Обсуждение: PostgreSQL with Phorum

PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Brian Moon"
Дата:
For those that do not know what Phorum is, it is a message board written in
PHP that uses a database.  sure there are lots, but Phorum was the first.
It was also the first to support PostgreSQL way back when.

Anyhow, to this point, Phorum has simply worked with PostgreSQL.  I want to
make it as good (or better) as it does with MySQL.  I am a MySQL developer.
That is what I do for a living.  I know the arguments.  Please don't turn
this into a MySQL/PostgreSQL thing.

The thing is I don't know squat about the powerful parts of PostgreSQL.  I
am currently working on Phorum version 5.  This version features a
completely abstracted database layer.  Not just abstracted function calls
like PEAR of PHPLIB.  All SQL and function calls are contained in a set of
functions that the other Phorum files call.  This means that each database
system can be utilized to the fullest to make it work as best it can on that
system.

Now, I can make PostgreSQL work.  But, I was hoping to get a REAL PostgreSQL
developer to help me out on this.  Perhaps there is someone who has used or
seen Phorum.  I know people are using it with PostgreSQL.

Thanks,

Brian Moon
Phorum Dev Team

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Brian,

This sounds interesting.  If you want to really learn to get the most
out of PostgreSQL, you're probably best to join the PostgreSQL "Hackers"
mailing list.

If you've learnt not to deliberately leave backdoors in your code so you
can walk into sites', as you used to do with Phorum's code, then you
might find some people here willing to help.

Just checked the Phorum website and noticed you've removed the original
advisories, from a few years ago.

Hmmmmm.... don't be surprised if people here watch you *very carefully*,
due to your prior history of having abused people who placed trust in
you.

Justin Clift

Brian Moon wrote:

> For those that do not know what Phorum is, it is a message board written in
> PHP that uses a database.  sure there are lots, but Phorum was the first.
> It was also the first to support PostgreSQL way back when.
>
> Anyhow, to this point, Phorum has simply worked with PostgreSQL.  I want to
> make it as good (or better) as it does with MySQL.  I am a MySQL developer.
> That is what I do for a living.  I know the arguments.  Please don't turn
> this into a MySQL/PostgreSQL thing.
>
> The thing is I don't know squat about the powerful parts of PostgreSQL.  I
> am currently working on Phorum version 5.  This version features a
> completely abstracted database layer.  Not just abstracted function calls
> like PEAR of PHPLIB.  All SQL and function calls are contained in a set of
> functions that the other Phorum files call.  This means that each database
> system can be utilized to the fullest to make it work as best it can on that
> system.
>
> Now, I can make PostgreSQL work.  But, I was hoping to get a REAL PostgreSQL
> developer to help me out on this.  Perhaps there is someone who has used or
> seen Phorum.  I know people are using it with PostgreSQL.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Moon
> Phorum Dev Team

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
I don't have much time, but I'm happy to look at schemas and index
optimisation for you, etc.  Has Phorum removed its silly requirement of
creating two whole entire tables per forum yet?

Chris

> For those that do not know what Phorum is, it is a message board written
in
> PHP that uses a database.  sure there are lots, but Phorum was the first.
> It was also the first to support PostgreSQL way back when.
>
> Anyhow, to this point, Phorum has simply worked with PostgreSQL.  I want
> make it as good (or better) as it does with MySQL.  I am a MySQL
developer.
> That is what I do for a living.  I know the arguments.  Please don't turn
> this into a MySQL/PostgreSQL thing.
>
> The thing is I don't know squat about the powerful parts of PostgreSQL.  I
> am currently working on Phorum version 5.  This version features a
> completely abstracted database layer.  Not just abstracted function calls
> like PEAR of PHPLIB.  All SQL and function calls are contained in a set of
> functions that the other Phorum files call.  This means that each database
> system can be utilized to the fullest to make it work as best it can on
that
> system.
>
> Now, I can make PostgreSQL work.  But, I was hoping to get a REAL
PostgreSQL
> developer to help me out on this.  Perhaps there is someone who has used
or
> seen Phorum.  I know people are using it with PostgreSQL.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Moon
> Phorum Dev Team

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Brian Moon"
Дата:
| Hi Brian,
|
| This sounds interesting.  If you want to really learn to get the most
| out of PostgreSQL, you're probably best to join the PostgreSQL "Hackers"
| mailing list.

Is this an unsupported mailing list?  I don't see it on the PostgreSQL web
site.

| If you've learnt not to deliberately leave backdoors in your code so you
| can walk into sites', as you used to do with Phorum's code, then you
| might find some people here willing to help.

Well, it was never deliberate.  We did have some issues recently that would
allow code to be run on the server, however, if one followed the
installation instructions and followed what we recommended to secure your
files, there was no danger to you.  We also got a fix out within a day of
finding out about it.  That said, we didn't follow our own advice and got
hacked.

| Just checked the Phorum website and noticed you've removed the original
| advisories, from a few years ago.
|
| Hmmmmm.... don't be surprised if people here watch you *very carefully*,
| due to your prior history of having abused people who placed trust in
| you.

Are you speaking of personal experience?  Not sure what you are talking
about from a few years ago.  Phorum is only 3.5 years old.  We did have some
things late 2000.  Those were addressed and fixed.  Software has bugs both
big and little.

Thanks,

Brian.
Phorum Dev Team

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Brian,

Brian Moon wrote:

> | Hi Brian,
> |
> | This sounds interesting.  If you want to really learn to get the most
> | out of PostgreSQL, you're probably best to join the PostgreSQL "Hackers"
> | mailing list.
>
> Is this an unsupported mailing list?  I don't see it on the PostgreSQL web
> site.

http://developer.postgresql.org/maillist.php

This is a PostgreSQL 'development' mailing list, so generally the most
experienced PostgreSQL coders hang out here.  If you have the time to
watch what goes on and stuff, you'll gain a lot of PostgreSQL
understanding.

