Обсуждение: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Hackers,

Per the Developer Meeting, we are scheduled to do a final triage of 9.4
patches the week before CF4 starts, which is *now*.  The goal of this
triage is to divide patches already in queue into 5 groups:

1) Good To Go: patches which are 100% ready for final testing and commit.

2) Needs a Little Work: smaller patches which can be included in 9.4 if
they get a few hours of love from a committer or major hacker.

3) Big Patches: big, important patches which will need a major time
committement to commit even though they are 90% ready, just due to size.

4) Not Nearly Ready: Patches which need major work and/or spec
discussions before commitment.

5) WIP: any patch which is acknowledged just there for review, or any
brand-new patch which wasn't in CF3 and is non-trivial.

Obviously, any patches in groups 4 and 5 aren't going into 9.4.  The
idea is to handle patches in CF4 in this order:

1. do immediately

2. do after (1) is complete

3. assign 1 senior hacker reviewer to each patch

4. review as time permits after 1-3

5. review as time permits after 1-3

Let the triage begin!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 10:45:37AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> Per the Developer Meeting, we are scheduled to do a final triage of 9.4
> patches the week before CF4 starts, which is *now*.  The goal of this
> triage is to divide patches already in queue into 5 groups:

With utmost respect, there are unsent patches which don't fit into the
categories below.  Are you saying now that the cut-off is today, and
not actually 1/15, as everyone understands it to be?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 10:45:37AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Per the Developer Meeting, we are scheduled to do a final triage of 9.4
> > patches the week before CF4 starts, which is *now*.  The goal of this
> > triage is to divide patches already in queue into 5 groups:
>
> With utmost respect, there are unsent patches which don't fit into the
> categories below.  Are you saying now that the cut-off is today, and
> not actually 1/15, as everyone understands it to be?

The categories are based on the degree of completion- how can a patch
not fit into one of those?

As for the cut-off, I would guess that the "by-the-book" approach would
be to allow until the 15th, but if it's a big patch and it hasn't been
seen in prior CF's then it shouldn't particularly matter.  That doesn't
preclude us from working on the triage in advance of the CF starting.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 01/08/2014 11:07 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 10:45:37AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Hackers,
>>
>> Per the Developer Meeting, we are scheduled to do a final triage of 9.4
>> patches the week before CF4 starts, which is *now*.  The goal of this
>> triage is to divide patches already in queue into 5 groups:
>
> With utmost respect, there are unsent patches which don't fit into the
> categories below.  Are you saying now that the cut-off is today, and
> not actually 1/15, as everyone understands it to be?

It has always been our policy that non-trivial patches which appear for
the first time in CF4 go to the bottom of the priority list.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

Дата:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> With utmost respect, there are unsent patches which don't fit into the
> categories below.  Are you saying now that the cut-off is today, and
> not actually 1/15, as everyone understands it to be?

I think Josh is merely suggesting that we could start triaging the
patches we have in hand.  If you're aware of new submissions pending
for any of them, of course, it wouldn't hurt to tell people about it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-01-08 14:50:52 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > With utmost respect, there are unsent patches which don't fit into the
> > categories below.  Are you saying now that the cut-off is today, and
> > not actually 1/15, as everyone understands it to be?
>
> I think Josh is merely suggesting that we could start triaging the
> patches we have in hand.  If you're aware of new submissions pending
> for any of them, of course, it wouldn't hurt to tell people about it.

What about doing the triage the first two days or so of the CF? Then we
know which patches have been submitted/updated and we haven't yet
performed too many reviews of patches which aren't going to make it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> What about doing the triage the first two days or so of the CF? Then we
> know which patches have been submitted/updated and we haven't yet
> performed too many reviews of patches which aren't going to make it.

If we triage the patches we already have NOW, then it'll be possible to
triage the new/updated stuff which comes in in the first 48 hours of the
CF.  If we wait until the CF begins, we'll spend at least the first week
of the CF triaging.

That's why we set this schedule at the developer meeting.

And besides, we already know what category *your* patch belongs in ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

To make this easier for everyone to participate in, I've created a wiki
page:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.4CF4Triage

Please add the patches you know well to the appropriate list, thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
David Rowley
Дата:
To make this easier for everyone to participate in, I've created a wiki
page:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.4CF4Triage

Please add the patches you know well to the appropriate list, thanks!

I know my own patch pretty well and from my own point of view it's very close to being about ready to go, but a good review may change that. Should we be waiting for 2nd opinions or can patch authors decide for themselves? Or were you talking only to commiters?

Regards

David Rowley

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Time to do our Triage for 9.4

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 01/10/2014 01:34 PM, David Rowley wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> To make this easier for everyone to participate in, I've created a wiki
>> page:
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.4CF4Triage
>>
>> Please add the patches you know well to the appropriate list, thanks!
>>

> I know my own patch pretty well and from my own point of view it's very
> close to being about ready to go, but a good review may change that. Should
> we be waiting for 2nd opinions or can patch authors decide for themselves?
> Or were you talking only to commiters?

Well, I'd prefer that someone other than the patch author assess the
patch state; the author is going to be characteristically optimistic.

However, it's a wiki.  If you put it under "good to go" someone else who
disagrees can move it.  IMHO, if the patch hasn't had at least one
review yet (in a prior CF), though, I'd put it under "Nearly Ready".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.