Обсуждение: Assert failure on bms_equal(child_joinrel->relids, child_joinrelids)

Assert failure on bms_equal(child_joinrel->relids, child_joinrelids)

От
Richard Guo
Дата:
This Assert failure can be reproduced with the query below.

create table part_tbl (a integer) partition by range (a);
create table part_tbl1 partition of part_tbl for values from (0) to (100);
set enable_partitionwise_join to on;

explain (costs off)
select * from part_tbl t1
    left join part_tbl t2 on t1.a = t2.a
    left join part_tbl t3 on t2.a = t3.a;

This should be an oversight in 9df8f903.  It seems that the new added
function add_outer_joins_to_relids() does not cope well with child
joins.  The 'input_relids' for a child join is the relid sets of child
rels while 'othersj->min_xxxhand' refers to relids of parent rels.  So
there would be problem when we add the relids of the pushed-down joins.

Instead of fixing add_outer_joins_to_relids() to cope with child joins,
I'm wondering if we can build join relids for a child join from its
parent by adjust_child_relids, something like attached.

Thanks
Richard
Вложения

Re: Assert failure on bms_equal(child_joinrel->relids, child_joinrelids)

Дата:
Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> writes:
> This should be an oversight in 9df8f903.  It seems that the new added
> function add_outer_joins_to_relids() does not cope well with child
> joins.  The 'input_relids' for a child join is the relid sets of child
> rels while 'othersj->min_xxxhand' refers to relids of parent rels.  So
> there would be problem when we add the relids of the pushed-down joins.

Indeed.  Adding the OJ relid itself works fine, but we won't get the
required matches when we scan the join_info_list.

> Instead of fixing add_outer_joins_to_relids() to cope with child joins,
> I'm wondering if we can build join relids for a child join from its
> parent by adjust_child_relids, something like attached.

That looks like a good solid solution.  Pushed with a bit of
editorialization --- mostly, that I put the test case into
partition_join.sql where there's already suitable test tables.

            regards, tom lane

On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 12:02 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> writes:
> Instead of fixing add_outer_joins_to_relids() to cope with child joins,
> I'm wondering if we can build join relids for a child join from its
> parent by adjust_child_relids, something like attached.

That looks like a good solid solution.  Pushed with a bit of
editorialization --- mostly, that I put the test case into
partition_join.sql where there's already suitable test tables.

Thanks for pushing it!

Thanks
Richard

Re: Assert failure on bms_equal(child_joinrel->relids, child_joinrelids)

От
Ashutosh Bapat
Дата:
Hi Tom, Richard,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 8:17 AM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for pushing it!

With this fix, I saw a noticeable increase in the memory consumption
of planner. I was running experiments mentioned in [1] The reason is
the Bitmapset created by bms_union() are not freed during planning and
when there are thousands of child joins involved, bitmapsets takes up
a large memory and there any a large number of bitmaps.

Attached 0002 patch fixes the memory consumption by calculating
appinfos only once and using them twice. The number look like below

Number of tables joined | without patch | with patch |
                      2 |      40.8 MiB |   40.3 MiB |
                      3 |     151.6 MiB |  146.9 MiB |
                      4 |     463.9 MiB |  445.5 MiB |
                      5 |    1663.9 MiB | 1563.3 MiB |

The memory consumption is prominent at higher number of joins as that
exponentially increases the number of child joins.

Attached setup.sql and queries.sql and patch 0001 were used to measure
memory similar to [1].

I don't think it's a problem with the patch itself. We should be able
to use Bitmapset APIs similar to what patch is doing. But there's a
problem with our Bitmapset implementation. It's not space efficient
for thousands of partitions. A quick calculation reveals this.

If the number of partitions is 1000, the matching partitions will
usually be 1000, 2000, 3000 and so on. Thus the bitmapset represnting
the relids will be {b 1000, 2000, 3000, ...}. To represent a single
1000th digit current Bitmapset implementation will allocate 1000/8 =
125 bytes of memory. A 5 way join will require 125 * 5 = 625 bytes of
memory. This is even true for lower relid numbers since they will be
1000 bits away e.g. (1, 1001, 2001, 3001, ...). So 1000 such child
joins require 625KiB memory. Doing this as many times as the number of
joins we get 120 * 625 KiB = 75 MiB which is closer to the memory
difference we see above.

Even if we allocate a list to hold 5 integers it will not take 625
bytes. I think we need to improve our Bitmapset representation to be
efficient in such cases. Of course whatever representation we choose
has to be space efficient for a small number of tables as well and
should gel well with our planner logic. So I guess some kind of
dynamic representation which changes the underlying layout based on
the contents is required. I have looked up past hacker threads to see
if this has been discussed previously.

