Re: trouble with a join on OS X

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: trouble with a join on OS X
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1briel_=C1kos?= <akos.gabriel@i-logic.hu> writes:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>> Kirk Wythers wrote:
>>> I am trying to do fairly simple joins on climate databases that should
>>> return ~ 7 million rows of data.

> If you look at the message carefully, it looks like (for me) that the
> client is running out of memory. Can't allocate that 8,4MB :)

Right, the join result doesn't fit in the client's memory limit.
This is not too surprising, as the out-of-the-box ulimit settings
on Tiger appear to be

$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 6144
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 266
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
$

6 meg of memory isn't gonna hold 7 million rows ... so either raise
"ulimit -d" (quite a lot) or else use a cursor to fetch the result
in segments.

Сообщение: Re: trouble with a join on OS X
Сообщение: Re: trouble with a join on OS X