> | If you've learnt not to deliberately leave backdoors in your code so you
> | can walk into sites', as you used to do with Phorum's code, then you
> | might find some people here willing to help.
>
> Well, it was never deliberate.  We did have some issues recently that would
> allow code to be run on the server, however, if one followed the
> installation instructions and followed what we recommended to secure your
> files, there was no danger to you.  We also got a fix out within a day of
> finding out about it.  That said, we didn't follow our own advice and got
> hacked.

No, I was referring to the 'boogieman' backdoor you left in Phorum,
which Jfs then found a few years ago.  The one which you then tried to
suppress all of your users from finding out about, until someone pasted
info about it all over the Phorum forums thereby forcing you to come
clean and remove the backdoor from your code.

http://www.cgisecurity.com/archive/php/phorum.txt

> Thanks,

You're welcome.

Justin

> Brian.
> Phorum Dev Team

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Brian Moon"
Дата:
| No, I was referring to the 'boogieman' backdoor you left in Phorum,
| which Jfs then found a few years ago.  The one which you then tried to
| suppress all of your users from finding out about, until someone pasted
| info about it all over the Phorum forums thereby forcing you to come
| clean and remove the backdoor from your code.

Whoa, there is a blast from the past.  I really figured people would change
that if they used the script.  I had a big comment next to it that said
"backdoor user name if all else fails".  I was naive, what can I say.  I
promise I was not trying to leave backdoors open for me to get into people's
sites.  If it was compiled code I could see you being suspicious.  You had
to read pas that to read how to use the script.  I guess boogieman was a bad
choice for the default too as it sounds evil.  What does not kill us makes
us stronger.

| http://www.cgisecurity.com/archive/php/phorum.txt

Yeah, I was a little ticked off at this guy for not notifying us before
publicly posting these.  That seems to be a problem for some people.  I
guess they are afraid that if they don't go public first they won't get the
credit.  We did fix all those issues within a day of finding out about them.
If we had known before the world, we could have saved some people some
possible problems.

Thanks,

Brian.
Phorum Dev Team

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Brian Moon wrote:

<snip>
> | http://www.cgisecurity.com/archive/php/phorum.txt
>
> Yeah, I was a little ticked off at this guy for not notifying us before
> publicly posting these.  That seems to be a problem for some people.  I
> guess they are afraid that if they don't go public first they won't get the
> credit.  We did fix all those issues within a day of finding out about them.
> If we had known before the world, we could have saved some people some
> possible problems.

Oh Wow.

They just announced it to the world without letting you guys even know
at all?

That's *horrible*.

Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Brian.
> Phorum Dev Team

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Brian Moon"
Дата:
| Hi Brian,
|
| This sounds interesting.  If you want to really learn to get the most
| out of PostgreSQL, you're probably best to join the PostgreSQL "Hackers"
| mailing list.

Is this an unsupported mailing list?  I don't see it on the PostgreSQL web
site.

| If you've learnt not to deliberately leave backdoors in your code so you
| can walk into sites', as you used to do with Phorum's code, then you
| might find some people here willing to help.

Well, it was never deliberate.  We did have some issues recently that would
allow code to be run on the server, however, if one followed the
installation instructions and followed what we recommended to secure your
files, there was no danger to you.  We also got a fix out within a day of
finding out about it.  That said, we didn't follow our own advice and got
hacked.

| Just checked the Phorum website and noticed you've removed the original
| advisories, from a few years ago.
|
| Hmmmmm.... don't be surprised if people here watch you *very carefully*,
| due to your prior history of having abused people who placed trust in
| you.

Are you speaking of personal experience?  Not sure what you are talking
about from a few years ago.  Phorum is only 3.5 years old.  We did have some
things late 2000.  Those were addressed and fixed.  Software has bugs both
big and little.

Thanks,

Brian.
Phorum Dev Team

Re: PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
"Brian Moon"
Дата:
| I don't have much time, but I'm happy to look at schemas and index
| optimisation for you, etc.  Has Phorum removed its silly requirement of
| creating two whole entire tables per forum yet?

With Phorum 5 we have changed that.  We had our reasons at the time for
doing that.  However, things have changed and we are wiser and the tools are
better.  This kind of gets back to my point.  For small to moderately sized
Phorums on slower machines, having seperate tables is a good thing in MySQL.
We now know that large Phorums suffer in this case worse than the smaller
ones would suffer from one table.  However, this could very well have never
been a good thing for PostgreSQL.  I don't really know.  At the time I
ported Phorum over to PostgreSQL, the docs were not nearly as good as they
are now.  There was nothing about optimizing your tables for speed.

This is the reason I am coming here.  I want Phorum 5 to run as fast as it
can on PostgreSQL.

Thanks,

Brian.
Phorum Dev Team

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL with Phorum

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Sunday 18 August 2002 01:36 am, Justin Clift wrote:
> Brian Moon wrote:
> > Yeah, I was a little ticked off at this guy for not notifying us before
> > publicly posting these.  That seems to be a problem for some people.  I
> > guess they are afraid that if they don't go public first they won't get
> > the credit.  We did fix all those issues within a day of finding out
> > about them. If we had known before the world, we could have saved some
> > people some possible problems.

> They just announced it to the world without letting you guys even know
> at all?

Reading BugTraq is more than a little educational in how people will do
anything to get first credit on finding security holes.  The number of holes
announced without prior warning to the authors is quite large, both in raw
numbers and in percentages.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio