Обсуждение: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside a transcation should abort the transaction.

TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside a transcation should abort the transaction.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

Is this really a TODO or is this someone being overzealous with the TODO
list?

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is this really a TODO or is this someone being overzealous with the TODO
> list?

>  Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside a transcation should abort
> the transaction.

Well, right now, BEGIN inside a transaction just issues a warning:
test=> BEGIN;BEGINtest=> BEGIN;WARNING:  there is already a transaction in progressBEGINtest=> SELECT 1;
?column?----------       1(1 row)test=> COMMIT;COMMIT

I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
don't want the item completed.

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>             1
>     (1 row)
>
>     test=> COMMIT;
>     COMMIT
>
> I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
> that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
> don't want the item completed.

Well I can tell you that my customers who are postgresql users ;) would
howl in fury if we did that. They are already significantly irritated
that certain errors are so strict. E.g.,

postgres=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
postgres=# ALTER TABLE baz ADD COLUMN bar text;
ERROR:  relation "baz" does not exist
postgres=# SELECT * FROM foo;
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block

You do not need to argue with me about the purpose :), I understand why
it is just really frustrating for many users.

I would say that a GUC variable for such behavior as listed in the TODO
is overzealous. We should either enforce it, or not. As we do not now,
there is no reason imo to change it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
> I would say that a GUC variable for such behavior as listed in the TODO
> is overzealous. We should either enforce it, or not. As we do not now,
> there is no reason imo to change it.

Not only is it overzealous, but the proposal to have one reflects a
failure to learn from history.  GUC variables that change
transaction-boundary semantics are a bad idea, period: see autocommit.
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> > I would say that a GUC variable for such behavior as listed in the TODO
> > is overzealous. We should either enforce it, or not. As we do not now,
> > there is no reason imo to change it.
>
> Not only is it overzealous, but the proposal to have one reflects a
> failure to learn from history.  GUC variables that change
> transaction-boundary semantics are a bad idea, period: see autocommit.

Nod. Let's get this TODO removed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 13:52 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > I would say that a GUC variable for such behavior as listed in the TODO
> > > is overzealous. We should either enforce it, or not. As we do not now,
> > > there is no reason imo to change it.
> >
> > Not only is it overzealous, but the proposal to have one reflects a
> > failure to learn from history.  GUC variables that change
> > transaction-boundary semantics are a bad idea, period: see autocommit.
>
> Nod. Let's get this TODO removed.

OK, removed.

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 28 December 2006 15:44, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > Not only is it overzealous, but the proposal to have one reflects a
> > > failure to learn from history.  GUC variables that change
> > > transaction-boundary semantics are a bad idea, period: see autocommit.
> >
> > Nod. Let's get this TODO removed.
>
> OK, removed.

I thought this was needed for spec compliance?  If we have no plans to even
attempt to support it, istm that ought to be noted someplace.

--
Robert Treat

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> I thought this was needed for spec compliance?

BEGIN isn't in the spec at all ...

Now you could point to the spec for START TRANSACTION, which saith
        1) If a <start transaction statement> statement is executed when an           SQL-transaction is currently
active,then an exception condition           is raised: invalid transaction state - active SQL-transaction.

However, seeing that the spec doesn't think that an exception necessarily
aborts the transaction, I think the case for saying that ERROR is more
spec-compliant here than WARNING is mighty thin.

And if you want to hold our feet to the fire about whether errors abort
transactions or not, this particular point is not one thousandth part
of what would need to change.
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 19:52 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Not only is it overzealous, but the proposal to have one reflects a
> failure to learn from history.  GUC variables that change
> transaction-boundary semantics are a bad idea, period: see autocommit.

But this option would not, in fact, change the transaction-boundary semantics.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 18:57 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
> that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
> don't want the item completed.

The reason this was added is that modular applications expect that a locally
issued BEGIN ... COMMIT executes a transaction, whereas now you don't know
what you're getting.  I think this change would have merit.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 18:57 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>> I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
>> that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
>> don't want the item completed.

