Обсуждение: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
"Gerhard Dieringer"
Дата:
>>> Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel@www.cdfd.org.in> 16.10.2000  20.11 Uhr >>>
> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem in mapping between two tables containing unique
> entries
>
> T1        T2
> _________    ________
> |  x1    |    |  y1    |
> |  x2    |    |  y2    |
> |  x3    |    |  y3    |
> ---------    ---------
>
> x(i) points to 1 or more entries in T2. y(i) points to one or more entries
> in T1. How do I store this mapping? I'd cannot use an array due to size
> restrictions and inability to extract data easily for furthur processing.
>
> I don't want to put everything into a single table and repeat values in
> the 2nd column since these are really huge tables and I cannot increase
> overhead by increasing data redundancy.
>
> Is there some way to do something about this?
>
> \Indraneel
>
> /************************************************************************.
> # Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@123india.com  #
> # Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
> # Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
> # Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #
> `************************************************************************/

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Is it right, that the x(i) are different values
of an column x in table T1 and the y(i) are different values of an column y in table T2?
And you want to have a n:m relation between the two tables?
Then you need a third table T12 with columns x and y, that contains one row for each
mapping of a x(i) with a y(j).

I hope this helps.

Gerhard

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
Indraneel Majumdar
Дата:
Yeah you understand the problem perfectly. The third table will definitely
contain unique entries if you take both x and y simultaneously. I wanted
some way of mapping where I would not need to repeat individual values of
x and y. I am not from a maths background and have absolutely no idea of
database design.

Is it possible to map the columns without repeating values?

\Indraneel

/************************************************************************.
# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@123india.com  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #
`************************************************************************/

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
"Gerhard Dieringer"
Дата:
>>> Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel@www.cdfd.org.in> 16.10.2000  22.13 Uhr >>>
> Yeah you understand the problem perfectly. The third table will definitely
> contain unique entries if you take both x and y simultaneously. I wanted
> some way of mapping where I would not need to repeat individual values of
> x and y. I am not from a maths background and have absolutely no idea of
> database design.
>
> Is it possible to map the columns without repeating values?
>
> \Indraneel

I don't know what type of data your columns x and y contain. If they are,
for example, of type text and contain long strings, then it would be better
to add an integer id column in each tables T1 and T2: x_id and y_id and
use these ids in the table T12.

Then you only have to repeat the (short) numeric vales in T12. But I think there
is no way to totaly avoid any repetition.

--------------
Gerhard

JDBC Performance

От
Craig May
Дата:
Hi,

I've been using the postgresql.Driver with JDBC for some time.

Initially, I was passing Statement objects through functions to each of the
Classes.

This was working beautifully.

I have since adapted my application to support MS SQL Server.

SQL Server doesn't allow a statement object to perform multiple queries, so i
have changed the application to create additional Connections.

This has reduced it's performance around 400%.

I'm using the driver contained with Postgresql 7.1

Does anyone have ideas on increasing performance with multiple connections?

Kind Regards,
Craig May

Enth Dimension
http://www.enthdimension.com.au

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
Indraneel Majumdar
Дата:
Thanks, I too came to the same conclusion (due to lack of
persistence/patience).

Thanks,

/************************************************************************.
# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@123india.com  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #
`************************************************************************/

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
Indraneel Majumdar
Дата:
Sorry for splitting mails. Is there some way of using the oid of each
row to do the mapping instead of creating two more columns of integers?
The third table can then be like this:

create table T3(T1    oid,T2    oid
);

also how can I find out the oid of a particular row? and how can I use
this oid in a select statement?

/************************************************************************.
# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@123india.com  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #
`************************************************************************/

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Mr. Majumdar,

> Sorry for splitting mails. Is there some way of using the oid of each
> row to do the mapping instead of creating two more columns of integers?
> The third table can then be like this:
>
> create table T3(
>         T1      oid,
>         T2      oid
> );

Please reference two things:

1. Look in the list archives for the last 4 weeks and you will read a
long discussion on the risks/limitations of using an OID as the primary
key on very large tables. (Subject: Object-Relational Database Design).

2. For how to use OIDs, please look in Bruce Momjian's excellent PGSQL
book-in-progress, available on the Postgresql.org website. (Chapter 7, I
believe).
                -Josh Berkus

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
KuroiNeko
Дата:
> > I am facing a problem in mapping between two tables containing unique
> > entries
> >
> Then you need a  third table T12 with columns x and  y, that contains one
> row for each
> mapping of a x(i) with a y(j).
That's it.  Normalize it. Relation T12  may also require the  third field,
`direction', to specify whether  this is T1 -> T2 or T2  -> T1. In general,
it'd be much better to re-design data layout.

--
Well I tried to be meek And I have tried to be mildBut I spat like a woman And I sulked like a childI have lived behind
thewalls That have made me aloneStriven for peace Which I never have known

Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms, The Man's Too Strong (Knopfler)

Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

От
Indraneel Majumdar
Дата:
Hi,

Thank you very much. Now I know to use serial and not oid. I hope I got
the correct message.

Thanks,
Indraneel

/************************************************************************.
# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@123india.com  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #
`************************************************************************/

Re: JDBC Performance

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Mr. May,
For discussions of JDBC, please subscribe to the pgsql-interfaces
list.  You will find many JDBC users on that list.
                -Josh Berkus

P.S. PGSQL folks, is there any way we can clarify this on the web page?
The JDBC users seem to keep ending up on this list.

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small
businesses      fax  436-0137   and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078                               San
Francisco

Re: JDBC Performance

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Mr. May,
>
>     For discussions of JDBC, please subscribe to the pgsql-interfaces
> list.  You will find many JDBC users on that list.
>
>                     -Josh Berkus
>
> P.S. PGSQL folks, is there any way we can clarify this on the web page?
> The JDBC users seem to keep ending up on this list.

I think it needs to be mentioned somewhere on the postgresql site. I've
had this on my site for the last 3 years ;-)

Also, I only get the sql & general lists here at home (retep.org.uk), but
get interfaces at work as well so I can sometimes answer it faster if it's
posted to interfaces.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk