Обсуждение: Troubles at Startup

Troubles at Startup

От
Hugh Esco
Hello:

Although /etc/init.d/postgresql script is listed in each run level startup
script at /etc/rc#.d, for some reason completely beyond me, postmaster must
be manually started each time I boot up.  Any help getting the database
server to automatically start at boot up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-- Hugh Esco

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Hugh Esco
Дата:
I'm operating in Debian Woody, with postgreSQL 7.2.  -- Hugh

At 04:19 PM 11/13/02 -0500, you wrote:
>on linux 7.2, I just type "ntsyv" and check the postgres daemon to start
>automatically. Don't know about other systems.
>
>Hugh Esco wrote:
>>Hello:
>>Although /etc/init.d/postgresql script is listed in each run level
>>startup script at /etc/rc#.d, for some reason completely beyond me,
>>postmaster must be manually started each time I boot up.  Any help
>>getting the database server to automatically start at boot up would be
>>appreciated.
>>Thanks,
>>-- Hugh Esco
>>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
> I'm operating in Debian Woody, with PostgreSQL 7.2.  -- Hugh

Hugh-

Did you install from the Debian package or compile-your-own? We're running
7.2 on Debian 2.4, and the startup/shutdown script that Oliver Elphick
created for the Debian package has worked flawlessly for us.

If you did your own install, let me know & I'll send you a copy of the
startup script that came with the Debian package off-list.

Alternately, I recommend just using the Debian package if you don't mind
being one step back from the cutting edge.

-Nick

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Hugh Esco
Дата:
Frankly, I cannot remember.  It was before the election that I did it and
it has been a very busy few weeks since then.  I bookmarked several pg
pages in my browsers and suspect that I downloaded and compiled it on my
own, instead of using the apt-get utility.  Please do send me that
script.  Thanks.

-- Hugh

At 09:57 AM 11/14/02 -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:

> > I'm operating in Debian Woody, with PostgreSQL 7.2.  -- Hugh
>
>Hugh-
>
>Did you install from the Debian package or compile-your-own? We're running
>7.2 on Debian 2.4, and the startup/shutdown script that Oliver Elphick
>created for the Debian package has worked flawlessly for us.
>
>If you did your own install, let me know & I'll send you a copy of the
>startup script that came with the Debian package off-list.
>
>Alternately, I recommend just using the Debian package if you don't mind
>being one step back from the cutting edge.
>
>-Nick

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
"Chad R. Larson"
Дата:
At 12:07 PM 11/13/02 , Hugh Esco wrote:
>Although /etc/init.d/postgresql script is listed in each run level startup
>script at /etc/rc#.d, for some reason completely beyond me, postmaster
>must be manually started each time I boot up.  Any help getting the
>database server to automatically start at boot up would be appreciated.

The problem we had turned out to have nothing to do with the startup, it
was the shutdown.   If you have a crash or other hurried shutdown,
sometimes the ${PGDATA}/postmaster.pid file doesn't get removed.  Then the
startup will fail.  Check you're getting clean shutdowns of the
postmaster.  You could also check to see if the PID in the postmaster pid
file actually exists by using a "kill 0 <pid>" in the startup script.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Hugh Esco
Дата:
Problem solved!

When using pg_ctl to make the postmaster see a pg_hba.conf file that had
been edited while the database server was running, I got a message that it
looked for, but did not find, the psql script in the
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin directory.  So I copied this file from /usr/bin
(where the apt-get install postgresql had installed it) to
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin.  And while I am still having trouble invoking a
psql command line prompt, I am now getting postmaster starting up
automatically at boot up, exactly as /etc/rc#.d says it should.

Is there some appropriate place I should report this problem to the folks
who build and maintain the Debian package for postgresql, so this matter
can be handled in future distributions?

