Обсуждение: trouble with a join on OS X

trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
I am trying to do fairly simple joins on climate databases that
should return ~ 7 million rows of data. However, I'm getting an error
message on a OS X (10.4 tiger server) machine that seems to imply
that I am running out of memory. The errors are:

psql(15811) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
psql(15811) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
psql(15811) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

The query should return all data from all climate stations. In order
to test the query I tried narrowing the SELECT statement to a return
data for a single station. This query worked (ie did not cause the
malloc errors) and returned the expected 200,000 or so rows. Since
this worked I don't think there is a problem with the join syntax.

This a a dual G5 box with 6 gigs of ram running postgresql 8.1. I
have not tired altering kernel resources (as described in http://
www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SHARED-
MEMORY-PARAMETERS), or compiling for 64 bit. I'm just not sure what
to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Kirk

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:52:48AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
> psql(15811) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
> psql(15811) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
> psql(15811) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

It sounds like you are out of memory. Have you tried reducing work_mem?
Actually, what does your postgresql.conf look like with regard to memory
settings?

> This a a dual G5 box with 6 gigs of ram running postgresql 8.1. I
> have not tired altering kernel resources (as described in http://
> www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SHARED-
> MEMORY-PARAMETERS), or compiling for 64 bit. I'm just not sure what
> to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Compiling for 64 bit might very well help you, but it sounds odd to use
several gigabytes of RAM for a sort.

Could you post EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the query with only one row, as well
as your table schema?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Kirk Wythers wrote:
> I am trying to do fairly simple joins on climate databases that should
> return ~ 7 million rows of data. However, I'm getting an error message
> on a OS X (10.4 tiger server) machine that seems to imply that I am
> running out of memory. The errors are:
>
> psql(15811) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
Is this actually in psql - the client code rather than the backend?

Could it be that its allocating memory for its 7million result rows and
running out of space for your user account?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Gábriel Ákos
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Kirk Wythers wrote:
>> I am trying to do fairly simple joins on climate databases that should
>> return ~ 7 million rows of data. However, I'm getting an error message
>> on a OS X (10.4 tiger server) machine that seems to imply that I am
>> running out of memory. The errors are:
>>
>> psql(15811) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
> Is this actually in psql - the client code rather than the backend?
>
> Could it be that its allocating memory for its 7million result rows and
> running out of space for your user account?

Hi,

If you look at the message carefully, it looks like (for me) that the
client is running out of memory. Can't allocate that 8,4MB :)

Regards,
Akos

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1briel_=C1kos?= <akos.gabriel@i-logic.hu> writes:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>> Kirk Wythers wrote:
>>> I am trying to do fairly simple joins on climate databases that should
>>> return ~ 7 million rows of data.

> If you look at the message carefully, it looks like (for me) that the
> client is running out of memory. Can't allocate that 8,4MB :)

Right, the join result doesn't fit in the client's memory limit.
This is not too surprising, as the out-of-the-box ulimit settings
on Tiger appear to be

$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 6144
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 266
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
$

6 meg of memory isn't gonna hold 7 million rows ... so either raise
"ulimit -d" (quite a lot) or else use a cursor to fetch the result
in segments.

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
Thanks for the reply Steiner,

On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:52:48AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
>> psql(15811) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error
>> code=3)
>> psql(15811) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
>> psql(15811) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
>
> It sounds like you are out of memory. Have you tried reducing
> work_mem?
> Actually, what does your postgresql.conf look like with regard to
> memory
> settings?

I have not altered postgresql.conf. I assume these are the defaults:

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 300                    # min 16 or
max_connections*2, 8KB each
#temp_buffers = 1000                    # min 100, 8KB each
#max_prepared_transactions = 5          # can be 0 or more
# note: increasing max_prepared_transactions costs ~600 bytes of
shared memory
# per transaction slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).
#work_mem = 1024                        # min 64, size in KB
#maintenance_work_mem = 16384           # min 1024, size in KB
#max_stack_depth = 2048                 # min 100, size in KB

What about altering the sysctl values in /etc/rc to:
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=167772160
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=65536

RIght now they are:
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304 kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32 kern.s
ysv.shmseg=8 kern.sysv.shmall=1024

