I don't know
anything more than you can read online.

 > Can you give us a brief of what really happened out there?
Two hi-jacked (sp?) planes were crashed into each of the two 110 story
World Trade Center buildings in downtown Manhattan.  Both building have
completely collapsed into themselves.  About 20,000 people where in the
buildings at the times of the two crashes.

 > How many people have died?
I don't think anyone knows for certain just yet.  It must have been very
difficult to evacuate those buildings, and there was no warning before the
first crash happened.  The number of casualties will be very high.

 > What is now the prevailing condition of the place?
They have been erased from the skyline.  It is surreal to look towards
Manhattan and not see them.

 > Had there been leads as to the motive of the attacks?
I don't think there is any consensus here.  There is some suspicion of
Palestinian terrorists.  I believe there was supposed to be a rally in
downtown Manhattan near city hall (today? or next week?), which would have
possibly been the largest group (150,000) of North American Jews gathered
in the US.

Personally I am not knowledgeable re: issues and tension that exists
between these groups.  Everything seems quiet now (there have been sirens
and airplanes through most of the day) - I think most of New York is in
complete shock.

-r
---

Re: USA Disaster

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 11 September 2001 01:51 pm, Manuel Cabido wrote:
>     Can you give us a brief of what really happened out there? How many
> people have died? What is now the prevailing condition of the place? Had
> there been leads as to the motive of the attacks?

See www.cnn.com, www.msnbc.com, www.foxnews.com, or some other news web site
(if you can get through).  While this is a horrendous thing, it isn't a
PostgreSQL thing....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: USA Disaster

От
Carlos Felipe Zirbes
Дата:
Most of New York is in shock and so is the rest of the world, I might add.

Information is pretty confuse at this time. I had heard before that there
were at least 40,000 people at the WTC at the moments of the crashes, not
20,000. It's been reported that there were at least 300 people on the
planes. Ant it seems that at the moment of the collapse of the first tower
there were hundres of firemen and paramedics inside the building. The losses
are almost countless.

USA will certainly fire a retaliation act somewhere in the world againt the
terrorists, once it finds out who are them. That scares me because it really
can start a war. But I don't think any country will be brave enough to claim
responsability for the act. If the one to blame is really Osama Bin Laden I
don't know what USA can do, since it has been after Osama for years now and
never got even near him.

I have also heard that maybe the army will take over the control of the
country, putting Bush aside. Just don't know if that can really happen...

Carlos Felipe Zirbes
DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
Fone: (51) 3342-8055
Fax: (51) 3342-4838

I recommend checking out cnn.com, bbc, or even slashdot.  I don't know
anything more than you can read online.

 > Can you give us a brief of what really happened out there?
Two hi-jacked (sp?) planes were crashed into each of the two 110 story
World Trade Center buildings in downtown Manhattan.  Both building have
completely collapsed into themselves.  About 20,000 people where in the
buildings at the times of the two crashes.

 > How many people have died?
I don't think anyone knows for certain just yet.  It must have been very
difficult to evacuate those buildings, and there was no warning before the
first crash happened.  The number of casualties will be very high.

 > What is now the prevailing condition of the place?
They have been erased from the skyline.  It is surreal to look towards
Manhattan and not see them.

 > Had there been leads as to the motive of the attacks?
I don't think there is any consensus here.  There is some suspicion of
Palestinian terrorists.  I believe there was supposed to be a rally in
downtown Manhattan near city hall (today? or next week?), which would have
possibly been the largest group (150,000) of North American Jews gathered
in the US.

Personally I am not knowledgeable re: issues and tension that exists
between these groups.  Everything seems quiet now (there have been sirens
and airplanes through most of the day) - I think most of New York is in
complete shock.

-r

Re: USA Disaster

От
"Norbert Zoltan Toth"
Дата:
Sorry guys, but there are many of us on this list which has been dedicated
to postgres type of Q/A.
I know that this is a frontpage news at many places, but as far as this list
is concerned, it's a spam.
Could you please find another forum to discuss these issues?

Thanx

> Most of New York is in shock and so is the rest of the world, I might add.
>
> Information is pretty confuse at this time. I had heard before that there
> were at least 40,000 people at the WTC at the moments of the crashes, not
> 20,000. It's been reported that there were at least 300 people on the
> planes. Ant it seems that at the moment of the collapse of the first tower
> there were hundres of firemen and paramedics inside the building. The
losses
> are almost countless.
>
> USA will certainly fire a retaliation act somewhere in the world againt
the
> terrorists, once it finds out who are them. That scares me because it
really
> can start a war. But I don't think any country will be brave enough to
claim
> responsability for the act. If the one to blame is really Osama Bin Laden
> don't know what USA can do, since it has been after Osama for years now
and
> never got even near him.
>
> I have also heard that maybe the army will take over the control of the
> country, putting Bush aside. Just don't know if that can really happen...
>

> Carlos Felipe Zirbes
> DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
> E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
> Fone: (51) 3342-8055
> Fax: (51) 3342-4838

Re: USA Disaster

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 11 September 2001 02:47 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane is somewhere away from home in the US so he is already affected
> because he can't return home.  He was supposed to return tomorrow, but
> that is now uncertain.  I call his home and left a message.

Well, the PostgreSQL project is then directly affected...
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: USA Disaster

Дата:
> On Tuesday 11 September 2001 12:15 pm, Carlos Felipe Zirbes wrote:
> > Hope none of us in this list has been affected by that terrorist act.
>
> Unfortunately, everyone in the US will be directly affected by this.  Some
> are just more directly affected than others. :-(
>
> Hopefully no one on this list will be affected by the war that is likely to
> result from these cowardly acts. :-(

Tom Lane is somewhere away from home in the US so he is already affected
because he can't return home.  He was supposed to return tomorrow, but
that is now uncertain.  I call his home and left a message.

Re: USA Disaster

От
Carlos Felipe Zirbes
Дата:
Well, this time it will be very difficult for the president to consult the
congress, since Capitol Hill apears to have also been destroyed.

But I agree with you. I don't think there's any reason to declare martial
law or anything like that since the terrorists are probably dead now. That
kind of thing is more likely to happen when the enemy is still active. Have
you seen the movie "New York Under Siege"?

As I said in my previous mail, I heard, better saying, read, that
information on an Internet site (www.terra.com.br) and was not sure if such
a thing could really happen.