Обсуждение: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

fix the spelling mistakes of comments

От
"Liu, Huailing"

Hi, everyone

When reading the codes in file src/backend/replication/syncrep.c,

I have found two spelling mistakes of comments.

First

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------

*

* syncrep.c

*

* Synchronous replication is new as of PostgreSQL 9.1.

*

* If requested, transaction commits wait until their commit LSN are

* acknowledged by the synchronous standbys.

*

* This module contains the code for waiting and release of backends.

* All code in this module executes on the primary. The core streaming

* replication transport remains within WALreceiver/WALsender modules.

I think the word marked should be 'releasing'.

Second

/*

* Walk the specified queue from head.  Set the state of any backends that

* need to be woken, remove them from the queue, and then wake them.

* Pass all = true to wake whole queue; otherwise, just wake up to

* the walsender's LSN.

*

* Must hold SyncRepLock.

*/

static int

SyncRepWakeQueue(bool all, int mode)

I think the word marked should be 'Wake'.

Attached patch fixed them.

--

以上

Liu Huailing

Liu Huailing

Development Department III

Software Division II

Nanjing Fujitsu Nanda Software Tech. Co., Ltd.(FNST)

ADDR.: No.6 Wenzhu Road, Software Avenue,

       Nanjing, 210012, China

TEL  : +86+25-86630566-8439

COINS: 7998-8439

FAX  : +86+25-83317685

MAIL : liuhuailing@cn.fujitsu.com

Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 6:55 AM Liu, Huailing <liuhuailing@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> * This module contains the code for waiting and release★ of backends.
> * All code in this module executes on the primary. The core streaming
> * replication transport remains within WALreceiver/WALsender modules.
>
> I think the word marked★ should be 'releasing'.

It could be changed, but I don't think it's really wrong as written.

> * Walk★ the specified queue from head.  Set the state of any backends that
>
> I think the word marked★ should be 'Wake'.

I think it's correct as written.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 07:57:02AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 6:55 AM Liu, Huailing <liuhuailing@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> * This module contains the code for waiting and release★ of backends.
>> * All code in this module executes on the primary. The core streaming
>> * replication transport remains within WALreceiver/WALsender modules.
>>
>> I think the word marked★ should be 'releasing'.
>
> It could be changed, but I don't think it's really wrong as written.

Indeed.

> > * Walk★ the specified queue from head.  Set the state of any backends that
> >
> > I think the word marked★ should be 'Wake'.
>
> I think it's correct as written.

Yes, it's correct as-is.  The code *walks* through the shmem queue to
*wake* some of its elements.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

Дата:

>>> I think the word marked★ should be 'releasing'.

>> It could be changed, but I don't think it's really wrong as written.

> Indeed.

Well, the problem is the lack of grammatical agreement between "waiting"
and "release".  It's poor English at least.

            regards, tom lane

Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:55 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Indeed.
>
> Well, the problem is the lack of grammatical agreement between "waiting"
> and "release".  It's poor English at least.

It's not correct for formal writing, but I think a lot of people would
find it acceptable in casual speech.  At any rate, the proposed change
to "This module contains the code for waiting and releasing of
backends" is no better, because it's still faulty parallelism.  You
can release a backend, but you can't "wait" a backend.  If you want to
make it really good English, you're going to have to change more than
one word.  (e.g. "This module contains the code to make backends wait
for replication, and to release them from waiting at the appropriate
time.")