Обсуждение: no universally correct setting for fsync

no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
while running with fsync=off.  I was all set to refer him to the
documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
think is reasonable.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC
There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
| using fsync results in a performance penalty
| Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
| for fsync.
| If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
| utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
| disabling fsync.
Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?
-Kevin

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
> while running with fsync=off.  I was all set to refer him to the
> documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
> surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
> think is reasonable.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC
>
> There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
>
> | using fsync results in a performance penalty
>
> | Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
> | for fsync.
>
> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
> | disabling fsync.
>
> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?

I agree.  I've always thought this part of the documentation made
setting fsync=off much more reasonable than I feel it to be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 16:00, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Kevin Grittner
> <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>> Someone just posted to the -admin list with a database corrupted
>> while running with fsync=off.  I was all set to refer him to the
>> documentation explaining why he should stop doing this, but to my
>> surprise the documentation waffles on the issue way past what I
>> think is reasonable.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-FSYNC
>>
>> There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
>>
>> | using fsync results in a performance penalty
>>
>> | Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
>> | for fsync.
>>
>> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
>> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
>> | disabling fsync.
>>
>> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?
>
> I agree.  I've always thought this part of the documentation made
> setting fsync=off much more reasonable than I feel it to be.

+1, definitely. fsync=off should only be done if you *really*
understand what it means, and that requires a lot more explanation
than that...

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
> | disabling fsync.
> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?

I think that statement is true as far as it goes, but I agree with
rejiggering the surrounding text.  The whole thing was written back
when Postgres was by far the least reliable component of the stack.
It isn't anymore.  We should make it clear that fsync=off is not ever
recommended for production.
        regards, tom lane

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Andrew Dunstan

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> There are dire-sounding statements interspersed with:
>
> | using fsync results in a performance penalty
>
> | Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct setting
> | for fsync.
>
> | If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
> | utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
> | disabling fsync.
>
> Isn't this a little too rosy a picture to paint?

I think the critical question is really whether you are prepared to lose
your database.

I have a customer who rotates databases in and out of line, and
processes major updates on the out of line database. If they lose the
database occasionally they are prepared to wear that risk for the
performance gain they get from running with fsync off. It just means
that they have to recover and so the inline database will get a bit
staler than usual while they do.

So I think its true that there is no universally right answer. Maybe the
criteria mentioned in the last para need tweaking some, though. It's not
just a matter of trusting hardware etc. I have seen mishaps when idiots
knock out power cords and the like. The unexpected does sometime happen,
despite the best planning.

cheers

andrew

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> I think the critical question is really whether you are prepared
> to lose your database.
Precisely; and the docs don't make that at all clear.  They mention
the possibility of database corruption, but downplay it:
| When fsync is disabled, the operating system is allowed to do its
| best in buffering, ordering, and delaying writes. This can result
| in significantly improved performance. However, if the system
| crashes, the results of the last few committed transactions might
| be lost in part or whole. In the worst case, unrecoverable data
| corruption might occur.

> [valid use case for fsync=off]
>
> So I think its true that there is no universally right answer.
> Maybe the criteria mentioned in the last para need tweaking some,
> though.
I think it goes beyond "tweaking" -- I think we should have a bald
statement like "don't turn this off unless you're OK with losing the
entire contents of the database cluster."  A brief listing of some
cases where that is OK might be illustrative.
I never meant to suggest any statement in that section is factually
wrong; it's just all too rosy, leading people to believe it's no big
deal to turn it off.
-Kevin

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> I never meant to suggest any statement in that section is factually
> wrong; it's just all too rosy, leading people to believe it's no big
> deal to turn it off.

Yeah, that section is overdue for an update.  I'll write some new text
and post it to pgsql-docs.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Bernd Helmle

--On 7. Mai 2010 09:48:53 -0500 Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> I think it goes beyond "tweaking" -- I think we should have a bald
> statement like "don't turn this off unless you're OK with losing the
> entire contents of the database cluster."  A brief listing of some
> cases where that is OK might be illustrative.

