Re: no universally correct setting for fsync

От Yeb Havinga
Тема Re: no universally correct setting for fsync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>

>> The answer to this is:
>>
>> PostgreSQL.org recommends that this setting be left on at all
>> times.  Turning it off, may lead to data corruption.
>>
>> Anything else is circumstantial and based on knowledge and facts
>> we don't have about environmental factors.
>>

> Perhaps Josh's language for fsync could be modified to work here
> (we're now talking about full_page_writes, for anyone who's lost
> track):
>
> | it is only advisable to turn off fsync if you can easily recreate
> | your entire database from external data.
>
> That covers bulk loads to an empty or just-backed-up database and
> entirely redundant databases.  Saying it should never be turned off
> would tend to make one wonder why we have the setting at all.

Would the term "entirely redundant databases" include (synchronously)
replicated databases? (ps: I did indeed lose track about whether this is
about fsync or full_page_writes and did not get on the track again)

regards,
Yeb Havinga

От: Dmitry Fefelov
Сообщение: Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs
От: Takahiro Itagaki
Сообщение: Re: Patch for PKST timezone