>> This a a dual G5 box with 6 gigs of ram running postgresql 8.1. I
>> have not tired altering kernel resources (as described in http://
>> www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SHARED-
>> MEMORY-PARAMETERS), or compiling for 64 bit. I'm just not sure what
>> to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Compiling for 64 bit might very well help you, but it sounds odd to
> use
> several gigabytes of RAM for a sort.
>
> Could you post EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the query with only one row, as
> well
> as your table schema?

met_data=# EXPLAIN ANALYSE SELECT sites.station_id, sites.longname,
sites.lat, sites.lon, sites.thepoint_meter, weather.date,
weather.year, weather.month, weather.day, weather.doy,
weather.precip, weather.tmin, weather.tmax, weather.snowfall,
weather.snowdepth, weather.tmean FROM sites LEFT OUTER JOIN weather
ON sites.station_id = weather.station_id WHERE weather.station_id =
210018 AND weather.year = 1893 AND weather.doy = 365;
                                                             QUERY PLAN
Nested Loop  (cost=0.00..33426.63 rows=1 width=96) (actual
time=2.140..101.122 rows=1 loops=1)
    ->  Index Scan using sites_pkey on sites  (cost=0.00..5.25 rows=1
          Index Cond: (210018 = station_id)
    ->  Index Scan using weather_pkey on weather
(cost=0.00..33421.37 rows=1 width=40) (actual time=2.011..100.983
rows=1 loops=1)
          Index Cond: (station_id = 210018)
          Filter: (("year" = 1893) AND (doy = 365))
Total runtime: 101.389 ms
(7 rows)

The schema is public, but I'm not sure how to do an EXPAIN ANALYSE on
a schema.

> /* Steinar */
> --
> Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1briel_=C1kos?= <akos.gabriel@i-logic.hu> writes:
>> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>> If you look at the message carefully, it looks like (for me) that the
>> client is running out of memory. Can't allocate that 8,4MB :)
>
> Right, the join result doesn't fit in the client's memory limit.
> This is not too surprising, as the out-of-the-box ulimit settings
> on Tiger appear to be
>
> $ ulimit -a
> core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
> data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 6144
> file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
> max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
> max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
> open files                    (-n) 256
> pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
> stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
> cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes            (-u) 266
> virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
> $
>
> 6 meg of memory isn't gonna hold 7 million rows ... so either raise
> "ulimit -d" (quite a lot) or else use a cursor to fetch the result
> in segments.

Thanks Tom... Any suggestions as to how much to raise ulimit -d? And
how to raise ulimit -d?

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:05:29AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
> Thanks Tom... Any suggestions as to how much to raise ulimit -d? And
> how to raise ulimit -d?

Try multiplying it by 100 for a start:

  ulimit -d 614400

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
"Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> writes:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:05:29AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
>> Thanks Tom... Any suggestions as to how much to raise ulimit -d? And
>> how to raise ulimit -d?

> Try multiplying it by 100 for a start:
>   ulimit -d 614400

Or just "ulimit -d unlimited"

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
Tom,

I tried ulimit -d 614400, but the query ended with the same error. I
thought then that the message:
psql(21522) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
psql(21522) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
psql(21522) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
out of memory for query result

was telling me that I needed 841376 for the querry, so I tied bumping
ulimit -d up another 10 to 6244000. However, that attempt gave the
error:
truffula:~ kwythers$ ulimit -d 6144000
-bash: ulimit: data seg size: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted

So I tried re-setting ulimit -d back to 6144, which worked, but now I
can not seem to get ulimit -d to change again. It will not even allow
ulimit -d 614400 (even though that worked a second ago). This seems
very odd.

On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:05:29AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Tom... Any suggestions as to how much to raise ulimit -d? And
>>> how to raise ulimit -d?
>>>

>> Try multiplying it by 100 for a start:
>>   ulimit -d 614400
>>

> Or just "ulimit -d unlimited"
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
> However, setting ulimit to unlimited does not seem to solve the
> issue. Output from ulimit -a is:

Possibly a silly question, but you are running the client code under the
shell session that you adjusted ulimit for, yes?

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
At this point there are no silly questions. But I am running the
query under the shell session that I adjusted. I did discover that
ulimit -d only changes the shell session that you issue the command
in. So I changed ulimit -d to unlimited, connected to the db with
psql db_name, then ran the select command (all in the same shell).

