Re: Troubles at Startup

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Troubles at Startup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 15:13, Hugh Esco wrote:
> Problem solved!
>
> When using pg_ctl to make the postmaster see a pg_hba.conf file that had
> been edited while the database server was running, I got a message that it
> looked for, but did not find, the psql script in the
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin directory.  So I copied this file from /usr/bin
> (where the apt-get install postgresql had installed it) to
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin.  And while I am still having trouble invoking a
> psql command line prompt, I am now getting postmaster starting up
> automatically at boot up, exactly as /etc/rc#.d says it should.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble getting a command line, since
you appear to have overwritten the real psql in
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql with the symbolic link /usr/bin/psql, which
is a link to /usr/bin/pg_wrapper, which tries to call
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql.

I also don't see how this can make any difference to how postmaster
starts up, since postmaster does not use psql at all.

> Is there some appropriate place I should report this problem to the folks
> who build and maintain the Debian package for postgresql, so this matter
> can be handled in future distributions?

Debian bug reports in general go to bugs.debian.org.  The proper way to
report them is to use reportbug (install the reportbug package).  Debian
PostgreSQL bug reports will come to me, so you needn't bother in this
particular case.

You never did answer the question whether you could run
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql directly.

psql is part of the postgresql-client package, not postgresql.  It seems
to me you should reinstall postgresql-client, and then we can take
another look at your situation.

     "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
      all that call upon him in truth."
                                   Psalms 145:18