Обсуждение: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
Hello,

I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running on
Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on tables,
view structure of a table.

pgAdmin3 is barely running and raising a lot of errors. pgAdmin4 is not in
"apt" list of applications and I really do not like that I have to run a
browser for it. There are a lot of alternatives for Windows based solution.
I cannot find something for Raspberry Pi.

It would be good to have a free tool though I am willing to pay a small fee
for a tool that will do my basics.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
"robert@redo2oo.ch"

Ertan

I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running on
Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on tables,
view structure of a table.

pgAdmin3 is barely running and raising a lot of errors. pgAdmin4 is not in
"apt" list of applications and I really do not like that I have to run a
browser for it. There are a lot of alternatives for Windows based solution.
I cannot find something for Raspberry Pi.

pgadmin4 is simple to setup

have you ever done anything with python?

Do you feel somehow comfortable with linux?

robert

--
Robert Rottermann CEO

031 333 10 20
robert@redo2oo.ch
Sickingerstrasse 3, 3014 Bern

https://Redo2oo.ch
Ihr Partner wenn es um ERP Lösungen geht.

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
robert rottermann
Дата:
Ertan

On 20.09.19 15:03, Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running on
> Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on tables,
> view structure of a table.
>
> pgAdmin3 is barely running and raising a lot of errors. pgAdmin4 is not in
> "apt" list of applications and I really do not like that I have to run a
> browser for it. There are a lot of alternatives for Windows based solution.
> I cannot find something for Raspberry Pi.

pgadmin4 is simple to setup

have you ever done anything with python?

Do you feel somehow comfortable with linux?

robert

> It would be good to have a free tool though I am willing to pay a small fee
> for a tool that will do my basics.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running
> on Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on
> tables, view structure of a table.

Why do you want a GUI for that?

On a resource constrained machine, use the command line client "psql".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Joshua Kramer
Дата:
There is a program called "pspg" that makes it easy to browse query results in a terminal... but it would be beneficial for you to learn the SQL syntax to do things such as create user.

I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running on
Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on tables,
view structure of a table.

pgAdmin3 is barely running and raising a lot of errors. pgAdmin4 is not in
"apt" list of applications and I really do not like that I have to run a
browser for it. There are a lot of alternatives for Windows based solution.
I cannot find something for Raspberry Pi.

It would be good to have a free tool though I am willing to pay a small fee
for a tool that will do my basics.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
Hello,

On 20 Sep 2019, at 18:21, robert@redo2oo.ch <robert@redo2oo.ch> wrote

pgadmin4 is simple to setup

have you ever done anything with python?

Not really.

Do you feel somehow comfortable with linux?

I am comfortable with Linux, yes.

Thanks.

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
> On 20 Sep 2019, at 17:37, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
>
> Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
>> I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running
>> on Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on
>> tables, view structure of a table.
>
> Why do you want a GUI for that?
For convenience.

> On a resource constrained machine, use the command line client "psql".
I have tables with relatively many columns. Anything printed on console won't fit it's boundaries and won't be easy to
read.I am using some gui application on it and most of the time find it easy to put two window next to each other to
seewhat I'm looking for.

Even it is resource constrained Raspberry Pi, it still can handle quite a good job for somewhat big jobs. Especially
latestversion 4 with high ram models.

Thanks.
Ertan

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Geoff Winkless
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 17:03, Ertan Küçükoğlu
<ertan.kucukoglu@1nar.com.tr> wrote:
> > On 20 Sep 2019, at 17:37, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> > On a resource constrained machine, use the command line client "psql".
> I have tables with relatively many columns. Anything printed on console won't fit it's boundaries and won't be easy
toread. I am using some gui application on it and most of the time find it easy to put two window next to each other to
seewhat I'm looking for.

Can heartily recommend the superb pspg. Use two putty windows if that helps.

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

Geoff

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
> On 20 Sep 2019, at 18:06, Joshua Kramer <joskra42.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> There is a program called "pspg" that makes it easy to browse query results in a terminal... but it would be
beneficialfor you to learn the SQL syntax to do things such as create user.
Hello,

I know basic sql syntax for running select queries, inserts, etc. For other tasks like create user I mostly open
documentationand check syntax. It's easy for me to mix different create user syntax between several dbms. I don't run
suchcommands frequently.

My main usage is to see select results.

Thanks.
Ertan

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
robert
Дата:
On 20/09/2019 17:57, Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On 20 Sep 2019, at 18:21, robert@redo2oo.ch <robert@redo2oo.ch> wrote
>>
>> pgadmin4 is simple to setup
>>
>> have you ever done anything with python?
>>
> Not really.
>>
>> Do you feel somehow comfortable with linux?
>>
> I am comfortable with Linux, yes.

ok,

I will write a description how to do it

hope to do it tomorow or (rather) sunday

robert

> Thanks.

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
robert
Дата:
On 20/09/2019 17:57, Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On 20 Sep 2019, at 18:21, robert@redo2oo.ch <robert@redo2oo.ch> wrote
>>
>> pgadmin4 is simple to setup
>>
>> have you ever done anything with python?
>>
> Not really.
>> Do you feel somehow comfortable with linux?
>>
> I am comfortable with Linux, yes.

ok,

I will write a description how to do it

hope to do it tomorow or (rather) sunday

robert

> Thanks.

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
"Anthony E. Greene"
Дата:
On 20-Sep-2019/19:09 +0300, Ertan Küçükoğlu <ertan.kucukoglu@1nar.com.tr> wrote:

>My main usage is to see select results.

I have used zenity and a shell script for this.

The script uses zenity to present a list of databases. The script assumes
you do not need credentials to connect to the database. You could specify
a connection string if username/password credentials are needed.

After selecting a database, a zenity text input dialog is displayed so
that you can enter a command. The script uses psql to run the command,
with the --html option to output to an HTML file. It then uses xdg-open to
launch your default HTML viewer with the file.

My browser opens a new tab every time, but I can live with that.

The script redisplays the zenity text input box after each command, until
you select the Cancel button, use the Escape key, or close the zenity
window.

It does not check syntax, and it does not report errors. It only provides
a quick way to run queries and get the results in a browser.

Let me know if you're interested.

--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:agreene@pobox.com>

Re: GUI tool for Raspberry Pi - PostgreSQL 11.5

От
Björn Lundin

20 sep. 2019 kl. 15:03 skrev Ertan Küçükoğlu <ertan.kucukoglu@1nar.com.tr>:

Hello,

I am looking for a tool other than pgAdmin3 for Raspberry Pi running on
Debian 10 Buster. I need basic things like create user, run SQL on tables,
view structure of a table.

I use pgadmin3 from Mac to query a database on my raspberry pi
Use a client-tool from another computer, or use psql on the pi

--
Björn Lundin
b.f.lundin <AT> gmail.com