Обсуждение: Mark a reloption as indexterm

Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

I'd like to propose to mark reloptions as indexterms, like GUC,
so that users can more easily search the pages describing
a reloption in document. Attached is the patch which does this.
Is this helpful? Thought?

Fujii Masao

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-10, Fujii Masao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose to mark reloptions as indexterms, like GUC,
> so that users can more easily search the pages describing
> a reloption in document. Attached is the patch which does this.
> Is this helpful? Thought?

+1 for adding index entries to all reloptions.  I'm not sure what you're
achieving by splitting the text for some existing index entries in two
and putting two words in the <secondary> that were part of the
<primary>, though.  I'd just put the whole text in <primary> (obviously
the option name must be the first word of that).

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:11 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Apr-10, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to propose to mark reloptions as indexterms, like GUC,
> > so that users can more easily search the pages describing
> > a reloption in document. Attached is the patch which does this.
> > Is this helpful? Thought?
>
> +1 for adding index entries to all reloptions.  I'm not sure what you're
> achieving by splitting the text for some existing index entries in two
> and putting two words in the <secondary> that were part of the
> <primary>, though.  I'd just put the whole text in <primary> (obviously
> the option name must be the first word of that).

Indeed. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Fujii Masao

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:33:45PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Indeed. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

On top of what Alvaro has mentioned, it seems to me that we should
make the difference between table-level configuration parameter and
index-level configuration parameters, and also add <primary> markups
to create_index.sgml.  If you take the example of fillfactor, it
applies to both indexes and tables, but with your patch you just
define "configuration parameter", and point to only CREATE TABLE.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-12, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:11 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-Apr-10, Fujii Masao wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to propose to mark reloptions as indexterms, like GUC,
> > > so that users can more easily search the pages describing
> > > a reloption in document. Attached is the patch which does this.
> > > Is this helpful? Thought?
> >
> > +1 for adding index entries to all reloptions.  I'm not sure what you're
> > achieving by splitting the text for some existing index entries in two
> > and putting two words in the <secondary> that were part of the
> > <primary>, though.  I'd just put the whole text in <primary> (obviously
> > the option name must be the first word of that).
>
> Indeed. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Hmm, actually, I now see you were originally proposing the words
"storage parameter" for the fillfactor index entries, but for v2 you
instead copied the "configuration parameter" words that was in some
other of the older entries.  I think "configuration parameter" is wrong
(we use that for GUCs, and it seems to me that it would be confusing to
mix both things), and we should use the words "storage parameter" for
all of these, don't you think?

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-12, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:33:45PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Indeed. Attached is the updated version of the patch.
>
> On top of what Alvaro has mentioned, it seems to me that we should
> make the difference between table-level configuration parameter and
> index-level configuration parameters, and also add <primary> markups
> to create_index.sgml.  If you take the example of fillfactor, it
> applies to both indexes and tables, but with your patch you just
> define "configuration parameter", and point to only CREATE TABLE.

Are you suggesting that it should show "index storage parameters" and
"table storage parameters"?  I'm not sure about that myself ...
particularly considering that certain parameters might apply to some
index AMs and not others.

BTW what about the index-specific options such as, say, BRIN's
pages_per_range?  I know other AMs have their own reloptions ...

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:57:32PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Are you suggesting that it should show "index storage parameters" and
> "table storage parameters"?  I'm not sure about that myself ...
> particularly considering that certain parameters might apply to some
> index AMs and not others.

Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting: putting all the
index-related parameters into an index bucket, without caring about
the AM involved.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:54 PM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Apr-12, Fujii Masao wrote:

> > > +1 for adding index entries to all reloptions.  I'm not sure what you're
> > > achieving by splitting the text for some existing index entries in two
> > > and putting two words in the <secondary> that were part of the
> > > <primary>, though.  I'd just put the whole text in <primary> (obviously
> > > the option name must be the first word of that).
> >
> > Indeed. Attached is the updated version of the patch.
>
> Hmm, actually, I now see you were originally proposing the words
> "storage parameter" for the fillfactor index entries, but for v2 you
> instead copied the "configuration parameter" words that was in some
> other of the older entries.  I think "configuration parameter" is wrong
> (we use that for GUCs, and it seems to me that it would be confusing to
> mix both things), and we should use the words "storage parameter" for
> all of these, don't you think?

So you are suggesting to use
reltoption and

If we do that, the following two lines are in the index.

    xxx configuration parameter, XXX
    xxx storage parameter, Storage Parameter

OTOH, originally I thought that the following style is smarter.

    xxx
        configuration parameter, XXX
        storage parameter, Storage Parameter

Fujii Masao

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 1:09 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:57:32PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Are you suggesting that it should show "index storage parameters" and
> > "table storage parameters"?  I'm not sure about that myself ...
> > particularly considering that certain parameters might apply to some
> > index AMs and not others.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting: putting all the
> index-related parameters into an index bucket, without caring about
> the AM involved.