+1

> I never meant to suggest any statement in that section is factually
> wrong; it's just all too rosy, leading people to believe it's no big
> deal to turn it off.

I think one mistake in this paragraph is the passing mention of
"performance". I've seen installations in the past with fsync=off only
because the admin was pressured to get instantly "more speed" out of the
database (think of "fast_mode=on"). In my opinion, phrases like
"performance penalty" are misleading, if you need that setting in 99% of
all use cases for reliable operation.

I've recently even started to wonder if the performance gain with fsync=off
is still that large on modern hardware. While testing large migration
procedures to a new version some time ago (on an admitedly fast storage) i
forgot here and then to turn it off, without a significant degradation in
performance.

--
Thanks
Bernd

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> I've recently even started to wonder if the performance gain with fsync=off
> is still that large on modern hardware. While testing large migration
> procedures to a new version some time ago (on an admitedly fast storage) i
> forgot here and then to turn it off, without a significant degradation in
> performance.

That says to me either that you're using a battery-backed write cache,
or your fsyncs don't really work (no write barriers or something like
that).
        regards, tom lane

--On 7. Mai 2010 19:49:15 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
>> I've recently even started to wonder if the performance gain with
>> fsync=off  is still that large on modern hardware. While testing large
>> migration  procedures to a new version some time ago (on an admitedly
>> fast storage) i  forgot here and then to turn it off, without a
>> significant degradation in  performance.
>
> That says to me either that you're using a battery-backed write cache,
> or your fsyncs don't really work (no write barriers or something like
> that).

Well, yes, BBU present and proven storage. Maybe i'm wrong, but it seems
battery backed write caches aren't that seldom even in low end systems
nowadays.

--
Thanks
Bernd

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 8/05/2010 1:56 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> I never meant to suggest any statement in that section is factually
>> wrong; it's just all too rosy, leading people to believe it's no big
>> deal to turn it off.
>
> Yeah, that section is overdue for an update. I'll write some new text
> and post it to pgsql-docs.

It's probably worth mentioning that people who want to turn off fsync to
gain a performance boost should instead look at a RAID controller with a
BBU so they can safely enable write-back caching, getting most of the
benefits of fsync=off safely.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Michael Tharp
Дата:
On 05/08/2010 04:07 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> It's probably worth mentioning that people who want to turn off fsync to
> gain a performance boost should instead look at a RAID controller with a
> BBU so they can safely enable write-back caching, getting most of the
> benefits of fsync=off safely.

Which options specifically should be set if a BBU is in use? Obviously
fsync should be on always, but can full_page_writes be disabled? Are
there other tweaks that can be done?

It would be great to see some practical hints in the documentation while
the fsync part is getting changed.

-- m. tharp

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
Michael Tharp wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 04:07 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > It's probably worth mentioning that people who want to turn off fsync to
> > gain a performance boost should instead look at a RAID controller with a
> > BBU so they can safely enable write-back caching, getting most of the
> > benefits of fsync=off safely.
>
> Which options specifically should be set if a BBU is in use? Obviously
> fsync should be on always, but can full_page_writes be disabled? Are
> there other tweaks that can be done?
>
> It would be great to see some practical hints in the documentation while
> the fsync part is getting changed.

Uh, our docs have:
Turning this parameter off speeds normal operation, but mightlead to a corrupt database after an operating system crash
orpowerfailure. The risks are similar to turning off<varname>fsync</>, though smaller.  It might be safe to turnoff
thisparameter if you have hardware (such as a battery-backeddisk controller) or file-system software that reduces the
riskofpartial page writes to an acceptably low level (e.g., ZFS).

