Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: fix the spelling mistakes of comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:55 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Indeed.
>
> Well, the problem is the lack of grammatical agreement between "waiting"
> and "release".  It's poor English at least.

It's not correct for formal writing, but I think a lot of people would
find it acceptable in casual speech.  At any rate, the proposed change
to "This module contains the code for waiting and releasing of
backends" is no better, because it's still faulty parallelism.  You
can release a backend, but you can't "wait" a backend.  If you want to
make it really good English, you're going to have to change more than
one word.  (e.g. "This module contains the code to make backends wait
for replication, and to release them from waiting at the appropriate
time.")

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company