On Feb 2, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
>> However, setting ulimit to unlimited does not seem to solve the
>> issue. Output from ulimit -a is:
>
> Possibly a silly question, but you are running the client code
> under the
> shell session that you adjusted ulimit for, yes?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> writes:
>> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:05:29AM -0600, Kirk Wythers wrote:
>>> Thanks Tom... Any suggestions as to how much to raise ulimit -d? And
>>> how to raise ulimit -d?
>
>> Try multiplying it by 100 for a start:
>>   ulimit -d 614400
>
> Or just "ulimit -d unlimited"

Thanks to everyone so far.

However, setting ulimit to unlimited does not seem to solve the
issue. Output from ulimit -a is:

truffula:~ kwythers$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 100
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Also, changes to kernel settings in /etc/rc include:
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=167772160
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=65536

However, I'm still getting the memory error:

met_data=# SELECT sites.station_id, sites.longname, sites.lat,
sites.lon, sites.thepoint_meter, weather.date, weather.year,
weather.month, weather.day, weather.doy, weather.precip,
weather.tmin, weather.tmax, weather.snowfall, weather.snowdepth,
weather.tmean FROM sites LEFT OUTER JOIN weather ON sites.station_id
= weather.station_id;
psql(532) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
psql(532) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
psql(532) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
out of memory for query result

Any other ideas out there?

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
> However, setting ulimit to unlimited does not seem to solve the
> issue.

After some experimentation I'm left wondering exactly what ulimit's -d
option is for on OS X, because it sure doesn't seem to be limiting
process data size.  (I should have been suspicious of a value as small
as 6 meg, anyway.)  I tried selecting a large unconstrained join on my own
OS X machine, and what I saw (watching with "top") was that the psql
process VSIZE went up to 1.75Gb before it failed with the same error as
Kirk got:

regression=# select * from tenk1 a , tenk1 b;
psql(16572) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
psql(16572) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
psql(16572) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

Since this is just a bog-standard Mini with 512M memory, it was pretty
thoroughly on its knees by this point :-(.  I'm not sure how to find out
about allocated swap space in OS X, but my bet is that the above message
should be understood as "totally out of virtual memory".

My suggestion is to use a cursor to retrieve the data in more
manageably-sized chunks than 7M rows.  (If you don't want to mess with
managing a cursor explicitly, as of 8.2 there's a psql variable
FETCH_COUNT that can be set to make it happen behind the scenes.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Luke Lonergan"
Дата:
Tom,

On 2/2/07 2:18 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> as of 8.2 there's a psql variable
> FETCH_COUNT that can be set to make it happen behind the scenes.)

FETCH_COUNT is a godsend and works beautifully for exactly this purpose.

Now he's got to worry about how to page through 8GB of results in something
less than geological time with the space bar ;-)

- Luke

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Tom,
>
> On 2/2/07 2:18 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> as of 8.2 there's a psql variable
>> FETCH_COUNT that can be set to make it happen behind the scenes.)
>
> FETCH_COUNT is a godsend and works beautifully for exactly this purpose.
>
> Now he's got to worry about how to page through 8GB of results in something
> less than geological time with the space bar ;-)

\o /tmp/really_big_cursor_return

;)

Joshua D. Drake

> - Luke

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Luke Lonergan"
Дата:
> \o /tmp/really_big_cursor_return
>
> ;)

Tough crowd :-D

- Luke

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers

On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Luke Lonergan wrote:

Tough crowd :-D

No kidding ;-)

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> \o /tmp/really_big_cursor_return
>>
>> ;)
>
> Tough crowd :-D

Yeah well Andrew probably would have said use sed and pipe it through
awk to get the data you want.

Joshua D. Drake

> - Luke

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> Tom,
>
> On 2/2/07 2:18 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> as of 8.2 there's a psql variable
>> FETCH_COUNT that can be set to make it happen behind the scenes.)
>
> FETCH_COUNT is a godsend and works beautifully for exactly this
> purpose.
>
> Now he's got to worry about how to page through 8GB of results in
> something
> less than geological time with the space bar ;-)

I actually have no intention of paging through the results, but
rather need to use the query to get the results into a new table with
UPDATE, so that a GIS system can do some interpolations with subsets
of the results.

> - Luke

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>>> \o /tmp/really_big_cursor_return
>>>
>>> ;)
>> Tough crowd :-D
>
> Yeah well Andrew probably would have said use sed and pipe it through
> awk to get the data you want.

