Обсуждение: problem installing Postgresql DB

problem installing Postgresql DB

От
"Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg"
Дата:
Hi !

I'm trying to install postgresql DB in a windows 2000 OS

I follow instructions found at:
http://www2.se.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin.html

I've succesfully (as far as I know) completed installation of Cygwin,
and have downloadede the cygipc package.

When I try to install/untar the cygipc package, I get an error
Thanx in advance for any help  !!

***start dump from Cygwin window***
Administrator@INCYMACHINE2 /usr/local
$ pwd
/usr/local

Administrator@INCYMACHINE2 /usr/local
$ tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2

Administrator@INCYMACHINE2 /usr/local
$
***end dump from Cygwin window***
vh,
Ingebrigt M Berg
Berg & Bell AS
(+47) 98252360
berg@berg-bell.com
http://berg-bell.com

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
Dave Brunberg
Дата:
I think that maybe you don't have bzip2 installed?  Try downloading the
gzip-ed tarfile.

dwb
David W. Brunberg
Engineering Supervisor - Field Process
The F.B. Leopold Company, Inc.
227 South Division Street
Zelienople PA 16063
(724) 452-6300

Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ingebrigt,

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:38:44PM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg wrote:
> Administrator@INCYMACHINE2 /usr/local
> $ tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
> tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> tar: Child returned status 2

Install the bzip2 package.  I would also recommend installing all Cygwin
packages unless you know what you are doing.  BTW, a pre-built PostgreSQL
is part of the standard Cygwin distribution.

Please read the README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.README

Thanks,
Jason

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ingebrigt,

Please keep replies onlist!

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 04:08:33PM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg wrote:
> I solved this problem, after installing all packages in Cygwin,
> including bzip2. I'm now stuck at a different problem:
>
> -I'v installed & started the ipc daemon & postmaster services, and I
> can see in the component services console that they are running.
> (Note: I'm using the Administrator user, not the postgres user)

The above is fine albeit insecure.

> -When I try:
>
> psql -U Administrator template1
>
> I get: "psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request."
>
> If I refresh the component services console, I see that the
> postmaster service is no longer running.
>
> Do you have any clue as to what is causing this problem ?

No.  Is there anything interesting in /var/log/postmaster.log?  What
happens when you run postmaster from the command line?

Jason

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
"Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg"
Дата:
Jason,

I did as you asked, and it seems I have a problem with memory or with
swap space. Seems a bit starnge that I should have this, though.
Anyone out there with any pointers ?

From the Cygwin window:

***start dump***
Administrator@MyMachine ~
$ net start postmaster
The postmaster service is starting.
The postmaster service was started successfully.

Administrator@MyMachine ~
$ psql -U postgres template1
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.
***end dump***

In the log (I emptied the log first):

DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2002-03-08 13:21:42
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/113A80
DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/113A80; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
TRUE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 89; next oid: 16556
DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic
recovery in progress
DEBUG:  ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/113AC0
DEBUG:  redo is not required
DEBUG:  database system is ready
ZeroProcSemaphore: semctl(id=0,SETVAL) failed: Invalid argument
DEBUG:  server process (pid 1700) exited with exit code 255
DEBUG:  terminating any other active server processes
DEBUG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory
and semaphores
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1441792, 03600) failed: Not
enough memory

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 1441792 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.

Ingebrigt

>On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 04:08:33PM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg
>wrote:
>> I solved this problem, after installing all packages in Cygwin,
>> including bzip2. I'm now stuck at a different problem:
>>
>> -I'v installed & started the ipc daemon & postmaster services, and
>> can see in the component services console that they are running.
>> (Note: I'm using the Administrator user, not the postgres user)
>
>The above is fine albeit insecure.
>
>> -When I try:
>>
>> psql -U Administrator template1
>>
>> I get: "psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>         before or while processing the request."
>>
>> If I refresh the component services console, I see that the
>> postmaster service is no longer running.
>>
>> Do you have any clue as to what is causing this problem ?
>
>No.  Is there anything interesting in /var/log/postmaster.log?  What
>happens when you run postmaster from the command line?
>
>Jason

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ingebrigt,

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:29:37PM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg wrote:
> I did as you asked, and it seems I have a problem with memory or with
> swap space. Seems a bit starnge that I should have this, though.
> Anyone out there with any pointers ?

Does the following from the README apply?

    2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
    (/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster under
    a different user account.  Otherwise, postmaster will fail to start
    due to IPC errors.

Jason

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
"Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg"
Дата:
Jason,

Nope, this is not the problem (I had a problem with this earlier,
when I changed away from the postgres user, but I solved this as
described in README)

Doublechecked now (i.e. deleted the files, tried again), and still
have the same problem.

cheers,
Ingebrigt

>On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:29:37PM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg
>wrote:
>> I did as you asked, and it seems I have a problem with memory or
>with
>> swap space. Seems a bit starnge that I should have this, though.
>> Anyone out there with any pointers ?
>
>Does the following from the README apply?
>
>    2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
>    (/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster
>under
>    a different user account.  Otherwise, postmaster will fail to
>start
>    due to IPC errors.
>
>Jason

vh,
Ingebrigt M Berg
Berg & Bell AS
(+47) 98252360
berg@berg-bell.com
http://berg-bell.com

Re: problem installing Postgresql DB

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ingebrigt,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 12:29:57AM +0100, Ingebrigt Maurstad Berg wrote:
> Nope, this is not the problem (I had a problem with this earlier,
> when I changed away from the postgres user, but I solved this as
> described in README)
>
> Doublechecked now (i.e. deleted the files, tried again), and still
> have the same problem.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.  Hopefully, someone else can help...

Jason