Обсуждение: TODO wiki display issue

TODO wiki display issue

Дата:
Brendan, Alvaro and I have found two issues with the display of the
wiki.

We have noticed that the main bullet points are _out-dented_ in relation
to the main heading, while subsections have the bullets lined up with
the subsection headings.  Now, considering that the headings and
subheading are in the same column, it seems even more odd.  I was
wondering what can be done to improve this.

Second, because of the use of '[E]' and '[D]', there is a lot of space
between the bullet and the text associated with it, and I think it
reduces readability.  Can we have '[E]' and '[D]' on the _left_ of the
bullet so that there isn't as much space between the bullet and text, or
have the '[E]' and '[D]' appear after the text?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Brendan, Alvaro and I have found two issues with the display of the
> wiki.
>
> We have noticed that the main bullet points are _out-dented_ in relation
> to the main heading, while subsections have the bullets lined up with
> the subsection headings.  Now, considering that the headings and
> subheading are in the same column, it seems even more odd.  I was
> wondering what can be done to improve this.

I mentioned this to Bruce because I noticed that somebody edited to add
a new subsection, and neglected to add the {{TodoSubsection}} marker.
Since a week had passed and nobody had noticed, I thought that maybe
those things are a waste of time and space and we should just get rid of
them and the indentation they provide.

I created a copy on my user page with the markers removed:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/User:Alvherre

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> I mentioned this to Bruce because I noticed that somebody edited to add
> a new subsection, and neglected to add the {{TodoSubsection}} marker.
> Since a week had passed and nobody had noticed, I thought that maybe
> those things are a waste of time and space and we should just get rid of
> them and the indentation they provide.

Well, you may recall that my original port of the TODO into the wiki
didn't have indentation.  Bruce felt that indentation was important to
delineate the subsections, so we added it in.

So, unless Bruce has changed his mind about that I think the
indentation is here to stay.  Plus we've already put in the effort to
get it working. =)

I'm currently poking around in the templates to see if I can improve
the positioning of the list markers a bit.  I'll you guys know how it
goes.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently poking around in the templates to see if I can improve
> the positioning of the list markers a bit.  I'll you guys know how it
> goes.

Okay, I've got the [E] and [D] markers appearing to the left of the
checkboxes, and the checkboxes are aligned right so that they line up
down the page.

I actually quite like this change; I think it looks a lot nicer.  What
do you guys think?

Cheers,
BJ

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:

> Okay, I've got the [E] and [D] markers appearing to the left of the
> checkboxes, and the checkboxes are aligned right so that they line up
> down the page.
>
> I actually quite like this change; I think it looks a lot nicer.  What
> do you guys think?

Looks good to me.

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > I mentioned this to Bruce because I noticed that somebody edited to add
> > a new subsection, and neglected to add the {{TodoSubsection}} marker.
> > Since a week had passed and nobody had noticed, I thought that maybe
> > those things are a waste of time and space and we should just get rid of
> > them and the indentation they provide.
>
> Well, you may recall that my original port of the TODO into the wiki
> didn't have indentation.  Bruce felt that indentation was important to
> delineate the subsections, so we added it in.
>
> So, unless Bruce has changed his mind about that I think the
> indentation is here to stay.

Well, that's exactly my point.  I showed Bruce the other version of the
page and he wasn't sure he could tell the difference, so I'm not sure
that keeping it is all that important :-)

If people add new subsections and they don't notice that you need a
macro to fix the indentation, this clues that the indentation is not all
that useful.

> Plus we've already put in the effort to get it working. =)

That's a point, yes :-)

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Well, that's exactly my point.  I showed Bruce the other version of the
> page and he wasn't sure he could tell the difference, so I'm not sure
> that keeping it is all that important :-)
>
> If people add new subsections and they don't notice that you need a
> macro to fix the indentation, this clues that the indentation is not all
> that useful.

Actually I would read that as a clue that sometimes people are inattentive. =)

However, I do take your point.  If we wanted to ditch the indentation,
then some chunks of the template trickery involved in the Todo list
could be done away with.  I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but
I'm reluctant to go to yet more effort to un-hack it.

I'm also dreading the possibility that we go to the trouble to remove
the indentation, and a few days later somebody posts on the lists
saying "What happened to the indentation?  The new version sucks!"
etc.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: TODO wiki display issue

Дата:
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm also dreading the possibility that we go to the trouble to remove
> the indentation, and a few days later somebody posts on the lists
> saying "What happened to the indentation?  The new version sucks!"

I think it looks fine now (with your recent changes).  So let's declare
victory and go home ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO wiki display issue

Дата:
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm currently poking around in the templates to see if I can improve
> > the positioning of the list markers a bit.  I'll you guys know how it
> > goes.
> >

> Okay, I've got the [E] and [D] markers appearing to the left of the
> checkboxes, and the checkboxes are aligned right so that they line up
> down the page.
>
> I actually quite like this change; I think it looks a lot nicer.  What
> do you guys think?

Very nice!

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO wiki display issue

Дата:
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Well, that's exactly my point.  I showed Bruce the other version of the
> > page and he wasn't sure he could tell the difference, so I'm not sure
> > that keeping it is all that important :-)
> >
> > If people add new subsections and they don't notice that you need a
> > macro to fix the indentation, this clues that the indentation is not all
> > that useful.
> >

> Actually I would read that as a clue that sometimes people are inattentive. =)
>
> However, I do take your point.  If we wanted to ditch the indentation,
> then some chunks of the template trickery involved in the Todo list
> could be done away with.  I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but
> I'm reluctant to go to yet more effort to un-hack it.
>
> I'm also dreading the possibility that we go to the trouble to remove
> the indentation, and a few days later somebody posts on the lists
> saying "What happened to the indentation?  The new version sucks!"
> etc.

I am hesistant to remove the indentation because then the only
observable difference between sections and subsections would be the line
under the heading section, which doesn't seems significant enough.  I do
like the new layout myself.

Oh, one more thing --- in my browser, the subsections are bolder than
the main sections, and the same font size.  Is this expected?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: TODO wiki display issue

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Oh, one more thing --- in my browser, the subsections are bolder than
> the main sections, and the same font size.  Is this expected?

The way headings are displayed is controlled by the wiki stylesheets,
not by the article markup.  If you want to change the way the headings
look, you'll need to play with the CSS for the site.

(Personally, I don't have any issues with the existing styles.)

Cheers,
BJ