Обсуждение: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

От
Ken Tanzer
Дата:
Hi.  I recently installed PG 11.2 on Centos 7, following the excellent directions at https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/.

I wanted to enable data-checksums.  I at first tried appending --data-checksums to the doc-specified command:

/usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb --data-checksums

but that did not work.  After a glance at that script, I was able to do it with:

export PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS="--data-checksums"
/usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb

I'm just wondering if there is a more preferred way to do this, and/or any particular reason you can't pass options to initdb?  Also, since the checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be done at init time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that documentation page?

Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Re: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:

.

> I wanted to enable data-checksums.  I at first tried appending
> --data-checksums to the doc-specified command:
>
> /usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb --data-checksums
>
> but that did not work.  After a glance at that script, I was able to do
> it with:
>
> export PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS="--data-checksums"
> /usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb
>
> I'm just wondering if there is a more preferred way to do this, and/or
> any particular reason you can't pass options to initdb?  Also, since the

You can pass options to initdb:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-initdb.html

It seems you cannot pass them to the script postgresql-11-setup. That
would be a question for the packagers:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

Or you could just use the initdb program directly instead of going
through the script. The caveat being whether that would interfere with
what the script does?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 5:03 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 2/24/19 2:39 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> I'm just wondering if there is a more preferred way to do this,
Not seeing anything responsive to this question, I'll assume that PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS is the preferred method.

and/or
> any particular reason you can't pass options to initdb?  Also, since the

You can pass options to initdb:
Yes.  I guess I shoulda said "cant pass option to initdb via the setup script."

It seems you cannot pass them to the script postgresql-11-setup. That
would be a question for the packagers:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

> checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be done at init
> time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that
> documentation page?

OK.  Do the yum packagers also maintain the documentation for downloading and installing Postgresql?
(i.e., https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)  And are you saying this question/topic is inappropriate for this list?

Thanks,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system
By and for non-profits
(253) 245-3801

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Re: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 2/25/19 11:19 AM, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 5:03 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 2/24/19 2:39 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
>
>      > I'm just wondering if there is a more preferred way to do this,
>
> Not seeing anything responsive to this question, I'll assume that
> PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS is the preferred method.

 From looking at the script I would yes.

>     and/or
>      > any particular reason you can't pass options to initdb?  Also,
>     since the
>
>     You can pass options to initdb:
>
> Yes.  I guess I shoulda said "cant pass option to initdb via the setup
> script."

Technically using PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS does pass the initdb options to
the script:) If I am following correctly, what you want is something
like the below from pg_ctl, correct?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-pg-ctl.html

pg_ctl init[db] [-D datadir] [-s] [-o initdb-options]

>     It seems you cannot pass them to the script postgresql-11-setup. That
>     would be a question for the packagers:
>
>     https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php
>

>      > checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be done at init
>      > time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that
>      > documentation page?
>      >

> OK.  Do the yum packagers also maintain the documentation for
> downloading and installing Postgresql?
> (i.e., https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)  And are you
> saying this question/topic is inappropriate for this list?

The question is not inappropriate as the above is the community site and
this is the community list for general questions. It is just that the RH
family packages are maintained outside of the core source by the folks
listed at the contacts link. It is they who in the end will or will not
make any changes. Just a matter of circles within circles in the
'community'.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

От
Ken Tanzer
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 1:35 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
If I am following correctly, what you want is something
like the below from pg_ctl, correct?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-pg-ctl.html

pg_ctl init[db] [-D datadir] [-s] [-o initdb-options]
>      > checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be done at init
>      > time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that
>      > documentation page?
>      >

Something like that "-o" option would be nice.  But regardless of the solution, and given how simple & streamlined the install path/directions are, it seems to me to make sense to have some way of doing this that doesn't involve having to read through the setup script.  That could be a simpler option, or it could just be a footnote on the install page, next to the initdb command, something like:

Optionally initialize the database and enable automatic start:
  /usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb (*)
  systemctl enable postgresql-11
  systemctl start postgresql-11

(*) Some options for initializing the database can't be changed later (except by wiping out and reinitializing).  You can specify options by running export PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS="<your options>" before running this command.  See <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-initdb.html> for options.

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system
By and for non-profits
(253) 245-3801

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Re: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 2/25/19 2:05 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 1:35 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     If I am following correctly, what you want is something
>     like the below from pg_ctl, correct?:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-pg-ctl.html
>
>     pg_ctl init[db] [-D datadir] [-s] [-o initdb-options]

>      >      > checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be
>     done at init
>      >      > time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that
>      >      > documentation page?
>      >      >
>      >

> Something like that "-o" option would be nice.  But regardless of the
> solution, and given how simple & streamlined the install path/directions
> are, it seems to me to make sense to have some way of doing this that
> doesn't involve having to read through the setup script.  That could be

 From looking at the script running:

postgresql-11-setup --help

will get you that information.

> a simpler option, or it could just be a footnote on the install page,
> next to the initdb command, something like:

That would be nice, unfortunately I am not the person to get that done.
Your best bet on this would be to file an issue here:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

You will need a community account to do this.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com