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Michael Tharp wrote:
>> On 05/08/2010 04:07 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> > It's probably worth mentioning that people who want to turn off fsync to
>> > gain a performance boost should instead look at a RAID controller with a
>> > BBU so they can safely enable write-back caching, getting most of the
>> > benefits of fsync=off safely.
>>
>> Which options specifically should be set if a BBU is in use? Obviously
>> fsync should be on always, but can full_page_writes be disabled? Are
>> there other tweaks that can be done?
>>
>> It would be great to see some practical hints in the documentation while
>> the fsync part is getting changed.
>
> Uh, our docs have:
>
>        Turning this parameter off speeds normal operation, but might
>        lead to a corrupt database after an operating system crash or
>        power failure. The risks are similar to turning off
>        <varname>fsync</>, though smaller.  It might be safe to turn
>        off this parameter if you have hardware (such as a battery-backed
>        disk controller) or file-system software that reduces the risk
>        of partial page writes to an acceptably low level (e.g., ZFS).

"It might be safe" is a bit of a waffle.  It would be nice if we could
provide some more clear guidance as to whether it is or is not, or how
someone could go about testing their hardware to find out.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Michael Tharp wrote:
> >>
> >> Which options specifically should be set if a BBU is in use? Obviously
> >> fsync should be on always, but can full_page_writes be disabled? Are
> >> there other tweaks that can be done?
> >>
> >> It would be great to see some practical hints in the documentation while
> >> the fsync part is getting changed.
> >
> > Uh, our docs have:
> >
> > ? ? ? ?Turning this parameter off speeds normal operation, but might
> > ? ? ? ?lead to a corrupt database after an operating system crash or
> > ? ? ? ?power failure. The risks are similar to turning off
> > ? ? ? ?<varname>fsync</>, though smaller. ?It might be safe to turn
> > ? ? ? ?off this parameter if you have hardware (such as a battery-backed
> > ? ? ? ?disk controller) or file-system software that reduces the risk
> > ? ? ? ?of partial page writes to an acceptably low level (e.g., ZFS).
>
> "It might be safe" is a bit of a waffle.  It would be nice if we could
> provide some more clear guidance as to whether it is or is not, or how
> someone could go about testing their hardware to find out.

Agreed.  It is "safe" for us to be definitive here?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
> "It might be safe" is a bit of a waffle.  It would be nice if we
> could provide some more clear guidance as to whether it is or is
> not, or how someone could go about testing their hardware to find
> out.
I think that the issue is that you could have corruption if some,
but not all, disk sectors from a page were written from OS cache to
controller cache when a failure occurred.  The window would be small
for a RAM-to-RAM write, but it wouldn't be entirely *safe* unless
there's some OS/driver environment where you could count on all the
sectors making it or none of them making it for every single page.
Does such an environment exist?
-Kevin

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "It might be safe" is a bit of a waffle.  It would be nice if we
>> could provide some more clear guidance as to whether it is or is
>> not, or how someone could go about testing their hardware to find
>> out.
>
> I think that the issue is that you could have corruption if some,
> but not all, disk sectors from a page were written from OS cache to
> controller cache when a failure occurred.  The window would be small
> for a RAM-to-RAM write, but it wouldn't be entirely *safe* unless
> there's some OS/driver environment where you could count on all the
> sectors making it or none of them making it for every single page.
> Does such an environment exist?

The reason for the waffle is that the following sentence describes a
whole set of environments based the following description:

> > ? ? ? ?if you have hardware (such as a battery-backed
> > ? ? ? ?disk controller) or file-system software that reduces the risk
> > ? ? ? ?of partial page writes to an acceptably low level

Depending on which set of hardware and how low the risk is it might be safe.

I think with WAFL or ZFS it's entirely safe. There may be other
filesystems with similar guarantees. With a BBU the risk might be very
low -- but it might not, it would be hard to determine without a
detailed analysis of the entire stack from the buffer cache,
filesystem, lvm, hardware drivers, BBU design, etc.