> The reason this was added is that modular applications expect that a locally
> issued BEGIN ... COMMIT executes a transaction, whereas now you don't know
> what you're getting.  I think this change would have merit.

But how is making BEGIN an error going to improve life for such an
application?  It'll be just as broken.  In fact, if the app depends on
getting an error from BEGIN in any critical way, it'll be *more* broken
if it's ever run under the default warning-only setting.
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
"news.postgresql.org"
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 18:57 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>>> I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
>>> that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
>>> don't want the item completed.
>
>> The reason this was added is that modular applications expect that a locally
>> issued BEGIN ... COMMIT executes a transaction, whereas now you don't know
>> what you're getting.  I think this change would have merit.
>
> But how is making BEGIN an error going to improve life for such an
> application?  It'll be just as broken.  In fact, if the app depends on
> getting an error from BEGIN in any critical way, it'll be *more* broken
> if it's ever run under the default warning-only setting.

While we are on the topic, I have implemented a poor mans nested
transaction feature into my database access layer. essentially
subsequent calls to begin a transaction after the initial begin simply
increase an internal counter and set a savepoint. as you commit the
transactions the counter is decreased and the savepoints are released.
maybe this could be implemented inside postgresql to make the life of
modular programmers easier?

regards,
Lukas

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
news.postgresql.org wrote:

> While we are on the topic, I have implemented a poor mans nested
> transaction feature into my database access layer. essentially
> subsequent calls to begin a transaction after the initial begin simply
> increase an internal counter and set a savepoint. as you commit the
> transactions the counter is decreased and the savepoints are released.
> maybe this could be implemented inside postgresql to make the life of
> modular programmers easier?

Yeah, it's called "SAVEPOINT foo" and "RELEASE foo".

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> news.postgresql.org wrote:
>
>> While we are on the topic, I have implemented a poor mans nested
>> transaction feature into my database access layer. essentially
>> subsequent calls to begin a transaction after the initial begin simply
>> increase an internal counter and set a savepoint. as you commit the
>> transactions the counter is decreased and the savepoints are released.
>> maybe this could be implemented inside postgresql to make the life of
>> modular programmers easier?
>
> Yeah, it's called "SAVEPOINT foo" and "RELEASE foo".

Err, I think you misunderstood what I said. My implementation uses
SAVEPOINTs already. The point is having some API where you do not have
to care of you are already in a transaction or not. Depending on if you
are it will either open a new transaction or simply place a savepoint.

with the following invented commands:
MBEGIN FOO1 // open transaction; set counter to 1
MBEGIN FOO2 // set savepoint FOO2; set counter to 2
MBEGIN FOO3 // set savepoint FOO3; set counter to 3
MROLLBACK FOO3 // rollback to FOO3; set counter to 2
MCOMMIT FOO2 // release FOO2; set counter to 1
MCOMMIT FOO1 // commit

regards,
Lukas

regards,
Lukas

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 11:53 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 18:57 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
> > that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
> > don't want the item completed.
>
> The reason this was added is that modular applications expect that a locally
> issued BEGIN ... COMMIT executes a transaction, whereas now you don't know
> what you're getting.  I think this change would have merit.

Interesting point. My only comment is, "Do it one way or the other,
don't give me a user or a distribution packager a foot gun."

E.g., no GUC parameter. Just change the behavior or don't.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

Дата:
Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org> writes:
> Err, I think you misunderstood what I said. My implementation uses
> SAVEPOINTs already. The point is having some API where you do not have
> to care of you are already in a transaction or not.

It's not that hard, is it?
if (PQtransactionStatus(conn) == PQTRANS_IDLE)    PQexec(conn, "BEGIN");else    PQexec(conn, "SAVEPOINT foo");
        regards, tom lane

Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

От
"Gurjeet Singh"
Дата: