Обсуждение: How does the partitioned lock manager works?

How does the partitioned lock manager works?

От
"rancpine cui"
Дата:
Hi,<br />    When the lock manager's data structures were split into "partitions", how many such data structures can
onepartition control? Since we use LOCKTAG's hash value to decide the partition which the lock should in, can all locks

Re: How does the partitioned lock manager works?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
rancpine cui wrote:
>    When the lock manager's data structures were split into "partitions",
> how many such data structures can one partition control?

The number of partitions is 16 (NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS). The total size of
the lock hash table is max_locks_per_xact * (max_connections +
max_prepared_xacts). So the number of "lock slots" per partition is
(max_locks_per_xact * (max_connections +
max_prepared_xacts))/NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS.

> Since we use
> LOCKTAG's hash value to decide the partition which the lock should in, can
> all locks be split into ONE partition?

In theory, yes. It's extremely unlikely to happen in practice.

Fwd: How does the partitioned lock manager works?

От
"rancpine cui"
Дата:
class="gmail_sendername">rancpinecui</b> <<a href="mailto:rancpine@gmail.com">rancpine@gmail.com</a>><br />Date:
2007-4-27下午9:22<br /> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How does the partitioned lock manager works?<br />To: Heikki Linnakangas
:-)<br/>I've seen from the README that <br />"The shared-memory hash tables for LOCKs and PROCLOCKs are organized<br
/>sothat different partitions use different hash chains, and thus there<br />is no conflict in working with objects in
differentpartitions." <br />   What does "hash chains" mean?<br />   As the dynahash.c's "partitioned table" mechanism
suggests,a lock's<br />bucket number can be calculated from its hash value, then it will be<br />inserted into that
bucket,sohow does partition number works? <br />   Is it only a flag which suggests the partition the lock belongs to
when<br/>we want to use that lock? I can't find a way to manage locks via partition...<br />

Re: Fwd: How does the partitioned lock manager works?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
rancpine cui escribió:

> I've seen from the README that
> "The shared-memory hash tables for LOCKs and PROCLOCKs are organized
> so that different partitions use different hash chains, and thus there
> is no conflict in working with objects in different partitions."
>   What does "hash chains" mean?

Each "hash chain" is a different, separate, independent hash struct.

>   As the dynahash.c's "partitioned table" mechanism suggests, a lock's
> bucket number can be calculated from its hash value, then it will be
> inserted into that bucket,so how does partition number works?

Which hash is used depends on the partition number.

Re: Fwd: How does the partitioned lock manager works?

Дата:
> rancpine cui escribi�:
>> What does "hash chains" mean?

> Each "hash chain" is a different, separate, independent hash struct.

It's pretty much equivalent to "hash bucket" --- this comment says chain
because it's focusing on the physical representation of the bucket as a
linked list, whereas "bucket" doesn't presume anything about how the
elements in the bucket are stored.
        regards, tom lane