--
greg

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 18:46 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Kevin Grittner
> <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "It might be safe" is a bit of a waffle.  It would be nice if we
> >> could provide some more clear guidance as to whether it is or is
> >> not, or how someone could go about testing their hardware to find
> >> out.
> >
> > I think that the issue is that you could have corruption if some,
> > but not all, disk sectors from a page were written from OS cache to
> > controller cache when a failure occurred.  The window would be small
> > for a RAM-to-RAM write, but it wouldn't be entirely *safe* unless
> > there's some OS/driver environment where you could count on all the
> > sectors making it or none of them making it for every single page.
> > Does such an environment exist?
>
> The reason for the waffle is that the following sentence describes a
> whole set of environments based the following description:
>
> > > ? ? ? ?if you have hardware (such as a battery-backed
> > > ? ? ? ?disk controller) or file-system software that reduces the risk
> > > ? ? ? ?of partial page writes to an acceptably low level
>
> Depending on which set of hardware and how low the risk is it might be safe.
>
> I think with WAFL or ZFS it's entirely safe. There may be other
> filesystems with similar guarantees. With a BBU the risk might be very
> low -- but it might not, it would be hard to determine without a
> detailed analysis of the entire stack from the buffer cache,
> filesystem, lvm, hardware drivers, BBU design, etc.

The answer to this is:

PostgreSQL.org recommends that this setting be left on at all times.
Turning it off, may lead to data corruption.

Anything else is circumstantial and based on knowledge and facts we
don't have about environmental factors.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> The answer to this is:
>
> PostgreSQL.org recommends that this setting be left on at all
> times.  Turning it off, may lead to data corruption.
>
> Anything else is circumstantial and based on knowledge and facts
> we don't have about environmental factors.
Perhaps Josh's language for fsync could be modified to work here
(we're now talking about full_page_writes, for anyone who's lost
track):
| it is only advisable to turn off fsync if you can easily recreate
| your entire database from external data.
That covers bulk loads to an empty or just-backed-up database and
entirely redundant databases.  Saying it should never be turned off
would tend to make one wonder why we have the setting at all.
-Kevin

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
> Perhaps Josh's language for fsync could be modified to work here
> (we're now talking about full_page_writes, for anyone who's lost
> track):
> | it is only advisable to turn off fsync if you can easily recreate
> | your entire database from external data.

> That covers bulk loads to an empty or just-backed-up database and
> entirely redundant databases.  Saying it should never be turned off
> would tend to make one wonder why we have the setting at all.

+1.  Perhaps for both of them, we should specify that the intended
use-case is for improving performance during initial database load
and similar cases.
        regards, tom lane

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2010/5/8 Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>:

> --On 7. Mai 2010 09:48:53 -0500 Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it goes beyond "tweaking" -- I think we should have a bald
>> statement like "don't turn this off unless you're OK with losing the
>> entire contents of the database cluster."  A brief listing of some
>> cases where that is OK might be illustrative.
>>

> +1
>
>> I never meant to suggest any statement in that section is factually
>> wrong; it's just all too rosy, leading people to believe it's no big
>> deal to turn it off.
>
> I think one mistake in this paragraph is the passing mention of
> "performance". I've seen installations in the past with fsync=off only
> because the admin was pressured to get instantly "more speed" out of the
> database (think of "fast_mode=on"). In my opinion, phrases like "performance
> penalty" are misleading, if you need that setting in 99% of all use cases
> for reliable operation.
>
> I've recently even started to wonder if the performance gain with fsync=off
> is still that large on modern hardware. While testing large migration
> procedures to a new version some time ago (on an admitedly fast storage) i
> forgot here and then to turn it off, without a significant degradation in
> performance.

On a recent pg_restore -j 32, with perc 6i with BBU, RAID10 8 hd,
results were not so bas with fsync turn on. (XFS with nobarrier su and
sw)
-- deactivate fsync
time pg_restore -U postgres -d foodb -j 32 foo.psql
real    170m0.527s
user    43m12.914s
sys     1m56.499s
-- activate fsync
time pg_restore -U postgres -d foodb -j 32 foo.psql
real    177m0.121s
user    42m54.581s
sys     2m0.452s

> --
> Thanks
>
>        Bernd

Cédric Villemain

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

Updated docs based on tracking this discussion.  fsync through full page
writes recorded below.