+1

While reading the doc for index reloptins, I found that there is
no information about the type for each index reloption in the doc.
Probably it's worth adding that information, like the doc for table
reloptions have.

Fujii Masao

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-12, Fujii Masao wrote:

> OTOH, originally I thought that the following style is smarter.
>
>     xxx
>         configuration parameter, XXX
>         storage parameter, Storage Parameter

Ah.  Well, I like this style.  Let's do that.

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 1:30 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Apr-12, Fujii Masao wrote:
>

> > OTOH, originally I thought that the following style is smarter.
> >
> >     xxx
> >         configuration parameter, XXX
> >         storage parameter, Storage Parameter
>
> Ah.  Well, I like this style.  Let's do that.

So I used <secondary> tag again for the above style if both reloption
and guc with the same parameter name exist. Attached is the updated
version of the patch. This patch also marks index-reloption as indexterm.

Barring any objections, I will commit this patch.

Fujii Masao

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-16, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 1:30 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-Apr-12, Fujii Masao wrote:
> >

> > > OTOH, originally I thought that the following style is smarter.
> > >
> > >     xxx
> > >         configuration parameter, XXX
> > >         storage parameter, Storage Parameter
> >
> > Ah.  Well, I like this style.  Let's do that.
>
> So I used <secondary> tag again for the above style if both reloption
> and guc with the same parameter name exist. Attached is the updated
> version of the patch. This patch also marks index-reloption as indexterm.

I checked the HTML output.  For autovacuum it says "configuration
parameters" rather than "configuration parameter".  Other than that, it
looks good to me.  (I didn't check that all storage options were covered.)

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:35 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Apr-16, Fujii Masao wrote:

> > > Ah.  Well, I like this style.  Let's do that.
> >
> > So I used <secondary> tag again for the above style if both reloption
> > and guc with the same parameter name exist. Attached is the updated
> > version of the patch. This patch also marks index-reloption as indexterm.
>
> I checked the HTML output.

Thanks for the review!

> For autovacuum it says "configuration
> parameters" rather than "configuration parameter".  Other than that, it
> looks good to me.  (I didn't check that all storage options were covered.)

Good catch! Seems "configuration parameters" had been used for autovacuum
parameter since old version. I agree to replace it with "configuration
parameter"
for the sake of consistency. But I think that it's better to do that by
the separate patch because they are separate things.

Fujii Masao

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-16, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:35 AM Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > For autovacuum it says "configuration
> > parameters" rather than "configuration parameter".  Other than that, it
> > looks good to me.  (I didn't check that all storage options were covered.)
>
> Good catch! Seems "configuration parameters" had been used for autovacuum
> parameter since old version. I agree to replace it with "configuration
> parameter"
> for the sake of consistency. But I think that it's better to do that by
> the separate patch because they are separate things.

OK, no objection :-)

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:14:01AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> So I used <secondary> tag again for the above style if both reloption
> and guc with the same parameter name exist. Attached is the updated
> version of the patch. This patch also marks index-reloption as indexterm.
>
> Barring any objections, I will commit this patch.

Thanks Fujii-san.  This looks fine to me.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:15 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Apr-16, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:35 AM Alvaro Herrera
> > <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > > For autovacuum it says "configuration
> > > parameters" rather than "configuration parameter".  Other than that, it
> > > looks good to me.  (I didn't check that all storage options were covered.)
> >
> > Good catch! Seems "configuration parameters" had been used for autovacuum
> > parameter since old version. I agree to replace it with "configuration
> > parameter"
> > for the sake of consistency. But I think that it's better to do that by
> > the separate patch because they are separate things.
>
> OK, no objection :-)

While reading config.sgml again, I found that there are both
"autovacuum configuration parameters" and "autovacuum configuration
parameter", i.e., the plural and the singular. The latter indicates
the autovacuum GUC itself. OTOH, the former seems to indicate
all the autovacuum-related GUC parameters. So the plural form is used.

So now I'm thinking that we would not need to fix that plural form of
the index term.

Fujii Masao

Re: Mark a reloption as indexterm

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:14:01AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > So I used <secondary> tag again for the above style if both reloption
> > and guc with the same parameter name exist. Attached is the updated
> > version of the patch. This patch also marks index-reloption as indexterm.
> >
> > Barring any objections, I will commit this patch.
>
> Thanks Fujii-san.  This looks fine to me.

Thanks for the review! Committed!

Fujii Masao