Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup

От Hugh Esco
Тема Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Mr. Elphick:

OK.  Here is what I got.

>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/psql
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Oct 10 16:24 /usr/bin/psql ->
>pg_wrapper
>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/pg_w*
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6584 Sep 11 04:30 /usr/bin/pg_wrapper
>hesco@biko:~$ ls -al /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         6584 Nov 21 20:57
>/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql

So it appears that instead of copying the symbolic link, it copied instead
pg_wrapper, renaming it in the new directory as psql.

>hesco@biko:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -U hesco template1

hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.
So I open a second shell and do:
>hesco@biko:~$ su postgres
>Password:
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
>No database specified
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql template1

and that invocation also hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.

then running top in a third shell shows me:
>   512 hesco     10   0   320  320   268 S     2.1  0.5   0:03 psql
>  1978 postgres  10   0   320  320   268 S     2.1  0.5   0:00 psql

when I Control-C each of those first two shells, the hard drive stops
spinning.
Then I do the following:
>postgres@biko:/home/hesco$ su
>Password:
>biko:/home/hesco# apt-get remove postgresql-client
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   postgresql postgresql-client
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4530kB will be freed.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
>tall ok installed'
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>biko:/home/hesco# apt-get install postgresql-client
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>Sorry, postgresql-client is already the newest version.
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>biko:/home/hesco#

I do not know what to make of these error messages:
>dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
>tall ok installed'
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

-- Hugh Esco