Обсуждение: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
aditya desai
Дата:
Hi,
We have a requirement where we need to migrate Oracle to Postgres. However the current version of Application JIRA is 6 and it is not compatible with Postgres 11. We need to do an incremental upgrade like below.
1. Migrate Oracle 11g to Postgres 9.3.
2. Upgrade JIRA 6 to 7.
3. Upgrade Postgres 9.3 to 9.6.
4. Upgrade JIRA 7 to 7.x
5. Upgarde Postgres 9.6 to 11.
6. Upgrade JIRA 7.x to 8.x

Does anyone have steps to install PG 9.3 and 9.6. I know it is not supported anymore but we are stuck with this approach. Please help :(

Regards,
Aditya.

Re: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
aditya desai
Дата:
Thanks all. This really helps. Will let you know if any issues.

A link to the archive manuals is below. Each manual contains the instructions for the archived version. Version 9.3 is available.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
Sondra

Sent from my iPhone

We have a requirement where we need to migrate Oracle to Postgres. However the current version of Application JIRA is 6 and it is not compatible with Postgres 11. We need to do an incremental upgrade like below.
1. Migrate Oracle 11g to Postgres 9.3.
2. Upgrade JIRA 6 to 7.
3. Upgrade Postgres 9.3 to 9.6.
4. Upgrade JIRA 7 to 7.x
5. Upgarde Postgres 9.6 to 11.
6. Upgrade JIRA 7.x to 8.x

Does anyone have steps to install PG 9.3 and 9.6. I know it is not supported anymore but we are stuck with this approach. Please help :(

Regards,
Aditya.

Re: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
Holger Jakobs

Are you really sure that your application software (Jira) is incompatible with current PostgreSQL versions?

Please make a test whether it works. It might very well do.

In most cases, not only the approved PostgreSQL versions work fine with application software, but also all younger versions.

Backward compatibility is very high.

Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012
Вложения

Re: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
aditya desai
Дата:
Hi Jakobs,
Yes JIRA version itself is EOL.

Regards,
Aditya.

[...]

Re:Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Devendra Postgres
Дата:
Good Morning & Good Evening All,

 As Migration, I need to convert one table from Oracle (Source) to Postgres(Target)
The Oracle Table is created as below:

The oracle table is external table. What is external table : We will keep  files(CSV/ flat files) in drive, we will create a one physical table in oracle and when we select * from table, The oracle external table will go to the CSV/Flat file and it will pull the data from the table and will share results to the user.

FYI : it won’t store any physical data in the oracle database.

Requirement : we need similar kind of external concept in POSTGRESQL RDS. The data ( CSV/Flat) is storing in S3 Bucket.

Could some one share doc/ URL .

Thxs,
Deva

Re: Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
 As Migration, I need to convert one table from Oracle (Source) to Postgres(Target)
The Oracle Table is created as below:

The oracle table is external table. What is external table : We will keep  files(CSV/ flat files) in drive, we will create a one physical table in oracle and when we select * from table, The oracle external table will go to the CSV/Flat file and it will pull the data from the table and will share results to the user.

FYI : it won’t store any physical data in the oracle database.

Requirement : we need similar kind of external concept in POSTGRESQL RDS. The data ( CSV/Flat) is storing in S3 Bucket.

Could some one share doc/ URL .

Thxs,
Deva

Well, the same feature in Postgres is called file_fdw. The documentation is here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/file-fdw.html

Here is an example: https://dbaclass.com/article/how-to-access-csv-files-on-file-system-using-file_fdw_in_postgres/

Good luck!

PS:

I hate foreign tables in Oracle and I don't use them in Postgres. You cannot index them and about the only thing you can do with them is sequential scan. The problem with that is that the larger file gets, the more time it takes to process it. External tables in Oracle were meant as a shortcut for loading them, bypassing SQL*Loader. You are the first person in my 30 years long career of an Oracle architect/DBA/consultant who uses external tables.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Re: Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Devendra Postgres
Дата:
Thanks Mladen,

Getting this error, when tried to create extension in AWS RDS .

postgres=> create extension file_fdw;
ERROR:  Extension "file_fdw" is not supported by Amazon RDS
DETAIL:  Installing the extension "file_fdw" failed, because it is not on the list of extensions supported by Amazon RDS.
HINT:  Amazon RDS allows users with rds_superuser role to install supported extensions. See: SHOW rds.extensions;
postgres=>

[...]

Дата:
[...]

Deva, RDS is DaaS (Database as a disService). You don't get access to the underlying OS. There are certain admin functions which are described in the manual, but they don't give you access to anything else except pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf. You will have to load CSV files from your local psql using \copy command or a custom script, preferably using DBD::Pg. And remember, always use strict.
--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant
Tel: (347) 321-1217
https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com

Re: Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Devendra Postgres
Requirement: My CSV and flat files were there on the S3, and wanted to read the data which Iocated in S3 from the Postgres RDS table.

Note: Data shouldn’t load into the table(Postgres RDS).

Pls share any customized script/ doc what ever possible.

Thxs

[...]

Scott Ribe
> Requirement: My CSV and flat files were there on the S3, and wanted to read the data which Iocated in S3 from the
PostgresRDS table.

> Note: Data shouldn’t load into the table(Postgres RDS).
>
> Pls share any customized script/ doc what ever possible.

If you are going to use RDS, you will be limited to what Amazon provides--meaning you will have to load the data into a
table:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_PostgreSQL.S3Import.html

Re: Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Doug Reynolds
Дата:
AWS RDS for PostgreSQL has an extension to read/write from S3.

Contact your AWS TAM if you need help with the AWS specific module.

Requirement: My CSV and flat files were there on the S3, and wanted to read the data which Iocated in S3 from the Postgres RDS table.

Note: Data shouldn’t load into the table(Postgres RDS).

Pls share any customized script/ doc what ever possible.

If you are going to use RDS, you will be limited to what Amazon provides--meaning you will have to load the data into a table:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_PostgreSQL.S3Import.html

Re: Need doc for PostgreSQL RDS External Table

От
Devendra Postgres
Дата:
Thank you Doug, Will contact AWS Support.

Cheers,

AWS RDS for PostgreSQL has an extension to read/write from S3.

Contact your AWS TAM if you need help with the AWS specific module.

Requirement: My CSV and flat files were there on the S3, and wanted to read the data which Iocated in S3 from the Postgres RDS table.

Note: Data shouldn’t load into the table(Postgres RDS).

Pls share any customized script/ doc what ever possible.

If you are going to use RDS, you will be limited to what Amazon provides--meaning you will have to load the data into a table:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_PostgreSQL.S3Import.html

Re: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 13:39 +0530, aditya desai wrote:
> Yes JIRA version itself is EOL.

Then do yourself and your users a favor and upgrade to a recent
release of JIRA, which supports at least PostgreSQL v13.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Steps to Install archived Postgres 9.3 and 9.6

От
aditya desai
Дата:
That is the plan! But the current version of JIRA is 6.x and to upgrade it we have to do incremental Postgres upgrade.