Chances are, if you're using awk, you shouldn't need sed. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Geoffrey wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Tough crowd :-D
>>
>> Yeah well Andrew probably would have said use sed and pipe it through
>> awk to get the data you want.
>
> Chances are, if you're using awk, you shouldn't need sed. :)

Chances are.. if you are using awk or sed, you should use perl ;)

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
> On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> Now he's got to worry about how to page through 8GB of results in
>> something less than geological time with the space bar ;-)

> I actually have no intention of paging through the results, but
> rather need to use the query to get the results into a new table with
> UPDATE, so that a GIS system can do some interpolations with subsets
> of the results.

Er ... then why are you SELECTing the data at all?  You can most likely
get it done much faster if the data stays inside the database engine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
>> On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>>> Now he's got to worry about how to page through 8GB of results in
>>> something less than geological time with the space bar ;-)
>
>> I actually have no intention of paging through the results, but
>> rather need to use the query to get the results into a new table with
>> UPDATE, so that a GIS system can do some interpolations with subsets
>> of the results.
>
> Er ... then why are you SELECTing the data at all?  You can most
> likely
> get it done much faster if the data stays inside the database engine.

The new table needs to be filled with the results of the join. If
there is a way to do this without a SELECT, please share.

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Kirk Wythers wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I actually have no intention of paging through the results, but
>>> rather need to use the query to get the results into a new table with
>>> UPDATE, so that a GIS system can do some interpolations with subsets
>>> of the results.
>>
>> Er ... then why are you SELECTing the data at all?  You can most likely
>> get it done much faster if the data stays inside the database engine.
>>

> The new table needs to be filled with the results of the join. If there
> is a way to do this without a SELECT, please share.

INSERT INTO foo SELECT * FROM BAR JOIN baz USING (id)

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

Дата:
Kirk Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu> writes:
> The new table needs to be filled with the results of the join. If
> there is a way to do this without a SELECT, please share.

If it's an entirely new table, then you probably want to use INSERT
... SELECT.  If what you want is to update existing rows using a join,
you can use UPDATE ... FROM (not standard) or something involving a
sub-select.  You'd need to state your problem in some detail to get more
help than that...

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Shane Ambler
Tom Lane wrote:

> Since this is just a bog-standard Mini with 512M memory, it was pretty
> thoroughly on its knees by this point :-(.  I'm not sure how to find out
> about allocated swap space in OS X, but my bet is that the above message
> should be understood as "totally out of virtual memory".

just so you can look into it for your own curiosity ;-) - Mac OS X uses
the startup disk for VM storage. You can find the files in - /var/vm

You will find the swapfiles there, the size of the swapfiles
progressively get larger - swapfile0 and 1 are 64M then 2 is 128M, 3 is
256M, 4 is 512M, 5 is 1G.... each is preallocated so it only gives you a
rough idea of how much vm is being used. You would run out when your
startup disk is full, though most apps probably hit the wall at 4G of vm
unless you have built a 64bit version.

The 4G (32bit) limit may be where you hit the out of memory errors (or
is postgres get around that with it's caching?).

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Kirk Wythers
Дата:
On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Shane Ambler wrote:

> just so you can look into it for your own curiosity ;-) - Mac OS X
> uses the startup disk for VM storage. You can find the files in - /
> var/vm
>
> You will find the swapfiles there, the size of the swapfiles
> progressively get larger - swapfile0 and 1 are 64M then 2 is 128M,
> 3 is 256M, 4 is 512M, 5 is 1G.... each is preallocated so it only
> gives you a rough idea of how much vm is being used. You would run
> out when your startup disk is full, though most apps probably hit
> the wall at 4G of vm unless you have built a 64bit version.
>
> The 4G (32bit) limit may be where you hit the out of memory errors
> (or is postgres get around that with it's caching?).

Any idea if postgres on OS X can truely access more that 4 gigs if
the 64 bit version is built? I have tried building the 64 bit version
of some other apps on OS X, and I have never been convinced that they
behaved as true 64 bit.

> --
>
> Shane Ambler
> pgSQL@007Marketing.com
>
> Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Kirk Wythers wrote:

>> The 4G (32bit) limit may be where you hit the out of memory errors (or
>> is postgres get around that with it's caching?).
>
> Any idea if postgres on OS X can truely access more that 4 gigs if the
> 64 bit version is built? I have tried building the 64 bit version of
> some other apps on OS X, and I have never been convinced that they
> behaved as true 64 bit.

I haven't tried myself

--

Shane Ambler