-- Hugh Esco

At 02:07 PM 11/13/02 -0500, Hugh Esco wrote:
>Hello:
>
>Although /etc/init.d/postgresql script is listed in each run level startup
>script at /etc/rc#.d, for some reason completely beyond me, postmaster
>must be manually started each time I boot up.  Any help getting the
>database server to automatically start at boot up would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>-- Hugh Esco

Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 15:13, Hugh Esco wrote:
> Problem solved!
>
> When using pg_ctl to make the postmaster see a pg_hba.conf file that had
> been edited while the database server was running, I got a message that it
> looked for, but did not find, the psql script in the
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin directory.  So I copied this file from /usr/bin
> (where the apt-get install postgresql had installed it) to
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin.  And while I am still having trouble invoking a
> psql command line prompt, I am now getting postmaster starting up
> automatically at boot up, exactly as /etc/rc#.d says it should.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble getting a command line, since
you appear to have overwritten the real psql in
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql with the symbolic link /usr/bin/psql, which
is a link to /usr/bin/pg_wrapper, which tries to call
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql.

I also don't see how this can make any difference to how postmaster
starts up, since postmaster does not use psql at all.

> Is there some appropriate place I should report this problem to the folks
> who build and maintain the Debian package for postgresql, so this matter
> can be handled in future distributions?

Debian bug reports in general go to bugs.debian.org.  The proper way to
report them is to use reportbug (install the reportbug package).  Debian
PostgreSQL bug reports will come to me, so you needn't bother in this
particular case.

You never did answer the question whether you could run
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql directly.

psql is part of the postgresql-client package, not postgresql.  It seems
to me you should reinstall postgresql-client, and then we can take
another look at your situation.

     "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
      all that call upon him in truth."
                                   Psalms 145:18

Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Hugh Esco
Дата:
Mr. Elphick:

OK.  Here is what I got.

>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/psql
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Oct 10 16:24 /usr/bin/psql ->
>pg_wrapper
>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/pg_w*
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6584 Sep 11 04:30 /usr/bin/pg_wrapper
>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6584 Nov 21 20:57
>/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql

So it appears that instead of copying the symbolic link, it copied instead
pg_wrapper, renaming it in the new directory as psql.

>hesco@biko:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -U hesco template1

hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.
So I open a second shell and do:
>hesco@biko:~$ su postgres
>Password:
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
>No database specified
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql template1

and that invocation also hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.

then running top in a third shell shows me:
>   512 hesco     10   0   320  320   268 S     2.1  0.5   0:03 psql
>  1978 postgres  10   0   320  320   268 S     2.1  0.5   0:00 psql

when I Control-C each of those first two shells, the hard drive stops
spinning.
Then I do the following:
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ su
>Password:
>biko:/home/hesco# apt-get remove postgresql-client
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   postgresql postgresql-client
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4530kB will be freed.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
>tall ok installed'
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>biko:/home/hesco# apt-get install postgresql-client
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>Sorry, postgresql-client is already the newest version.
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>biko:/home/hesco#

I do not know what to make of these error messages:

At 06:37 PM 11/23/02 +0000, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 15:13, Hugh Esco wrote:
> > Problem solved!
> >
> > When using pg_ctl to make the postmaster see a pg_hba.conf file that had
> > been edited while the database server was running, I got a message that it
> > looked for, but did not find, the psql script in the
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin directory.  So I copied this file from /usr/bin
> > (where the apt-get install postgresql had installed it) to
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin.  And while I am still having trouble invoking a
> > psql command line prompt, I am now getting postmaster starting up
> > automatically at boot up, exactly as /etc/rc#.d says it should.
>
>I'm not surprised you're having trouble getting a command line, since
>you appear to have overwritten the real psql in
>/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql with the symbolic link /usr/bin/psql, which
>is a link to /usr/bin/pg_wrapper, which tries to call
>/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql.
>
>I also don't see how this can make any difference to how postmaster
>starts up, since postmaster does not use psql at all.
>
> > Is there some appropriate place I should report this problem to the folks
> > who build and maintain the Debian package for postgresql, so this matter
> > can be handled in future distributions?
>
>Debian bug reports in general go to bugs.debian.org.  The proper way to
>report them is to use reportbug (install the reportbug package).  Debian
>PostgreSQL bug reports will come to me, so you needn't bother in this
>particular case.
>
>You never did answer the question whether you could run
>/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql directly.
>
>psql is part of the postgresql-client package, not postgresql.  It seems
>to me you should reinstall postgresql-client, and then we can take
>another look at your situation.
>
>--
>Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
>Isle of Wight, UK                             http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
>GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
>                  ========================================
>      "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
>       all that call upon him in truth."
>                                    Psalms 145:18

