Обсуждение: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/backup-dump.html

pg_dump ccbank | split -b 2048m --filter='gzip > $FILE.gz'

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 03:09:52PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/backup-dump.html
>
> pg_dump ccbank | split -b 2048m --filter='gzip > $FILE.gz'

Wow, odd we didn't have an example of using gzip and split together;
patch attached.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
James Doherty
Дата:
They key to my comment is splits —filter command which allows gzip each of the split files

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

James M Doherty President Revive Consulting LLC

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Jul 2021, at 01:46, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 03:09:52PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

>> pg_dump ccbank | split -b 2048m --filter='gzip > $FILE.gz'
>
> Wow, odd we didn't have an example of using gzip and split together;
> patch attached.

Maybe because the --filter option is only available in GNU split and not in
POSIX, and thus not on FreeBSD and macOS etc.  I'm not sure about what level of
compatibility we strive for in the examples though.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
James Doherty
Дата:
Good point.

Daniel Gustafsson               https://vmware.com/

--
James M Doherty President Revive Consulting LLC

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

Дата:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:27:20AM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2021, at 01:46, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 03:09:52PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>
> >> pg_dump ccbank | split -b 2048m --filter='gzip > $FILE.gz'
> >
> > Wow, odd we didn't have an example of using gzip and split together;
> > patch attached.
>
> Maybe because the --filter option is only available in GNU split and not in
> POSIX, and thus not on FreeBSD and macOS etc.  I'm not sure about what level of
> compatibility we strive for in the examples though.

OK, I can adjust it to say "GNU split" or just skip this addition.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Jul 2021, at 16:58, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> OK, I can adjust it to say "GNU split" or just skip this addition.

I don't have strong feelings either way, with a slight preference for writing
it as "GNU split" since it's still a good tip for a large amount of readers.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

Дата:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 05:23:20PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2021, at 16:58, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > OK, I can adjust it to say "GNU split" or just skip this addition.
>
> I don't have strong feelings either way, with a slight preference for writing
> it as "GNU split" since it's still a good tip for a large amount of readers.

Yes, I am on the fence for the same reasons but lean toward moving
forward for your same reasons.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Jul 2021, at 17:29, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 05:23:20PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 29 Jul 2021, at 16:58, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I can adjust it to say "GNU split" or just skip this addition.
>>
>> I don't have strong feelings either way, with a slight preference for writing
>> it as "GNU split" since it's still a good tip for a large amount of readers.
>
> Yes, I am on the fence for the same reasons but lean toward moving
> forward for your same reasons.

Making it two separate examples is a good idea, tipping the scale to a +1 from me.

+     If using <application>GNU split</application>, it is possible to
A small nitpick is that we write this as GNU <application>..</application>
elsewhere on this page (like GNU tar for example).

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

Дата:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 07:15:21PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> >> I don't have strong feelings either way, with a slight preference for writing
> >> it as "GNU split" since it's still a good tip for a large amount of readers.
> >
> > Yes, I am on the fence for the same reasons but lean toward moving
> > forward for your same reasons.
>
> Making it two separate examples is a good idea, tipping the scale to a +1 from me.
>
> +     If using <application>GNU split</application>, it is possible to
> A small nitpick is that we write this as GNU <application>..</application>
> elsewhere on this page (like GNU tar for example).

OK, updated patch attached.  FYI, I put the GNU inside the application
name in the first version because we specifically only want the GNU
version of that application, but I think taking it out for consistency
is fine.

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Jul 2021, at 21:10, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 07:15:21PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> Yes, I am on the fence for the same reasons but lean toward moving
>>> forward for your same reasons.
>>
>> Making it two separate examples is a good idea, tipping the scale to a +1 from me.
>>
>> +     If using <application>GNU split</application>, it is possible to
>> A small nitpick is that we write this as GNU <application>..</application>
>> elsewhere on this page (like GNU tar for example).
>
> OK, updated patch attached.  FYI, I put the GNU inside the application
> name in the first version because we specifically only want the GNU
> version of that application, but I think taking it out for consistency
> is fine.

LGTM

Re: Another pg_dump using split and gzip for large databases

Дата:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 03:10:34PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 07:15:21PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> > > Yes, I am on the fence for the same reasons but lean toward moving
> > > forward for your same reasons.
> >
> > Making it two separate examples is a good idea, tipping the scale to a +1 from me.
> >
> > +     If using <application>GNU split</application>, it is possible to
> > A small nitpick is that we write this as GNU <application>..</application>
> > elsewhere on this page (like GNU tar for example).
>
> OK, updated patch attached.  FYI, I put the GNU inside the application
> name in the first version because we specifically only want the GNU
> version of that application, but I think taking it out for consistency
> is fine.

Patch applied to all supported versions.