Обсуждение: projects.postgresql.net

projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
G'day all ...

   When we setup GBorg, one of the additions that we added to it was to
have the ability to link to a Project Web Page ... if I recall correctly,
it was DaveP that prompted it for the ODBC driver ...

   What I'd like to do is extend that one step further and provide a space
where projects can put their project pages ... basically, a ftp address
that they can login to and upload a "site" for <project>.postgresql.net

   Two reasons for postgresql.net ... a) its not being used right now and
b) it keeps it out of the postgresql.org name space which has alot in it
right now with all of the mirror stuff ...

   Gborg itself is "dry" ... no individualism to it, and limited in the
amount of information that can be provided, as well as how it can be
provided ... this would leave the development stuff (CVS, bug trackign,
mailing lists, etc) on gborg, while providing an area under which more
individualistic project pages could be developed, similar to how
sourceforge has things setup:

    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

    vs

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

   So we'd have a:

    http://jdbc.postgresql.net

    vs

    http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

   Thoughts?  Useless idea?  Bad idea?  Waste of time and energy?

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>    Two reasons for postgresql.net ... a) its not being used right now and
> b) it keeps it out of the postgresql.org name space which has alot in it
> right now with all of the mirror stuff ...

I'd go with projects.postgresql.org myself, because I think that's where
people would naturally look.  If you really want .net then please make
the other name redirect to .net ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: projects.postgresql.net

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> The reason I'm looking at using the .net, other then trying to keep the
> .org namespace from going super large, is that I can setup DNS as
> *.postgresql.net to point at the IP in question, and let Apache sort out
> the individual projects ... I'm not totally hung up on using .net, it just
> simplifies some things ...

Well, it simplifies things right now.  What about mirroring though?
When the .net area gets large enough to need to be split across multiple
servers, will there be a problem?

            regards, tom lane

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> >    Two reasons for postgresql.net ... a) its not being used right now and
> > b) it keeps it out of the postgresql.org name space which has alot in it
> > right now with all of the mirror stuff ...
>
> I'd go with projects.postgresql.org myself, because I think that's where
> people would naturally look.  If you really want .net then please make
> the other name redirect to .net ...

k, what other name?  for the existing sites (ie. odbc and jdbc), a
redirect would definitely be put into place ... but for sites that
currently do not have anything, why put the redirect?

The reason I'm looking at using the .net, other then trying to keep the
.org namespace from going super large, is that I can setup DNS as
*.postgresql.net to point at the IP in question, and let Apache sort out
the individual projects ... I'm not totally hung up on using .net, it just
simplifies some things ...

We can use .org, it just means that its more difficult to automate the
process of setting up a new project, since DNS would have to be modified
for each new one ...

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Dave Page"

Sounds good to me. Should probably check we have an adequate policy for
the use of the space...

Regards Dave.

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > The reason I'm looking at using the .net, other then trying to keep the
> > .org namespace from going super large, is that I can setup DNS as
> > *.postgresql.net to point at the IP in question, and let Apache sort out
> > the individual projects ... I'm not totally hung up on using .net, it just
> > simplifies some things ...
>
> Well, it simplifies things right now.  What about mirroring though?
> When the .net area gets large enough to need to be split across multiple
> servers, will there be a problem?

Good point ... so we need to DNS each project name individually ...

But, again in favor of doing the .net ... we're looking at migrating DNS
to bind-dlz ... the .org domain can't be done that way easily, do to the
combination of dynamic/static host names (all the mirrors are dynamically
generated) ... moving projects to .net would allow us to leave the dns
records in the database ...

Counter to that, of course, is that we could extend the mirror/dns script
to dump the projects at the same time ...

I'm flexible either way ... one benefit to .net is we could make
www.postgresql.net == gborg.postgresql.org, since someone mentioned
drop'ng the gborg name altogether ... again, gborg.postgresql.org would
have a redirect to www.postgresql.net ...

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> >    Thoughts?  Useless idea?  Bad idea?  Waste of time and energy?
>
> Sounds good to me. Should probably check we have an adequate policy for
> the use of the space...

