Обсуждение: File system choice for Red Hat systems

File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres. I was going to
recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems that xfs is
supported as a technology preview "layered product" for 5.5. This
apparently means that the xfs tools are only available via special
channels.

What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing filesystem?

regards

Mark

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

Дата:
Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> writes:
> I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres. I was going to
> recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems that xfs is
> supported as a technology preview "layered product" for 5.5. This
> apparently means that the xfs tools are only available via special
> channels.

It also means that it's probably not production grade, anyway.

> What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing filesystem?

What's your time horizon?  RHEL6 will have full support for xfs.
On RHEL5 I really wouldn't consider anything except ext3.

            regards, tom lane

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 02/06/10 15:26, Tom Lane wrote:

> What's your time horizon?  RHEL6 will have full support for xfs.
> On RHEL5 I really wouldn't consider anything except ext3.

Yeah, RHEL6 seems like the version we would prefer - unfortunately time
frame is the next few days. Awesome - thanks for the quick reply!

regards

Mark

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 15:06 +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing
> filesystem?

ext2 (xlogs) and ext3 (data).

For xfs, you may want to read this:

http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/en/2010/04/the-return-of-xfs-on-linux.html

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 02/06/10 17:17, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> For xfs, you may want to read this:
>
> http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/en/2010/04/the-return-of-xfs-on-linux.html

Thanks - yes RHEL6 is the version we would have liked to use I suspect!

Regards

Mark

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Yeah, RHEL6 seems like the version we would prefer - unfortunately
> time frame is the next few days. Awesome - thanks for the quick reply!

The RHEL6 beta is out, I'm running it, and I expect a straightforward
upgrade path to the final release--I think I can just keep grabbing
updated packages.  Depending on how long your transition from test into
production is, you might want to consider a similar move, putting RHEL6
onto something right now in nearly complete form and just slip in
updates as it moves toward the official release.  It's already better
than RHEL5 at many things, even as a beta.  The 2.6.18 kernel in
particular is looking painfully old nowadays.

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Tuesday 01 June 2010, Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>
wrote:
> I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres. I was going to
> recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems that xfs is
> supported as a technology preview "layered product" for 5.5. This
> apparently means that the xfs tools are only available via special
> channels.
>
> What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing filesystem?

I've run PostgreSQL on XFS on CentOS for years. It works well. Make sure you
have a good battery-backed RAID controller under it (true for all
filesystems).

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Wales Wang
Дата:
you can try Scientific Linux 5.x,it plus XFS and some other soft for HPC based on CentOS.
It had XFS for years

> > I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres.
> I was going to
> > recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems
> that xfs is
> > supported as a technology preview "layered product"
> for 5.5. This
> > apparently means that the xfs tools are only available
> via special
> > channels.
> >
> > What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good
> performing filesystem?
> >

> I've run PostgreSQL on XFS on CentOS for years. It works
> well. Make sure you
> have a good battery-backed RAID controller under it (true
> for all
> filesystems).
>
> --
> "No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode.
> We tried but that
> damn monkey was just too fast."

Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 03/06/10 02:53, Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 June 2010, Mark Kirkwood<mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres. I was going to
>> recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems that xfs is
>> supported as a technology preview "layered product" for 5.5. This
>> apparently means that the xfs tools are only available via special
>> channels.
>>
>> What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing filesystem?
>>

> I've run PostgreSQL on XFS on CentOS for years. It works well. Make sure you
> have a good battery-backed RAID controller under it (true for all
> filesystems).

Thanks - yes, left to myself I would consider using Centos instead.
However os choice is prescribed in this case I believe.

Cheers

Mark