Re: Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 16:18, Hugh Esco wrote:

> So it appears that instead of copying the symbolic link, it copied instead
> pg_wrapper, renaming it in the new directory as psql.
>
> >hesco@biko:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -U hesco template1
>
> hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.
> So I open a second shell and do:
> >hesco@biko:~$ su postgres
> >Password:
> >postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
> >No database specified
> >postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql template1
>

> and that invocation also hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.

Presumably it will try to call itself recursively.  Since it does an
exec, each successive process will replace the one before.
> >biko:/home/hesco# apt-get remove postgresql-client
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   postgresql postgresql-client
> >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> >Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4530kB will be freed.
> >Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> >dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
> >tall ok installed'
> >E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I don't know what that's about; you probably have some package installed
that depends on either mysql or postgresql in some way, but I don't know
of any file diversions involving postgresql packages.  What have you got
in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions?

> >biko:/home/hesco# apt-get install postgresql-client
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Sorry, postgresql-client is already the newest version.
> >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

You need to use the --reinstall option if the package is up to date:

        apt-get --reinstall install postgresql-client

Then check the contents of /usr/lib/postgresql/bin.  You should have the
following real executable files, which are installed by
postgresql-client:

        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createuser
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createdb
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropuser
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropdb
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_dump
        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_restore

You should be able to do the following as user postgres:

        $ /usr/bin/psql -d template1

or

        $ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -d template1

and get a connection in both cases.
     "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
      life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
                                         John 14:6

Re: Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at

От
Hugh Esco
Дата:
Oliver Elphick asked:
>What have you got in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions?

Here is my preliminary answer, plus a question of my own:
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# ls -al | grep diversions
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       361825 Nov 21 18:48 diversions
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       361931 Nov 21 18:48 diversions-old
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# wc diversions
>    8841   43017  361825 diversions
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# cat diversions | grep Package: > packages.txt
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# ls -al | grep packages.txt
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         8147 Nov 23 19:44 packages.txt
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# wc packages.txt
>     430     860    8147 packages.txt
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg#

Do you really want to see the whole list?
Or is there perhaps something in particular you are looking for?

Here is the dialogue for my reinstall attempt.
Man, these error messages are starting to look familiar.

>biko:/var/lib/dpkg# apt-get --reinstall install postgresql-client
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
>0  not up
>graded.
>Need to get 0B/280kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
>tall ok installed'
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>biko:/var/lib/dpkg#

With more interminable hard disk spinning
as my only response to an attempt to once
again invoke psql.

-- Hugh Esco

At 10:41 PM 11/24/02 +0000, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createuser
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createdb
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropuser
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropdb
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_dump
>         /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_restore
>
>You should be able to do the following as user postgres:
>
>         $ /usr/bin/psql -d template1
>
>or
>
>         $ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -d template1
>
>and get a connection in both cases.
>--
>Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
>Isle of Wight, UK                             http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
>GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
>
>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at

Дата:
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 06:58, Hugh Esco wrote:
> Oliver Elphick asked:
> >What have you got in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions?
>
> Do you really want to see the whole list?
> Or is there perhaps something in particular you are looking for?

Anything relevant to mysql and postgresql

> Here is the dialogue for my reinstall attempt.
> Man, these error messages are starting to look familiar.
>
> >biko:/var/lib/dpkg# apt-get --reinstall install postgresql-client
> >dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
> >tall ok installed'
> >E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
> >biko:/var/lib/dpkg#
>
> With more interminable hard disk spinning
> as my only response to an attempt to once
> again invoke psql.

Since the reinstall failed, you're still in the same state you were in
before.

--
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
LFIX Limited