Right off, must be a project on gborg ... with a final clause of 'policy
subject to change without notice' to allow us to add to it as required :)

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Dave Page"

Not to mention that we may have problems if someone registers a project
in a generic name that we later want to use for some reason (for
example, someone starts a search engine project and simply calls it
'search').

I would vote to keep it all in it's own domain.

On that note though Marc, any thoughts on automatically adding such
sites to the indexer?

Regards, Dave.

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Dave Page"

Is it likely to grow that much? I would expect most of the large files
to be in Gborg in the CVS repo or the downloads areas. How big has Gborg
got? Also, bear in mind that simple mirroring isn't a problem as 2
servers may be mirrored and both Ips listed against *.postgresql.net) -
splitting the sites across 2 or more servers would be more difficult.

Regards, Dave.

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
> > We can use .org, it just means that its more difficult to
> > automate the process of setting up a new project, since DNS
> > would have to be modified for each new one ...
>
> Not to mention that we may have problems if someone registers a project
> in a generic name that we later want to use for some reason (for
> example, someone starts a search engine project and simply calls it
> 'search').
>
> I would vote to keep it all in it's own domain.
>
> On that note though Marc, any thoughts on automatically adding such
> sites to the indexer?

select 'http://' || project_name || '.postgresql.org' from project;

on the 186_gborg database? :)

then again, how does gborg know there is an 'external web site'?  we'd
want to set that anyway, and then you could pull in all external project
web sites semi-automatically ... ?

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
> > > Well, it simplifies things right now.  What about mirroring though?
> > > When the .net area gets large enough to need to be split across
> > > multiple servers, will there be a problem?
> >
> > Good point ... so we need to DNS each project name individually ...
>
> Is it likely to grow that much? I would expect most of the large files
> to be in Gborg in the CVS repo or the downloads areas. How big has Gborg
> got? Also, bear in mind that simple mirroring isn't a problem as 2
> servers may be mirrored and both Ips listed against *.postgresql.net) -
> splitting the sites across 2 or more servers would be more difficult.

actually, not so much ... if we set it up so that sites
[a-m]*.postgresql.net point to IP A, and [n-z]*.postgresql.net point to
IP B ...

But I do agree that the site would have to be quite large to become a
problem ... I can see gborg needing to be spread across two servers first,
since that is where the brunt of the work will be done ...

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Dave Page"

Good point. If Gborg lists a site name, we index that. We could just
have that field default to the right URL, but remain switched off until
the user decides to enable it.

/D

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Dave Page"

Just out of interest, how big is it now? I imagine that splitting that
would be a job and a half :-(

/D

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
> > But I do agree that the site would have to be quite large to
> > become a problem ... I can see gborg needing to be spread
> > across two servers first, since that is where the brunt of
> > the work will be done ...
>
> Just out of interest, how big is it now? I imagine that splitting that
> would be a job and a half :-(

161 project CVSROOTs, taking up ~288Meg of space
ftp/pub is taking up about the same

not too large right now ...

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>    So we'd have a:
>
>     http://jdbc.postgresql.net
>
>     vs
>
>     http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

How exactly would you do this mapping -- "jdbc" vs. "pgjdbc" -- in
general?

Also, the subject line refers to "projects.postgresql.net".  Maybe that
would be a better title than "gborg".  I'm not too excited about the
".net" yet, though.

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >    So we'd have a:
> >
> >     http://jdbc.postgresql.net
> >
> >     vs
> >
> >     http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php
>
> How exactly would you do this mapping -- "jdbc" vs. "pgjdbc" -- in
> general?

it would be a redirect ... jdbc.postgresql.org would redirect to
pgjdbc.postgresql.net ...

> Also, the subject line refers to "projects.postgresql.net".  Maybe that
> would be a better title than "gborg".

that was kinda what I was thinking also ...

----

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> it would be a redirect ... jdbc.postgresql.org would redirect to
> pgjdbc.postgresql.net ...

Wouldn't it be easier to rename the project while it is young?

Re: projects.postgresql.net

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > it would be a redirect ... jdbc.postgresql.org would redirect to
> > pgjdbc.postgresql.net ...
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to rename the project while it is young?

rename it to what?  if you are suggesting to just jdbc, no ...

----