Обсуждение: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Daulat Ram

Hi Team,

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

Thanks,

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
amul sul

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

Yes.

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

Yes -- specify TABLESPACE option while creating that table.

Regards,
Amul

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
amul sul

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

Yes.

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

Yes -- specify TABLESPACE option while creating that table.

Regards,
Amul

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Please pick a single list to post to.  Performance seems like the unnecessary one here.

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

I fell as if I'm missing something in your question given the presence of the "CREATE TABLESPACE" SQL command and the related non-command documentation covered here:

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

There is no provision to assign two tablespaces to a single physical table.  To the benefit of those who don't use the other product you may wish to say exactly what you want to do instead of comparing it to something that many people likely have never used.

David J.

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Please pick a single list to post to.  Performance seems like the unnecessary one here.

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

I fell as if I'm missing something in your question given the presence of the "CREATE TABLESPACE" SQL command and the related non-command documentation covered here:

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

There is no provision to assign two tablespaces to a single physical table.  To the benefit of those who don't use the other product you may wish to say exactly what you want to do instead of comparing it to something that many people likely have never used.

David J.

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Ron
Дата:
Please pick a single list to post to.  Performance seems like the unnecessary one here.

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

I fell as if I'm missing something in your question given the presence of the "CREATE TABLESPACE" SQL command and the related non-command documentation covered here:

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

There is no provision to assign two tablespaces to a single physical table.  To the benefit of those who don't use the other product you may wish to say exactly what you want to do instead of comparing it to something that many people likely have never used.

In some RDBMSs, you can partition tables across multiple tablespaces, but they don't partition tables in anything close to the trigger-based method that Postgres does (at least in 9.6).

RE: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Daulat Ram

Hi Amul ,

Please share the examples how we can create no. of tablespaces for a single database and how we can use them.

As I know we can create database on tablespace

  1. CREATE TABLESPACE conn_tbs OWNER enterprisedb LOCATION '/mnt/pgdatatest/test/pgdata/conn_tbs';
  2. Create database test tablespace ‘conn_tbs';

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

Yes.

Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database in postgres?

Yes.

Can we have a table on different tablespace same as Oracle?

Yes -- specify TABLESPACE option while creating that table.

Regards,

Amul

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
amul sul

Please share the examples how we can create no. of tablespaces for a single database and how we can use them.

As I know we can create database on tablespace

  1. CREATE TABLESPACE conn_tbs OWNER enterprisedb LOCATION '/mnt/pgdatatest/test/pgdata/conn_tbs';
  2. Create database test tablespace ‘conn_tbs';
Maybe I have misunderstood your question; there is no option to specify more
than one tablespace for the database, but you can place the objects of that
database to different tablespaces (if options available for that object).
E.g. you can place a table in than conn_tbs tablespace.

If option is not specified then by default that object will be created
in conn_tbs.

Regards,
Amul

[...]

That will be great if you  share any doc where it’s mentioned that we can’t use multiple tablespace for a single database. I have to assist my Dev team regarding tablespaces.

Also , what are the differences between Oracle and Postgres Tablespacs?

Thanks,

[...]

To be honest I don't know anything about Oracle.

Regards,
Amul

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
amul sul

That will be great if you  share any doc where it’s mentioned that we can’t use multiple tablespace for a single database. I have to assist my Dev team regarding tablespaces.

Also , what are the differences between Oracle and Postgres Tablespacs?

To be honest I don't know anything about Oracle.

Regards,
Amul

Re: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 22:23, Daulat Ram <Daulat.Ram@exponential.com> wrote:
>
> That will be great if you  share any doc where it’s mentioned that we can’t use multiple tablespace for a single
database.I have to assist my Dev team regarding tablespaces.

A single PostgreSQL database can have any number of tablespaces.  Each table has to be in one specific tablespace,
althougha table can be in one tablespace and its indexes in a different one.

If a PostgreSQL table is partitioned, each partition can be in a different tablespace.

Oracle "style" tends to involve a lot of tablespaces in a database; this is much less commonly done in PostgreSQL.  In
general,you only need to create tablespace in a small number of circumstances:

(a) You need more space than the current database volume allows, and moving the database to a larger volume is
inconvenient;
(b) You have multiple volumes with significantly different access characteristics (like an HDD array and some SSDs),
andyou want to distribute database objects to take advantage of that (for example, put commonly-used large indexes on
theSSDs).

PostgreSQL tablespaces do increase the administrative overhead of the database, and shouldn't be created unless there
isa compelling need for them./

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

RE: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Daulat Ram
Дата:
You mean we can have only single default tablespace for a database but the database objects can be created on
different-2tablespaces?

Can you please share the Doc URL for your suggestions given in trail mail.

Please correct me.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

RE: Can we have multiple tablespaces with in a database.

От
Daulat Ram
Дата:
What are the differences between Oracle and Postgres tablespace.

Can we assign tablespace during Postgres schema creation . As I know in Oracle we assign the tablespace during
user/schemacreation.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM Daulat Ram <Daulat.Ram@exponential.com> wrote:
What are the differences between Oracle and Postgres tablespace.

I hope this[1] wiki page will help you.

Can we assign tablespace during Postgres schema creation . As I know in Oracle we assign the tablespace during user/schema creation.
AFAIK, there is no syntax to assign tablespace to a schema.

Regards,
Amul