============

<para>       If this parameter is on, the <productname>PostgreSQL</> server       will try to make sure that updates
arephysically written to       disk, by issuing <function>fsync()</> system calls or various       equivalent methods
(see<xref linkend="guc-wal-sync-method">).       This ensures that the database cluster can recover to a
consistentstate after an operating system or hardware crash.      </para>

unrecoverabledata corruption in the

event       of an unexpected system shutdown or crash.  Thus it is only
advisable       to turn off  <varname>fsync</varname> if you can easily recreate       your entire database from
externaldata.      </para>

databasefrom a backup file, on a

database which isonly used for processing statistics on an hourly basis and is then
deleted,       or on a reporting read-only clone of your database which gets
recreated very       night and is not used for failover.  High quality hardware alone
      <para>       In many situations, turning off <xref
linkend="guc-synchronous-commit">       for noncritical transactions can provide much of the potential
performancebenefit of turning off <varname>fsync</varname>, without       the attendant risks of data corruption.
</para>
<filename>postgresql.conf</>       file or on the server command line.       If you turn this parameter off, also

    <varlistentry id="guc-synchronous-commit"
forWAL records       to be written to disk before the command returns a <quote>success</>       indication to the
client. The default, and safe, setting is       <literal>on</>.  When <literal>off</>, there can be a delay between
 when success is reported to the client and when the transaction is       really guaranteed to be safe against a server
crash. (The maximum       delay is three times <xref linkend="guc-wal-writer-delay">.)  Unlike       <xref
linkend="guc-fsync">,setting this parameter to

<literal>off</>       does not create any risk of database inconsistency: a crash might       result in some recent
allegedly-committedtransactions being

lost, but       the database state will be just the same as if those
transactions had       been aborted cleanly.  So, turning
<varname>synchronous_commit</> off       can be a useful alternative when performance is more important than
exactcertainty about the durability of a transaction.  For more       discussion see <xref linkend="wal-async-commit">.
    </para>      <para>       This parameter can be changed at any time; the behavior for any       one transaction is
determinedby the setting in effect when it       commits.  It is therefore possible, and useful, to have some
transactionscommit synchronously and others asynchronously.       For example, to make a single multi-statement
transactioncommit       asynchronously when the default is the opposite, issue <command>SET       LOCAL
synchronous_commitTO OFF</> within the transaction.      </para>     </listitem>    </varlistentry>

    If <varname>fsync</varname> is off then this setting is irrelevant,       since WAL file updates will not be forced
outat all.       Possible values are:      </para>      <itemizedlist>       <listitem>       <para>
<literal>open_datasync</>(write WAL files with

<literal>fdatasync</>(call <function>fdatasync()</> at each

<function>fsync()</>at

<para>       <literal>fsync</> (call <function>fsync()</> at each commit)       </para>       </listitem>

option <symbol>O_SYNC</>)       </para>       </listitem>      </itemizedlist>      <para>       Not all of these
choicesare available on all platforms.       The default is the first method in the above list that is supported
bythe platform.       The <literal>open_</>* options also use <literal>O_DIRECT</> if

available.       The utility <filename>src/tools/fsync</> in the PostgreSQL
source tree       can do performance testing of various fsync methods.       This parameter can only be set in the
<filename>postgresql.conf</>      file or on the server command line.      </para>     </listitem>    </varlistentry>

    <varlistentry id="guc-full-page-writes" xreflabel="full_page_writes">     <indexterm>
<primary><varname>full_page_writes</>configuration

<productname>PostgreSQL</>server       writes the entire content of each disk page to WAL during the       first
modificationof that page after a checkpoint.       This is needed because       a page write that is in process during
anoperating system crash

might       be only partially completed, leading to an on-disk page       that contains a mix of old and new data.  The
row-levelchange data       normally stored in WAL will not be enough to completely restore       such a page during
post-crashrecovery.  Storing the full page image       guarantees that the page can be correctly restored, but at the
price      of increasing the amount of data that must be written to WAL.       (Because WAL replay always starts from a
checkpoint,it is

sufficient       to do this during the first change of each page after a checkpoint.       Therefore, one way to reduce
thecost of full-page writes is to       increase the checkpoint interval parameters.)      </para>