I don't think this is the thread to discuss it and also I am not
planning to work on it in the immediate future. But I thought I would
mention it where I found it.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAExHW5stmOUobE55pMt83r8UxvfCph+Pvo5dNpdrVCsBgXEzDQ@mail.gmail.com

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Вложения
On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom, Richard,
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 8:17 AM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for pushing it!
>
> With this fix, I saw a noticeable increase in the memory consumption
> of planner. I was running experiments mentioned in [1] The reason is
> the Bitmapset created by bms_union() are not freed during planning and
> when there are thousands of child joins involved, bitmapsets takes up
> a large memory and there any a large number of bitmaps.
>
> Attached 0002 patch fixes the memory consumption by calculating
> appinfos only once and using them twice. The number look like below
>
> Number of tables joined | without patch | with patch |
>                       2 |      40.8 MiB |   40.3 MiB |
>                       3 |     151.6 MiB |  146.9 MiB |
>                       4 |     463.9 MiB |  445.5 MiB |
>                       5 |    1663.9 MiB | 1563.3 MiB |
>
> The memory consumption is prominent at higher number of joins as that
> exponentially increases the number of child joins.
>
> Attached setup.sql and queries.sql and patch 0001 were used to measure
> memory similar to [1].
>
> I don't think it's a problem with the patch itself. We should be able
> to use Bitmapset APIs similar to what patch is doing. But there's a
> problem with our Bitmapset implementation. It's not space efficient
> for thousands of partitions. A quick calculation reveals this.
>
> If the number of partitions is 1000, the matching partitions will
> usually be 1000, 2000, 3000 and so on. Thus the bitmapset represnting
> the relids will be {b 1000, 2000, 3000, ...}. To represent a single
> 1000th digit current Bitmapset implementation will allocate 1000/8 =
> 125 bytes of memory. A 5 way join will require 125 * 5 = 625 bytes of
> memory. This is even true for lower relid numbers since they will be
> 1000 bits away e.g. (1, 1001, 2001, 3001, ...). So 1000 such child
> joins require 625KiB memory. Doing this as many times as the number of
> joins we get 120 * 625 KiB = 75 MiB which is closer to the memory
> difference we see above.
>
> Even if we allocate a list to hold 5 integers it will not take 625
> bytes. I think we need to improve our Bitmapset representation to be
> efficient in such cases. Of course whatever representation we choose
> has to be space efficient for a small number of tables as well and
> should gel well with our planner logic. So I guess some kind of
> dynamic representation which changes the underlying layout based on
> the contents is required. I have looked up past hacker threads to see
> if this has been discussed previously.
>
> I don't think this is the thread to discuss it and also I am not
> planning to work on it in the immediate future. But I thought I would
> mention it where I found it.
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAExHW5stmOUobE55pMt83r8UxvfCph+Pvo5dNpdrVCsBgXEzDQ@mail.gmail.com

Adding this small patch to the commitfest in case somebody finds it
worth fixing this specific memory consumption. With a new subject.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 3:22 PM Ashutosh Bapat
> [...]
> > bytes. I think we need to improve our Bitmapset representation to be
> > efficient in such cases. Of course whatever representation we choose
> > has to be space efficient for a small number of tables as well and
> > should gel well with our planner logic. So I guess some kind of
> > dynamic representation which changes the underlying layout based on
> > the contents is required. I have looked up past hacker threads to see
> > if this has been discussed previously.
> >
> > I don't think this is the thread to discuss it and also I am not
> > planning to work on it in the immediate future. But I thought I would
> > mention it where I found it.
> >
> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAExHW5stmOUobE55pMt83r8UxvfCph+Pvo5dNpdrVCsBgXEzDQ@mail.gmail.com
> >

> Adding this small patch to the commitfest in case somebody finds it
> worth fixing this specific memory consumption. With a new subject.

Rebased patches.
0001 - is same as the squashed version of patches at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAExHW5sCJX7696sF-OnugAiaXS=Ag95=-m1cSrjcmyYj8Pduuw@mail.gmail.com.
0002 is the actual fix described earlier

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Вложения
explain.out in 0001 needed some adjustments. Without those CIbot shows
failures. Fixed in the attached patchset. 0001 is just for diagnosis,
not for actual commit. 0002 which is the actual patch has no changes
wrt to the previous version.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:06 AM Ashutosh Bapat

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Вложения
On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 2:48 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> explain.out in 0001 needed some adjustments. Without those CIbot shows
> failures. Fixed in the attached patchset. 0001 is just for diagnosis,
> not for actual commit. 0002 which is the actual patch has no changes
> wrt to the previous version.

First patch is no longer required. PFA rebased second patch.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Вложения
Hello,

I am looking through some outstanding CommitFest entries; I wonder if
this particular patch is already effectively fixed by 5278d0a2, which
is both attributed to the original author as well as an extremely
similar approach.  Can this entry
(https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4553/) be closed?

Best,

David