      <para>       Turning this parameter off speeds normal operation, but       might lead to either unrecoverable
datacorruption, or silent       data corruption, after a system failure. The risks are similar

to turning off       <varname>fsync</varname>, though smaller, and it should be
turned off       only based on the same circumstances recommended for that parameter.      </para>
      <para>       Turning off this parameter does not affect use of       WAL archiving for point-in-time recovery
(PITR)      (see <xref linkend="continuous-archiving">).      </para>

      <para>       This parameter can only be set in the <filename>postgresql.conf</>       file or on the server
commandline.       The default is <literal>on</>.      </para>     </listitem>    </varlistentry>

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Cédric Villemain<cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a recent pg_restore -j 32, with perc 6i with BBU, RAID10 8 hd,
> results were not so bas with fsync turn on. (XFS with nobarrier su
> and sw)
> -- deactivate fsync
> time pg_restore -U postgres -d foodb -j 32 foo.psql
> real    170m0.527s
> user    43m12.914s
> sys     1m56.499s
> -- activate fsync
> time pg_restore -U postgres -d foodb -j 32 foo.psql
> real    177m0.121s
> user    42m54.581s
> sys     2m0.452s
Wow.  In a situation where you save seven minutes (4%), it's hardly
worth turning off.
-Kevin

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Wow.  In a situation where you save seven minutes (4%), it's hardly
> worth turning off.

I've had it be much higher, especially for really large databases.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 01:35:32PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> deleted,
>         or on a reporting read-only clone of your database which gets
> recreated very
>         night and is not used for failover.  High quality hardware alone

s/very/every/
or
s/very night/periodically/

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Wow.  In a situation where you save seven minutes (4%), it's hardly
>> worth turning off.
>>

> I've had it be much higher, especially for really large databases.

Cedric's system had a non-volatile write cache in it.  In that case, a
few percentage points of improvement is normal--the overhead of fsync is
very low.  In the case where you don't have one of those, and the write
cache on the drives are turned off for safety too, I've seen turning
fsync off be a 40X speedup--100 inserts/second jumping to 4000TPS.
(This was before synchronous_commit).

The real question is how much of a speed-up fsync provides compared to
the same workload with synchronous_commit disabled.  The only case for
fsync=off is one where that number is much faster.  That's the case on
some low-level operations (I seem to recall there is no async commit
speedup for CREATE DATABASE for example).  But for most of what people
want to speed, just killing sync commit while keeping fsync is on is
good enough.  I suspect there are still some bulk-load workloads where
fsync=off helps beyond just going for async commit, but they're tougher
to find and the difference isn't huge relative to total load times.

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> The real question is how much of a speed-up fsync provides compared to
> the same workload with synchronous_commit disabled.  The only case for
> fsync=off is one where that number is much faster.

I can't say I've tested this.  Most of my head-to-heads on fsync were
before asych existed.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 5/10/10 2:21 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 01:35:32PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> deleted,
>>         or on a reporting read-only clone of your database which gets
>> recreated very
>>         night and is not used for failover.  High quality hardware alone
>
> s/very/every/
> or
> s/very night/periodically/

"frequently" I think.  Periodically could mean once a year.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>> The real question is how much of a speed-up fsync provides compared to
>> the same workload with synchronous_commit disabled.  The only case for
>> fsync=off is one where that number is much faster.
>>
> I can't say I've tested this.  Most of my head-to-heads on fsync were
> before asych existed.

Ditto for me.  Curious about that, and I'd like to help work on
improving this chunk of the docs too.  I don't know about you guys, but
I'm swamped until after PGCon though.

I have some hardware testing stuff planned anyway later this month, can
check exactly where this situation truly stands on a couple of common
pieces of hardware (next system has one of the LSI controllers Dell
rebrands too).  I'll have the systems setup for something similar
anyway--can certainly see fsync differences with pgbench--easy to throw
this test into the mix too.

With that report, we should have the info needed to really nail this
down accurately.  I can make my own proofreading pass of what Josh has
already been doing that also reflects the new data, and then we can
commit something that's good and well reviewed for 9.0 here.

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От
Yeb Havinga
Дата:
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>

>> The answer to this is:
>>
>> PostgreSQL.org recommends that this setting be left on at all
>> times.  Turning it off, may lead to data corruption.
>>
>> Anything else is circumstantial and based on knowledge and facts
>> we don't have about environmental factors.
>>

> Perhaps Josh's language for fsync could be modified to work here
> (we're now talking about full_page_writes, for anyone who's lost
> track):
>
> | it is only advisable to turn off fsync if you can easily recreate
> | your entire database from external data.
>
> That covers bulk loads to an empty or just-backed-up database and
> entirely redundant databases.  Saying it should never be turned off
> would tend to make one wonder why we have the setting at all.

Would the term "entirely redundant databases" include (synchronously)
replicated databases? (ps: I did indeed lose track about whether this is
about fsync or full_page_writes and did not get on the track again)

regards,
Yeb Havinga

Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Updated docs based on tracking this discussion.  fsync through full page
> writes recorded below.

I have applied this doc update with the attached patch.

I added the change from "every night" to "frequently", and reworded it
slightly so it was clear it affects the entire cluster, not just a
single database.

Index: doc/src/sgml/config.sgml
RCS file: /cvsroot/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/config.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.279
diff -c -c -r1.279 config.sgml
*** doc/src/sgml/config.sgml    26 May 2010 23:49:18 -0000    1.279
--- doc/src/sgml/config.sgml    31 May 2010 15:44:36 -0000
***************
*** 1413,1446 ****
         </para>

         <para>
!         However, using <varname>fsync</varname> results in a
!         performance penalty: when a transaction is committed,
!         <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> must wait for the
!         operating system to flush the write-ahead log to disk.  When
!         <varname>fsync</varname> is disabled, the operating system is
!         allowed to do its best in buffering, ordering, and delaying
!         writes. This can result in significantly improved performance.
!         However, if the system crashes, the results of the last few
!         committed transactions might be completely lost, or worse,
!         might appear partially committed, leaving the database in an
!         inconsistent state. In the
!         worst case, unrecoverable data corruption might occur.
!         (Crashes of the database software itself are <emphasis>not</>
!         a risk factor here.  Only an operating-system-level crash
!         creates a risk of corruption.)
         </para>

         <para>
!         Due to the risks involved, there is no universally correct
!         setting for <varname>fsync</varname>. Some administrators
!         always disable <varname>fsync</varname>, while others only
!         turn it off during initial bulk data loads, where there is a clear
!         restart point if something goes wrong.  Others
!         always leave <varname>fsync</varname> enabled. The default is
!         to enable <varname>fsync</varname>, for maximum reliability.
!         If you trust your operating system, your hardware, and your
!         utility company (or your battery backup), you can consider
!         disabling <varname>fsync</varname>.
         </para>

         <para>
--- 1413,1435 ----
         </para>

         <para>
!         While turning off <varname>fsync</varname> is often a performance
!         benefit, this can result in unrecoverable data corruption in
!         the event of an unexpected system shutdown or crash.  Thus it
!         is only advisable to turn off  <varname>fsync</varname> if
!         you can easily recreate your entire database from external
!         data.
         </para>

         <para>
!         Examples of safe circumstances for turning off
!         <varname>fsync</varname> include the initial loading a new
!         database cluster from a backup file, using a database cluster
!         for processing statistics on an hourly basis which is then
!         recreated, or for a reporting read-only database clone which
!         gets recreated frequently and is not used for failover.  High
!         quality hardware alone is not a sufficient justification for

*** 1572,1583 ****

--- 1561,1570 ----